Illinois fires Lovie Smith / hires Bret Bielema | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Illinois fires Lovie Smith / hires Bret Bielema

Or maybe because this year did in fact matter

this take is getting to be as hard to swallow as that strong ale you brought to the fine mess (I think that was you).

we get it. Season counted. Fire Dino.

Lance Leipold is gonna get himself a strong job, I don’t know that I cash in for Illinois if I’m him.

He’s had success everywhere. He fits the MidWest, but I think he’d do great at one of the historical NorthEast P5’s as well.

this take is getting to be as hard to swallow as that strong ale you brought to the fine mess (I think that was you).

we get it. Season counted. Fire Dino.

LOL. Cool dude glad you made a personal attack!

The point isn’t fire Dino, it’s that we need to stop saying this season didn’t count. Because it did.

Im fine with Dino staying but I want to improvement.

Anyway, thanks for bringing publicity to The North Brewery.

Just like all places in this time we are struggling, please remember to support all of your local small businesses, even if they don’t say it, they need your help as most are barely hanging on right now and will be lucky to survive another shutdown.

Lance Leipold is gonna get himself a strong job, I don’t know that I cash in for Illinois if I’m him.

He’s had success everywhere. He fits the MidWest, but I think he’d do great at one of the historical NorthEast P5’s as well.
He has 43 New York players on his roster, so he must be very well liked by high school coaches across the state. If there's a coach who could lock up the best talent in NYS, it would be him.

Also, if you’re ever in the area. Stop in, one free pint on me.

110 Washington Ave, Endicott NY 13760

Not an attack man! It's all love here, just messing with you. I always respect your posts, you are just 3 for 3 on the fired coaches thread with the "season counted" idea.

I know there are a few people that seem to think this season did not count at all, but in reality, it did count, just not the same way it would have if we went 1-10 with our normal schedule. I am in agreement that we need to see serious improvement on the offense and in the win column. I don't think the AD would have made any comment at all about Dino's security if this season truly didn't count for anything.

I would love to check out the brewery. My first teaching job was in Endicott, loved living in that area, need to get back soon. I guess Strong Ale just may not be my thing. Sorry if my post read too jerkish!

Not an attack man! It's all love here, just messing with you. I always respect your posts, you are just 3 for 3 on the fired coaches thread with the "season counted" idea.

I know there are a few people that seem to think this season did not count at all, but in reality, it did count, just not the same way it would have if we went 1-10 with our normal schedule. I am in agreement that we need to see serious improvement on the offense and in the win column. I don't think the AD would have made any comment at all about Dino's security if this season truly didn't count for anything.

I would love to check out the brewery. My first teaching job was in Endicott, loved living in that area, need to get back soon. I guess Strong Ale just may not be my thing. Sorry if my post read too jerkish!

Sorry, if it came off strong, I just hate saying the season didn’t count because of injuries, opts outs etc. because it clearly did count and if we had gone 10-1 the same people saying it didn’t count would be out here saying it did. It doesn’t work both ways and just feels like a loser excuse to me.

I would rather say, shoot, we sucked this year, we need to fix some things but if we don’t a coaching change is neccesary

what type of beer do you normally drink?

Did you get a chance to try the keg of Orange Blossom at the one game?? Offer still stands, if you’re in the area stop in, first pint on me! If I’m there we will talk Cuse! Actually one of the co-owners is a Cuse grad and he played baseball for Cuse back in the day

Sorry, if it came off strong, I just hate saying the season didn’t count because of injuries, opts outs etc. because it clearly did count and if we had gone 10-1 the same people saying it didn’t count would be out here saying it did. It doesn’t work both ways and just feels like a loser excuse to me.

I would rather say, shoot, we sucked this year, we need to fix some things but if we don’t a coaching change is neccesary

what type of beer do you normally drink?

Did you get a chance to try the keg of Orange Blossom at the one game?? Offer still stands, if you’re in the area stop in, first pint on me! If I’m there we will talk Cuse! Actually one of the co-owners is a Cuse grad and he played baseball for Cuse back in the day

I think Dino truly is facing some hot seat next year if things are a mess again, but he may well get two years. I love Dino, but I am more nervous than I have ever been about his ability to be successful here (bowl game every year).

I am an IPA guy usually but am game to try any beer. Would love to stop in and talk Cuse over a pint. Then grab some honey mustard chicken pizza and garlic knots from Nirchis.

LOL. Cool dude glad you made a personal attack!

The point isn’t fire Dino, it’s that we need to stop saying this season didn’t count. Because it did.

Im fine with Dino staying but I want to improvement.

Anyway, thanks for bringing publicity to The North Brewery.

Just like all places in this time we are struggling, please remember to support all of your local small businesses, even if they don’t say it, they need your help as most are barely hanging on right now and will be lucky to survive another shutdown.
Could you please point out the personal attack?

Or maybe because this year did in fact matter
Missing spring was an issue, but Tony White successfully implemented a completely different scheme without it. He had opt outs and injury, as well.

On offense, we started with our projected #1 QBs and Receivers. Banking on a transfer to get a waiver would be folly, so we were essentially down Dakota Davis as a potential starter. While any quality depth was injured, a FB came in, and was our best graded lineman.

Without Covid, I dont think the situation would have looked much different. Yes, Adams and Howard would have helped, but how many games do they win? Lutz and Tucker outperformed the Jordan/Pierre tandem by quite a bit, yet they were #5 and #6. Understandable they weren't sure what they had with Tucker, but odd Lutz wasn't elevated earlier.

This year did matter. I dont believe it would have looked much different in a normal year. We didn't get to beat Colgate, or some of the easier scheduled, but it was telling for where we are at vs. Our peers.

It seems many programs felt this year mattered. For the coaches being fired- were they already on the hot seat last year?

If you fire your coach this year, you're using this year as an excuse to do something you already wanted to do.

And to be fair, I didn't say this year didn't matter. I haven't seen anyone make that case proactively. I said players should play every game to win, coaches should use it to try to get better like an exhibition season, and fans should give the staff a mulligan.

I honestly didn't think they'd win the division, everyone gets an extra year of eligibility - just get better. See what the underbelly of the team can do. Fans will be back next year in the newly renovated dome. Recruits get it.

Too many posters want us to act like schools who are either making unwise decisions based on loud boosters or schools that are in a different position than we are like Illinois. There's a good chance Lovie gets fired no matter what this year, for example.

Could you please point out the personal attack?

Really? Your post is rather peculiar, especially with them kissing and making up and saying it's all good, etc. Perhaps, your motive here is more in line with this post of yours made to another fellow poster in a similar (Gus Malzahn) thread?

You'd hire a loaf of bread today.

We get it. You don't think Dino is the guy. You post it in every thread. We get it.

Really? Your post is rather peculiar, especially with them kissing and making up and saying it's all good, etc. Perhaps, your motive here is more in line with this post of yours made to another fellow poster in a similar (Gus Malzahn) thread?

You'd hire a loaf of bread today.

We get it. You don't think Dino is the guy. You post it in every thread. We get it.
I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

The poster called out another for a personal attack. I wanted to know what in the OP he considered a personal attack.

Not hard.

The biggest issue with keeping Dino if he has another bad year next year is it'll likely mean 2 seasons of him trying to recruit under a cloud with opposing coaches saying he's a dead man walking. We were lucky this year that the recruiting process was moved up, but Dino will not be able to sell hope and recruit as a lame duck next year and the following year if we have another bad year. He needs to get off to a decent start to sell recruits he can get it done.

He has 43 New York players on his roster, so he must be very well liked by high school coaches across the state. If there's a coach who could lock up the best talent in NYS, it would be him.
He'd probably do a better job of NY but I don't see him landing the top 5-6 guys and besides those everyone else are pretty much 3 stars you can get anywhere, with that being said I think he'd be a home run hire for us, get us back on real solid footing.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

The poster called out another for a personal attack. I wanted to know what in the OP he considered a personal attack.

Not hard.

You can claim ignorance all you like, but I'm not buying it.

In that OP, it was pretty apparent that the fellow poster was throwing shade at the OP's choice/taste of personal consumption, so it isn't that difficult to draw a parallel and how it was taken personally. That is what's "not hard." Again, what is more peculiar, in my opinion, especially since their subsequent posts (all which preceded yours) were friendly and claiming "all is good," you still chose to make such an inquiry. I mean, at that particular stage, what does it really matter?

I also do not find it coincidental that you singled that lone thing out in that entire conversation, and on a poster whose views regarding Dino apparently go against your grain. My assessment in this particular matter is influenced, and, based in part, on the aforementioned quote of yours in that similar thread.

You can claim ignorance all you like, but I'm not buying it.

In that OP, it was pretty apparent that the fellow poster was throwing shade at the OP's choice/taste of personal consumption, so it isn't that difficult to draw a parallel and how it was taken personally. That is what's "not hard." Again, what is more peculiar, in my opinion, especially since their subsequent posts (all which preceded yours) were friendly and claiming "all is good," you still chose to make such an inquiry. I mean, at that particular stage, what does it really matter?

I also do not find it coincidental that you choose to pick that lone thing out in that entire conversation, and on a poster whose views on Dino apparent go against your grain. My assessment in this particular matter is influenced, and, based in part, on the aforementioned quote of yours in that similar thread.
Frankly, I don't care if you buy it or not.

I wanted to know what he considered a personal attack, since I did not see one.

Done here.

Missing spring was an issue, but Tony White successfully implemented a completely different scheme without it. He had opt outs and injury, as well.

On offense, we started with our projected #1 QBs and Receivers. Banking on a transfer to get a waiver would be folly, so we were essentially down Dakota Davis as a potential starter. While any quality depth was injured, a FB came in, and was our best graded lineman.

Without Covid, I dont think the situation would have looked much different. Yes, Adams and Howard would have helped, but how many games do they win? Lutz and Tucker outperformed the Jordan/Pierre tandem by quite a bit, yet they were #5 and #6. Understandable they weren't sure what they had with Tucker, but odd Lutz wasn't elevated earlier.

This year did matter. I dont believe it would have looked much different in a normal year. We didn't get to beat Colgate, or some of the easier scheduled, but it was telling for where we are at vs. Our peers.

Successfully implemented? Kids made some nice plays and improved significantly as the year went on. They also played an awful lot of guys, which should help raise the bottom of the roster significantly.

In other words they used the year for what it was, 11 scrimmages to get the installation in and improve for next season. But over all it wasn't a "successful" defense any more than the offense. They were in the high 90's, plus 100s in scoring and yardage categories. 111th on 3rd down. There are some very good pieces, but there is significant room for improvement, which I expect this year to result in. Just like the offense has to get much better. I'm very encouraged by what I saw, great investment in next year.

Scheme did a good job generating turnovers and setting the lb's up to make some plays in the offensive backfield. But other than that, it was what it was, a very young unit installing a completely new defense on the fly and they were behind the sticks the majority of plays this year.

On offense the issue begins and ends with the OL. If you don't think that having an actual OL playing instead of a converted FB, or having a legit back up tackle that could have come in for Servais for a couple of games to let him heal up, or guys available to step in at center or the other guard spot didn't make a different I don't know what to tell you. They couldn't practice normally. Limited or no contact and reduced reps because they had 7 freaking OL, not only to reduce contact and chance of injury, but just to save their legs. That not only impacts the offense, it impacts the defense.

Most of the time they have two full groups going live, and they like to practice fast to get the offense playing at a high tempo. They couldn't do any of that.

Successfully implemented? Kids made some nice plays and improved significantly as the year went on. They also played an awful lot of guys, which should help raise the bottom of the roster significantly.

In other words they used the year for what it was, 11 scrimmages to get the installation in and improve for next season. But over all it wasn't a "successful" defense any more than the offense. They were in the high 90's, plus 100s in scoring and yardage categories. 111th on 3rd down. There are some very good pieces, but there is significant room for improvement, which I expect this year to result in. Just like the offense has to get much better. I'm very encouraged by what I saw, great investment in next year.

Scheme did a good job generating turnovers and setting the lb's up to make some plays in the offensive backfield. But other than that, it was what it was, a very young unit installing a completely new defense on the fly and they were behind the sticks the majority of plays this year.

On offense the issue begins and ends with the OL. If you don't think that having an actual OL playing instead of a converted FB, or having a legit back up tackle that could have come in for Servais for a couple of games to let him heal up, or guys available to step in at center or the other guard spot didn't make a different I don't know what to tell you. They couldn't practice normally. Limited or no contact and reduced reps because they had 7 freaking OL, not only to reduce contact and chance of injury, but just to save their legs. That not only impacts the offense, it impacts the defense.

Most of the time they have two full groups going live, and they like to practice fast to get the offense playing at a high tempo. They couldn't do any of that.
All fair points. The general consensus is that defense showed promise. (I agree)

Oline. Having Bleich available was only a hope. Removing luck, Our believed top 5 was Serv,Vett,Dakota,Berg,Tis. 4 were available. Your points on practice stand. Although, it may make it more concerning that our top graded olineman was a FB, that hadn't received Oline coaching since middle school - that may have had limited contact and reps to learn a new position.