If you were Battle’s advisor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you were Battle’s advisor

Lets be honest, our kids that have left early haven't excelled at the next level, esp early......unless he's a lottery pick why go?

Part of this is selfish me wanting to see him back for another year in Orange!

What he ought to do is to get a clear-eyed assessment and that’s always a difficult thing to get.

My observation is that players who are not good students and who don’t enjoy college are always going to jump. They put great weight on people telling them what they want to hear.

Battle is, apparently, a good student in a good major. So he does have a choice and he can listen with with a critical ear.

He’s a great athlete and he is mentally and physically tough. But he’s not a finished product. He can do that in college or somewhere else. If he’s happy where he is, than I think there's a good chance he will come back.

I was waiting for someone to mention the fact that he's a good student. So, I referenced this in a thread, but my advice would be the following:

If you are dead set on going, then go. I say that with no ill will or animosity. What he's done here is admirable and impressive to a large degree. Godspeed. There is also no 'wrong' decision assuming he gets drafted and has a shot to stick somewhere.

However, if you're interested in making a decision on a career vs. a quick payday (and again, sometimes that quick payday turns into a long career, so again, not judging that call) there's a strong case to be made for returning. Here it is:

1. You're all-acc academic, so worst-case scenario you're pretty close to your degree 13 months from now. You may even have enough credits to graduate. On the off-chance you don't make $250M playing basketball, that thing will come in handy.

2. You enjoy playing college basketball. Everyone seems to feel this is indentured servitude but ultimately you're on a cool campus playing a sport with a bunch of dudes you like, playing in a cool conference and there is very little chance next year's group misses the tourney, which is an awesome experience.

3. There is absolutely no evidence the G-League nor the NBA serves as an ideal -- or at least optimal platform -- for improving your game. Seriously, battle needs to improve his range and his shooting, he needs touches to become a better play-maker for teammates and he may need to address the hitch in his shot. Those things aren't happening in a Clippers/Warriors game. They are happening in Grand Rapids or somewhere ... but even there we haven't seen a lot of players emerge from the D-League to be regular rotation guys in the NBA. It's happened but a guy like Quinn Cook has played really well in the G League for three years. He's now getting some minutes for the decimated Warriors, but he's got 36 total nba games under his belt and there is absolutely no guarantee it ever happens. Point is -- there's a case to be made that your best chance of improving your game (regardless of draft status) is by getting a ton of touches and reps while playing at the cuse.

4. You are playing for a coach that is going to let you be the lead dog and is going to let you do your thing. You want to show off your improved shooting and improved range? Go ahead. You want to show off your ability to drive and kick to an open teammate? Go ahead. You want to tinker with your mechanics on the shot? Let's do it. This isn't like being in some specific, military-style system. You've got freedom.

I don't know -- I can see going, but the bottom line is he could be looking at a mid-second round pick and he has obvious holes in his game right now. I'm totally fine with him going, but the idea that coming back would be a 'bad' decision is a fallacy in my mind.

If I was his advisor I'd say stop trying to hang in the air on your deep jump shots when you're open. Watch tape of Ray Allen and emulate his jump shot. If you can do that, you'll be an allstar.

He gone.

Any improvement he makes in college is mitigated by him being an upperclassman.

I disagree to the extent that the NBA isn't looking to develop you. If it happens, that's great, but Jeremi Grant got drafted as a rotation piece who plays defense and rebounds. Several years later he's a rotation piece who plays defense and rebounds. If they could put him in the stands on offense, they would. Now would he be any better had he come back for a year? I don't know, but it's worth noting that development is something that comes from reps and touches. If you're not at a certain level, you don't get the opportunity to get those touches and reps in game action at the NBA level.

He needs to go... with the talent coming in next year along with the other returners he won't have the opportunity to be the same high usage rate player he was this year (hopefully). Additionally I don't think JB's offensive strategy, or lack thereof, is going to help Battle get ready for the pros. If he comes back another year it will just give teams another year to find new weaknesses and potentially get hurt.

I don’t think him taking fewer shots/scoring fewer points next year(if that’s what happens) will affect his draft status. Especially if he shows improvement in other areas. I think scouts know he can score, and they know how to take things into context based on his role on the team. I’d think/hope they don’t hold his lower FG% against him this year because there were too many times where he had to carry a huge load while the defense loaded up on stopping him.

IMO, he probably scores a few less points, and the FG and 3 point %’s go up a few points next year.

Very split on this matter. As an old-timer, I yearn for the days when college players went to college to play for 4 years and to earn a college degree. That said, how do we classify Tyrus' year at Syracuse. In my eyes, he is their #1 player and scorer as well as the NCAA leader in minutes played/game this year. His shooting percentage is not outstanding but as Syracuse's number 1 scorer, he is constantly guarded and sometimes double teamed by their opponents. He is a true gamer. What happens next year when Bazley, Carey, Hughes and Boeheim are available to play? Will Tyrus still be the #1 scorer/player or hopefully the ball will move around and more players will be involved in the scoring?

While I have a lot of respect for him and his abilities, he definitely is not a lottery pick this year and probably not next year. If he went to the combine and received a guarantee that he would be a first round pick, I would say that he should go to the NBA and take the money (who knows what could happen if an injury occurs if he stayed). Like Malik Richardson, I do not feel that Tyrus is ready but who knows if him staying would improve his marketability.

Last edited:
Like everyone has said, go to the combine, get evaluated

But if this man comes back, we are going to be preseason top 3 with everyone returning plus our incoming class. It will be special. That being said, I don't think he comes back

Cool there is 1 or 2 each year. Real good chances there. He was also a role player until this season so it's a completely pointless comparison.

Wrong again! Mikal Bridges as a soph played in all 36 of 'Nova's games, and started 33 of them. He averaged about 30 minutes/game; 10 points/game; 5 rebounds/game' 2 assists/game. He shot nearly 55% from the field and 39% from the 3 point line. Hardly a role player.

Last edited:
what would you say? Obviously a trip without an agent to the combine is automatic. But if they suggest he may go late first round or early second should he? What is his 2019 draft potential? Is sharing the limelight with Oshae and Darius too threatening? Our chances for a national championship with him is very feasible but not guaranteed. Would we possibly have 3 lottery picks in one draft? Makes me dizzy
I would tell him he should go. He had a foot problem freshman year and if he comes back and hurts it the league could view it as a recurring thing. He isn’t going to come back and improve his outside shot and be a 40% plus shooter from deep. He had good size and if he can convince a team his numbers shooting are lower because he was the primary option with little offensive help maybe he is a early 2nd round pick or end of the 1st if he is lucky. I see that as his ceiling.

I was waiting for someone to mention the fact that he's a good student. So, I referenced this in a thread, but my advice would be the following:

3. There is absolutely no evidence the G-League nor the NBA serves as an ideal -- or at least optimal platform -- for improving your game. .

Less classes to study for, = more time to work on improving your game

Lets be honest, our kids that have left early haven't excelled at the next level, esp early...unless he's a lottery pick why go?

Part of this is selfish me wanting to see him back for another year in Orange!
How many guys from any school excel at the next level? Just making an NBA roster is a tremendous achievement, and SU has had many players do that recently.

Last edited:
How many guys from any school excel at the level? Just making an NBA roster is a tremendous achievement, and SU has had many players do that recently.

It's all opinion obviously but I truly believe that the main one who made the right call is Ennis. He would have been picked apart every additional year he would have stayed. Instead he had/has a decent career as an NBA backup with millions in the bank.

It's all opinion obviously but I truly believe that the main one who made the right call is Ennis. He would have been picked apart every additional year he would have stayed. Instead he had/has a decent career as an NBA backup with millions in the bank.
I agree with that. But I also think all of our other recent early entrants made the right decisions for themselves in terms of getting to the NBA.

Less classes to study for, = more time to work on improving your game

Donovan Mitchell has played fewer than 20 in a game three times in 67 games and was the 13th pick in an insanely deep top end of the 2017 draft. It's safe to say he was a pretty freaking impressive player the day he got selected.

Regardless, I think people overlook the nuance in the path to improvement and want to connect Point A (getting rid of classes, playing in the NBA) to Point B (much better player who plays his way into the rotation) suggesting that is the only way to improve.

I'm not doubting that getting rid of classes and playing basketball full time is beneficial for these guys. But opportunity and touches are HUGE for these guys as well, especially if you need to score to stick in the NBA.

I looked at the top 25 in scoring earlier in the year and only two of the top 25 came in and didn't score 10+ ppg from day 1. One was Kyle Lowry (who has the advantage of being a point guard and contributing in other ways) and the other was Khawi. But Khawi averaged 8 ppg on a team that went to the western conference finals and had parker/ginobli/gary neal/richard jefferson/Danny Green on the roster. Forcing your way into that rotation is pretty impressive.

So, anyway, not arguing that getting to the NBA can help a player's development -- merely suggesting that it's not the only way for these guys to get significantly better and that, in many cases, it's not terribly helpful. I also would be very wary of the G League until it starts acting as a true funnel to the NBA the way MiLB supports MLB. The idea that Quinn Cook has absolutely dominated for three years (we're not talking good, we're talking ridiculous -- 23 ppg on close to 50/40/90 stats -- 48.5/39.3/89.8) and he's still not really playing in a real rotation in the NBA is pretty damning of that league.

That's an excellent story. But you can do the same story with CJ Fair and Rak Christmas too.

Kyle Wiltjer in the story was graduated as well. There's just not many open spots in the NBA
To me that was a depressing story.

Realistically, it's probably the most likely outcome for battle. He'll get drafted, probably not get a ton of time. End up in the g league, then probably do an overseas tour for a while.

If he leaves after his Junior year, will that story really change? Probably not.

One more year of being a star sounds a whole lot better than everything I read in that story.

To me that was a depressing story.

Realistically, it's probably the most likely outcome for battle. He'll get drafted, probably not get a ton of time. End up in the g league, then probably do an overseas tour for a while.

If he leaves after his Junior year, will that story really change? Probably not.

One more year of being a star sounds a whole lot better than everything I read in that story.

And a degree when you get sick of shuttling around Europe or Grand Rapids is a nice thing to have. Again, I'm cool with Battle doing whatever but this whole 'go as soon as humanly possible' vibe is in no way, shape or form the right answer for every kid. Not that there's a wrong answer, per se, but it's not an open and shut case.

Yeah and I feel like Malachi was probably smart to jump on the first-round grade when he got it. Hurt us, unfortunately, but probably smart for him.

That's an excellent story. But you can do the same story with CJ Fair and Rak Christmas too.

Kyle Wiltjer in the story was graduated as well. There's just not many open spots in the NBA

Not really. Those 2 weren't one and dones, the UK thought they were ready. Some more maturity and muscle would not have hurt.

Yeah and I feel like Malachi was probably smart to jump on the first-round grade when he got it. Hurt us, unfortunately, but probably smart for him.

Really? Kid gets hurt pretty quick, traded and has basically been a minor leaguer for two years and is already churn. He stays, develops, goes in a higher slot...

Really? Kid gets hurt pretty quick, traded and has basically been a minor leaguer for two years and is already churn. He stays, develops, goes in a higher slot...

That would have been my call but i could have seen his game get picked apart and maybe never get that first-round grade again. Now maybe that doesn't matter if he enters the league as a more consistent shooter and better overall player. So who knows I guess. I just was surprised to see him get the grade he got.

I think potential one and done changes affect him as well. If NBA changes the rule and allows HS kids back in the draft next year, he could slide if he comes back. He’d be competing against this years HS Sr’s (Bazley class) and HS Jr’s in same draft...

Battle should go, and will go. I'd put it at 95% chance he leaves. I'd be very, very surprised if he returns.

Oshae is the one I'm worried about. I've been saying for months I think he's likely to leave as well. I'd say 60% chance Oshae leaves. Would be ecstatic if he returns, he and Bazley would be dynamic on the wings. We haven't seen that combination of size, athleticism, and skill on the wings since... maybe Carmelo and Warrick. Wes/KJo were good, as were KJo/Fair, and Fair/Southerland... but Brissett/Bazley might top all of those.