I'll say it | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'll say it

I find it odd that this thread would occur after today's game. Sometimes the box score doesn't tell you all you need to know about how a player may have contributed more than his stats show. Conversely, sometimes it doesn't tell you how POORLY a player may have played as well. Today Grant was absolutely god awful in the zone, particularly in the second half. Most of the three's (both made and missed) in the second half (many of which were wide open looks) were as a direct result of his inability to play the zone properly. Sure sometimes it LOOKED like it was Trevor or MCW out of position, but most of the time they were put in a tough spot covering for something Grant messed up.

Now dont get it twisted and say I am a Grant hater. Love his game. But he was certainly not adequate today on defense.

Had Grant simply been mediocre in the zone, Boeheim wouldn't have given Triche his first career minutes at small forward.

This is a very curious time for people to be beating the Grant drum. He struggled a bit today.

Did you know that JG gets as many minutes as JS got and their rebound stats are equal only using JG's last 3 games?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That is my only complaint with JS. He can jump through the roof but rebounds like he is 5'8".

I find it odd that this thread would occur after today's game. Sometimes the box score doesn't tell you all you need to know about how a player may have contributed more than his stats show. Conversely, sometimes it doesn't tell you how POORLY a player may have played as well. Today Grant was absolutely god awful in the zone, particularly in the second half. Most of the three's (both made and missed) in the second half (many of which were wide open looks) were as a direct result of his inability to play the zone properly. Sure sometimes it LOOKED like it was Trevor or MCW out of position, but most of the time they were put in a tough spot covering for something Grant messed up.

Now dont get it twisted and say I am a Grant hater. Love his game. But he was certainly not adequate today on defense.

CJ Fair is no Tony Allen either. I see what you are saying though.

I wonder how many shot fakes we have fallen for this year?

Does more things and does them well, offensively and defensively, including the little things that the average fan does not know to look for.
I'm an extraordinary fan!.. big time.

I'm not claiming one is better than the other. Define "better"?

I am. And right niece JS is better. But in addition to that THIS team NEEDS what JS brings more than what JG brings.

CJ Fair is no Tony Allen either. I see what you are saying though.

I wonder how many shot fakes we have fallen for this year?

I love when we fall for shot fakes from some dude at the foul line who has no prayer of making the shot. That seems to happen a lot.

Check the stats..Grant is looking good and he has been coming on, but JS has better stats..not just more minutes.

JS has better numbers (3rd best rebounder on the team)...steals per game...assists per game, blocks per game, free throw %. JS is more than just a shooter. He's not only a shooter.

I like Grant getting some good minutes..good long term for the team.

I am. And right niece JS is better. But in addition to that THIS team NEEDS what JS brings more than what JG brings.

I agree. Our offense is deficient and it's blatantly obvious.

I think JS is a better player.. ish... but the team needs Jerami more. I do think with JS we lose on Saturday, and maybe today if James has a poor shooting night.

That being said, its a great problem to have and I love this team. Special bunch with the potential to do great things. I am having a lot of fun watching them... my heart, not so much.

Stretching the defense matters when you have post scoring. We have little, so it's not as important as you think. Cooney and Triche need to keep hitting shots and this will keep the defense honest.

I do agree with the premise of your post. His range and ability to get hot is deadly, especially when he sets his feet.

No it doesn't! It allows driving lanes opens up the mid-range game etc. We had 22pt in a first half we dominated. JB was so concerned he played a 3 guard alignment for the first time this season. It didn't help us score and it weakened our defense. This team needs James back in the worst way. Saturday Triche when off so it wasn't as noticeable today we got lucky. Cooney made one 3 today the second was luck. Triche was 1-6 from 3. We need James!

Did you know that JG gets as many minutes as JS got and their rebound stats are equal only using JG's last 3 games?

numbers are the same, but imo JS has tendency to get beat on rebounds he should get because of smaller frame. JS has improved his rebounding a great deal, but JG has a better body to rebound when in position. He is much more active on the offensive glass. He is going to be huge on the glass in the future too if he can bulk up a little.

it always seemed we got killed on the offensive glass when baye and js were in together?

I love grant, but he provides short term gain, but long term pain on THIS team. Jsouth skills are more in demand.

Happy birthday Jake. No one can tell me your birthday didn't have an effect on the outcome.

Does anyone know Grant's wingspan? Gotta be around 7' at least.

I love when we fall for shot fakes from some dude at the foul line who has no prayer of making the shot. That seems to happen a lot.
I turned this into a drinking game... it'll get you drunk.

Happy birthday Jake. No one can tell me your birthday didn't have an effect on the outcome.

Does anyone know Grant's wingspan? Gotta be around 7' at least.
i'd go with 7'2", dudes got some lengthy arms.

James has more steals 21 to 19 than CJ in three less games and 184 less minutes he is very good in our defense. He also only has 5 less blocks.

I love grant, but he provides short term gain, but long term pain on THIS team. Jsouth skills are more in demand.
I just can't understand this rational? I don't mean to be a pain here, but I can see Grant only getting better and making this team a legit contender. Now I don't mean he should make JS ride the pine.. but he should definitely bite into some of JS's minutes.

This team definitely needs james shooting and "instant offense" potential more than anything grant brings to the table, which is a lot more than any of us expected. Love grant, but we ain't winning the whole damn thing without dirty.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

This team definitely needs james shooting and "instant offense" potential more than anything grant brings to the table, which is a lot more than any of us expected. Love grant, but we ain't winning the whole damn thing without dirty.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. We can't keep relying on Triche and MCW (late in the game) putting the team on their backs like this (Darren Sharper = Louisville and Cincy):

Its mind boggling that it isn't clear to everyone that without James teams are going to be able to block things up more and more against us going forward. As general20 said in his post Lville wrap up, teams are just starting to get tape on us post James and this is the first game we have seen against a coaching staff that obviously had studied that tape well. Its only going to get harder for us and Grant going forward as teams figure him and us out without James. We absolutely need James and not just offensively. Grant is a very good defender for a freshman but he reacts to the ball way too much and isn't sticking with the game plan which was clearly evident today when the rotations got messed up in the second half and Kilpatrick got hot.
I think Grant is great but James is clearly better right now on both ends. This PT for Grant is great for him and the team because it means when James comes back we can rest CJ and James a bit without having to play Rak on the wing. I think Grant can add a lot to the team but he adds less than James.

I think the reasoning that James is more important to our success than Grant is simple: he's a shooter. Shooters are something this team doesn't have a lot of. Triche is streaky, MCW has made some lately but his consistency remains to be seen, Cooney is literally hit or miss and Fair is a once in a while type of guy. Grant may have more upside, better basketball IQ, be a better rebounder, hell, he may be better overall than Southerland, but he can't do the one thing this team lacks: shoot from the outside. James can.

This is without even touching the defensive end of things.

Southerland doesnt just have to take minutes from Grant (assuming he comes back). CJ just played 40 minutes for the second straight game. He cant do that all season...especially in the BE tournament and NCAA tournament. Since the start of the BE schedule, Fair is averaging just over 38 minutes per game. Yikes.

having James on the wing opposite BT will make it way easier for MCW to get into the paint. If we don't get James back every team in the league will play a packed in zone and dare us to shoot. They will need to only pay attention to Brandon and will absolutely surround CJ every time he touches the ball. That's the recipe we'll see from here on out. JS is more important than JG. We need both because Rak seems aloof. Just once I would like to see him demand the ball on the box. Mr. Enigma has to be getting under JB's skin. I''d at least like to see him get some over the back rebound foul calls. Then I would be sure he's alive.

Ill take jerami grant any day of the week over southerland (obviously I want both), and this isn't a knock on southerland.

This kid is good. You can't teach bball iq and he has it.
You mean the bball iq that had Grant fouling the Cincy guy who was cowering in the lane with 1 second on the shot clock?
Or when Grant was taking it freelance to the hoop in a non-scripted fashion only to get bailed out by CJ?

It is a knock on Sutherland to say he hasn't learned anything in his 4 years here. And it is foolish to suggest that experience means nothing. And it is insane to think bball iq and experience aren't linked. Grant will get better and Grant will get smarter. And then watch out. Grant's time will come.

Wanting Grant over Dirty is letting your desire for the new overtake the rational experienced alternative. How many times was Dirty ever pulled for a 3 guard lineup? Seems like a bad week to want Grant over JS.

It is great to see Grant do well. And I hope he continues to see time when Dirty comes back. But make no mistake that it will be Dirty in there at crunch time - as it should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom