I'll say it | Syracusefan.com

I'll say it

Southerland stretches the defense more than anyone else on this team. That is something this team really needs.

Ill take jerami grant any day of the week over southerland (obviously I want both), and this isn't a knock on southerland.

This kid is good. You can't teach bball iq and he has it.
I am also of this opinion.

IQ, aggression, and confidence. Winners need all three, and JG appears to have them all in abundance.

Southerland stretches the defense more than anyone else on this team. That is something this team really needs.

Stretching the defense matters when you have post scoring. We have little, so it's not as important as you think. Cooney and Triche need to keep hitting shots and this will keep the defense honest.

I do agree with the premise of your post. His range and ability to get hot is deadly, especially when he sets his feet.

Ill take jerami grant any day of the week over southerland (obviously I want both), and this isn't a knock on southerland.

This kid is good. You can't teach bball iq and he has it.

Except this team is better with just JS that it is with just JG. Besides, right now JS is a better player.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Except this team is better with just JS that it is with just JG. Besides, right now JS is a better player.

I disagree with you.

I'll agree with that, just based on pure experience.

Stretching the defense matters when you have post scoring. We have little, so it's not as important as you think. Cooney and Triche need to keep hitting shots and this will keep the defense honest.

I do agree with the premise of your post. His range and ability to get hot is deadly, especially when he sets his feet.

I think more than anything it opens things up for MCW and Triche going to the basket. I absolutely LOVE Grant, I just think, as you said, Southerland has the ability to be instant offense. We need that in my opinion, and I don't think Grant is there yet.

I think more than anything it opens things up for MCW and Triche going to the basket. I absolutely LOVE Grant, I just think, as you said, Southerland has the ability to be instant offense. We need that in my opinion, and I don't think Grant is there yet.

Agreed. Regardless of our record, it's very obvious this team has offensive deficiencies. It'll be tough to keep riding the backs of our guards. We NEED to feed the post more.

Then you must also disagree with JB.

Did he say as much in the presser? I will certainly give JS the nod offensively. But I like everything else Jerami does better. And I think the reason is he's 96% more cerebral.

Agreed. Regardless of our record, it's very obvious this team has offensive deficiencies. It'll be tough to keep riding the backs of our guards. We NEED to feed the post more.
at one point Rak had cashmere wright guarding him. I was screaming at MCW to dump it down. But he didn't hear me... through the television.

Southerland is key if we want to win it all. Can't win 6 games in a row like we played Sat and Mon againsgt good teams. I love Grant and all this PT for him helps us as a team but James is the only shooter that we have that scares anyone and spreads the floor for us.

Two completely different players. Grant has a cj fair game with higher upside. Southerland takes pressure of Brandon and mcw on the perimeter. Guys are reluctant to help off of him giving them more open lanes to the paint. It's good to have to many good players. We saw that last year.

Two completely different players. Grant has a cj fair game with higher upside. Southerland takes pressure of Brandon and mcw on the perimeter. Guys are reluctant to help off of him giving them more open lanes to the paint. It's good to have to many good players. We saw that last year.
here here.

i like JG out there as well. You can usually tell what kind of game JS is going to have after his first couple shots. Even if he does come back, and i don't feel good about that, i think (hope) JG has at least shown enough to earn a split in PT. He can do so much JS can't. Sure JS can shoot, but he is not nearly as good defensively, and not even close to as good of a rebounder. These 2 compliment each other so well it will be a shame if we never get to see him again.

It amazes me how some fans cannot see the subtleties of a player's game, yet claim one is better than the other. Southerland brings a lot more to the table than some of you give him credit for.

This is a good debate to have. Love me some Southerland but that prov game drove me nuts. I understand you have the green light and ur a heck of a shooter but good lord let the offense come to you. He was taking threes at 25 secs left on the shot clock that you can get anytime. Its been nice running sets these past few games and seeing BT, CJ and MCW create for themselves and their teammates.

JG is an excellent player. Great rebounder, good finisher around the rim, can shoot w touch, and he can defend. All that said its really nice to have that pure shooter to keep the D honest. If JS can come back at least we'll know what we have in JG and Jimmy can get Fair and Dirty some rest at times.

It amazes me how some fans cannot see the subtleties of a player's game, yet claim one is better than the other. Southerland brings a lot more to the table than some of you give him credit for.

I'm not claiming one is better than the other. Define "better"?

I'm not claiming one is better than the other. Define "better"?
Does more things and does them well, offensively and defensively, including the little things that the average fan does not know to look for.

I find it odd that this thread would occur after today's game. Sometimes the box score doesn't tell you all you need to know about how a player may have contributed more than his stats show. Conversely, sometimes it doesn't tell you how POORLY a player may have played as well. Today Grant was absolutely god awful in the zone, particularly in the second half. Most of the three's (both made and missed) in the second half (many of which were wide open looks) were as a direct result of his inability to play the zone properly. Sure sometimes it LOOKED like it was Trevor or MCW out of position, but most of the time they were put in a tough spot covering for something Grant messed up.

Now dont get it twisted and say I am a Grant hater. Love his game. But he was certainly not adequate today on defense.

This is a good debate to have. Love me some Southerland but that prov game drove me nuts. I understand you have the green light and ur a heck of a shooter but good lord let the offense come to you. He was taking threes at 25 secs left on the shot clock that you can get anytime. Its been nice running sets these past few games and seeing BT, CJ and MCW create for themselves and their teammates.

JG is an excellent player. Great rebounder, good finisher around the rim, can shoot w touch, and he can defend. All that said its really nice to have that pure shooter to keep the D honest. If JS can come back at least we'll know what we have in JG and Jimmy can get Fair and Dirty some rest at times.

Knowing what we know now, I'm happy to give Southerland a pass for the Providence game.

Grant's going to be very good in the future. In the present, he's exceeded expectations. But this team needs Southerland back in the worst way. He's the best shooter and wing defender we've got.

i like JG out there as well. You can usually tell what kind of game JS is going to have after his first couple shots. Even if he does come back, and i don't feel good about that, i think (hope) JG has at least shown enough to earn a split in PT. He can do so much JS can't. Sure JS can shoot, but he is not nearly as good defensively, and not even close to as good of a rebounder. These 2 compliment each other so well it will be a shame if we never get to see him again.

Did you know that JG gets as many minutes as JS got and their rebound stats are equal only using JG's last 3 games?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom