If you were king for a day, what would you change about our program? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If you were king for a day, what would you change about our program?

I, and many others here, enjoy talking about basketball. Last time I checked, nobody appointed you the arbiter in charge of approving board topics -- if you don't like a topic, then don't open a thread.

The only thing that falls flat is your attempt to stifle board discussion. Thumbs down.

As I said in another post, seems to me the last thing you want is any kind of discussion other than the toads agreeing with the brilliance of your positions and observations

But

Stifle discussion? Stifle discussion? You gotta be kidding.

You obviously aren’t interested in discussion. You want sycophants and toadies to agree with you. You certainly aren’t interested in people like me disagreeing with you.

Seems to me that in 19,200 posts you’ve at least your share of the opportunity to discuss basketball.
if someone made 19,200 posts about your pomposity, i would like 19,200 of them

You want to insult me? Fine I deserve it from time to time but for you even to attempt to take a shot at RF2044 who is probably one of the top 5 posters on this board is beyond disrespectful.
If anyone is a “toadie” look in the mirror.
Ignore posts if you don’t like them.
The OP doesn’t need to justify anything to you.

Good god your post is so disrespectful. RF2044 gives more inside and info than almost anyone.
I would say it more strong but I am not getting in trouble for you.

Stop with the drama. It won’t work on me.

Disagreement is not necessarily disrespect.

This thread ought to be retitled “Ways in which the SU b-ball program has disappointed me”

But

Stifle discussion? Stifle discussion? You gotta be kidding.

You obviously aren’t interested in discussion. You want sycophants and toadies to agree with you. You certainly aren’t interested in people like me disagreeing with you.

Seems to me that in 19,200 posts you’ve at least your share of the opportunity to discuss basketball.

most here support jb, but many do not support him right or wrong on all issues as u seem to do.

so just for fun, please raise three issues that u think could be basis for improving the program so we can get this thread back on track for serious sports talk.

if u do not agree w anything rf raised, it would be most interesting to get your thoughts.

This thread ought to be retitled “Ways in which the SU b-ball program has disappointed me”
The OP isn’t me.
I can be polarizing I acknowledge that.
You insulted a poster who didn’t deserve it.
That is the entire crux of my post.

There is nothing wrong with the post. The OP probably has gone to more practices than almost anyone on this board.
He is team-JB thru and thru. That poster did not deserve your insult.

Good grief--just because that is the attribution YOU make doesn't mean that's what was written or intended.

Case in point: your criticism about me discussing "zero assists.," when what was actually written discussed zero fast break point. You can "disagree with me" all you want -- be my guest. But when you bluster pedantically over things that haven't been posted, expect to get push back. Perhaps if you read what was actually written instead of rushing to indignantly spout rhetoric, your perspectives wouldn't seem so off target.

Last edited:
You want to insult me? Fine I deserve it from time to time but for you even to attempt to take a shot at RF2044 who is probably one of the top 5 posters on this board is beyond disrespectful.
If anyone is a “toadie” look in the mirror.
Ignore posts if you don’t like them.
The OP doesn’t need to justify anything to you.

Good god your post is so disrespectful. RF2044 gives more insight on the program and info than almost anyone.
I would say it more strong but I am not getting in trouble for you.

Alsacs, thank you very much -- I appreciate the sentiment, but you don't have to defend me. I don't know about all that praise.

Per what Orange79 states above, just ignore Townie -- he's accomplished what he intended by derailing the thread.

good point, another title might be "name all the reasons you would be a better coach than JB"

Alsacs, thank you very much -- I appreciate the sentiment, but you don't have to defend me. I don't know about all that.

Per what Orange79 states above, just ignore Townie -- he's accomplished what he intended by derailing the thread.

You took all the good ones, but I’d like to see the return of mid season non-con games like UCLA in 2000 and MSU in 2003.

You took all the good ones, but I’d like to see the return of mid season non-con games like UCLA in 2000 and MSU in 2003.

I'd like that also but think that's in the past, especially after we expand to 20 conference games.

With the ACC having 15 teams we could easily play a nonconference game during the conference season.
It would just replace one of our two byes the weekend one most likely.

If we ever played Washington home/home we could do it when they get their bye and only play Washington State.

All PAC-12 teams get byes when they play their State or region rival.

This is an absolutely horrific topic especially in light of SU getting in another NCAA tourney.

All this is is an opportunity for the critics, whiners and frustrated coaching geniuses to tell us yet another time how the program is mismanaged.

This is just regurgitating of the same old stuff these guys have been complaining about on here for years.

You know it's funny...I was going to say it was one of the best posts ever on this board and from this group.

I only go back as far as the AOL board pre-Syracuse.com, so what do I know.

It's a great post. And the difference in how you see it and how it was intended is a microcosm of why this board stinks (should rhyme with ducks) a lot of time.

44cuse

Can you name any 3 of the starting 5 of syracuse's basketball team?

It's not worth answering again. How did our returning soph starting center turn out this ye... Wait?
so..it's my fault that TT is a weirdo, what the hell are you talking about. gillon and white couldn't make a tournament. the other kid is a quitter. screw grad transfers.

anyone want to argue with me about the Toadies being a decent band?

The toadies played at the K-Rock-a-thon some time in the 90s. Although they were pretty deep on the card, they were the best live act -- bar none -- that year, IMO.

Freaking love that band. They put on a helluva show. I've actually seen them live three times.

The toadies played at the K-Rock-a-thon some time in the 90s. Although they were pretty deep on the card, they were the best live act -- bar none -- that year, IMO.

Freaking love that band. They put on a helluva show. I've actually seen them live three times.

at Vernon Downs, mid 90s? I was there. Great set.

Actually, your inevitably / predictably bombastic, offended, flummoxed, histrionic-laced response is what has, is, and always will be horrific.

It's hilarious [and sad] -- every one of your posts makes me think of Ignatius J. Reilly.

View attachment 124535
funniest book ever written, A Confederacy of Dunces.

Last edited:
  • Recruit true lead guards -- this correlates with my first bullet above, but takes it a step further. College basketball is a heavily guard-driven game, and if there is one position where you shouldn't sacrifice skill for size, it's at point guard. Combo guards might provide bigger targets for the opposition to shoot over up top, but what we sacrifice in terms of running the team isn't worth the trade off. And please note that JB has shown a willingness to recruit smaller point guards [examples--Flynn, GMac, Green last year], so it isn't unprecedented. But we shouldn't make trade offs with respect to the most important position on the floor.
i don't think this is absolutely necessary. i go back to andy rautins - nobody's idea of a true lead guard, but he flourished in that role on the 2010 team. the key - and this goes to several other of your points - is to not just recruiting physical types that fit the system, but to get guys like andy who are going to give you 100% buy in. that is the main thing i took from the recent jay wright interview. after a few down years for his program, he went all in on program guys first. i don't think you need to build solely around 4 year guys like wright is trying to do, but the short timers that you do get have to be fully on board with the system. especially at the lead guard position.

fwiw, i think we've got that from frank.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem w the thread topic and the OP (as per usual) makes sound arguments. just feel like the timing is kind of odd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom