I'm annoyed with some of the response to Ennis' decision | Syracusefan.com

I'm annoyed with some of the response to Ennis' decision

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Bunch of jilted lovers. All kinds of crazy commentary about all the extreme and irrational reasons why he's going to fail, if those are some of your true feelings I'm convinced that you believe Hop would tie Tyler's shoes pre-game because he certainly wouldn't have been capable of doing it himself.

Ennis nailed it. He played way above expectations, lead us to a #1 ranking, wasn't even a McDonald's AA as a highschool player and forced himself in to the conversation of best college freshman against the annointed ones Wiggins and Parker AND was on the Wooden Award list. He had a defining highlight moment, got the attention of the basketball world and NBA GMs and is projected as a Top 10 pick. That's not by accident, sports fans. This all happened because he's really, really good at basketball. Like, really good. He's not a perfect basketball player but that's not really the objective here, so let's stop kidding ourselves.

He's making the best decision he can for himself. You'd want your own children to make the same choice. Let's stop pretending otherwise.

The collective response to Ennis' decision has been worse than our response to the Dayton loss.

OttoinGrotto said:
Bunch of jilted lovers. All kinds of crazy commentary about all the extreme and irrational reasons why he's going to fail, if those are some of your true feelings I'm convinced that you believe Hop would tie Tyler's shoes pre-game because he certainly wouldn't have been capable of doing it himself. Ennis nailed it. He played way above expectations, lead us to a #1 ranking, wasn't even a McDonald's AA as a highschool player and forced himself in to the conversation of best college freshman against the annointed ones Wiggins and Parker AND was on the Wooden Award list. He had a defining highlight moment, got the attention of the basketball world and NBA GMs and is projected as a Top 10 pick. That's not by accident, sports fans. This all happened because he's really, really good at basketball. Like, really good. He's not a perfect basketball player but that's not really the objective here, so let's stop kidding ourselves. He's making the best decision he can for himself. You'd want your own children to make the same choice. Let's stop pretending otherwise. The collective response to Ennis' decision has been worse than our response to the Dayton loss.

Im upset with the nba. Kid made his own decision. Best wishes.

Bunch of jilted lovers. All kinds of crazy commentary about all the extreme and irrational reasons why he's going to fail, if those are some of your true feelings I'm convinced that you believe Hop would tie Tyler's shoes pre-game because he certainly wouldn't have been capable of doing it himself.

Ennis nailed it. He played way above expectations, lead us to a #1 ranking, wasn't even a McDonald's AA as a highschool player and forced himself in to the conversation of best college freshman against the annointed ones Wiggins and Parker AND was on the Wooden Award list. He had a defining highlight moment, got the attention of the basketball world and NBA GMs and is projected as a Top 10 pick. That's not by accident, sports fans. This all happened because he's really, really good at basketball. Like, really good. He's not a perfect basketball player but that's not really the objective here, so let's stop kidding ourselves.

He's making the best decision he can for himself. You'd want your own children to make the same choice. Let's stop pretending otherwise.

The collective response to Ennis' decision has been worse than our response to the Dayton loss.

I strongly disagree with this. I haven't seen unfair or harsh criticism regarding Ennis. I don't have the patience to sift through all the posts but I mostly saw constructive debate on how his game translates to the pros. My personal opinion is that if you are going to be a guaranteed lottery pick then you bolt. I think most of us and me certainly are worried about guard depth and ballhandling duties moving forward since guard ball handling depth (PG especially) seems to be so difficult to find and develop here. I don't think I have seen an 'Elite' program with such limited abilities to create for themselves or for others maybe more importantly. I'll get ripped for this but that's what I see. Boeheim has to fix this with recruiting or the development factor.

I'm disappointed that we won't be seeing more of him at SU, but not disappointed with or surprised by his decision. And I certainly hold nothing against him and hope he has a long and successful NBA career.

His outstanding play on the court and his meteoric rise as an NBA prospect made this decision an inevitability. If he were not projected as a mid to late lottery pick by credible sources, I believe he would have returned. But he has a skill set that is apparently valued highly by many NBA teams, so off he goes, as he should.

Oh man, I hate that we lost to Dayton! Ugh! :)

BTW, really good commentary here... Well said on many fronts. Ennis made his decision, I wish him the absolute best, and we move on!

I strongly disagree with this. I haven't seen unfair or harsh criticism regarding Ennis. I don't have the patience to sift through all the posts but I mostly saw constructive debate on how his game translates to the pros. My personal opinion is that if you are going to be a guaranteed lottery pick then you bolt. I think most of us and me certainly are worried about guard depth and ballhandling duties moving forward since guard ball handling depth (PG especially) seems to be so difficult to find and develop here. I don't think I have seen an 'Elite' program with such limited abilities to create for themselves or for others maybe more importantly. I'll get ripped for this but that's what I see. Boeheim has to fix this with recruiting or the development factor.
You might say the recruiting and development factors as they pertained to Ennis were a bit too good and helped create some of the issues you cite.

If only Ennis had been properly Boeheimed. ;)

You might say the recruiting and development factors as they pertained to Ennis were a bit too good and helped create some of the issues you cite.

If only Ennis had been properly Boeheimed. ;)

That's definitely a valid opinion. Some bad luck is a valid theory as well. Still, I don't think anybody would disagree that we need more personnel who make plays with the ball for themselves or others more importantly since teams take away what we do best which is limited in the first place. Guards or forwards. This definitely has to do with recruiting and development.

There's definitely been some constructive debate, but there's also been some unconstructive debate.

I fully support Ennis leaving early especially if he is projected as a lottery pick under the current system.

From a Syracuse standpoint we were better with him next year but certainly not lost without him.

Gun to my head...I think Ennis has limited upside based on what he showed at Syracuse but I am not sure how much of that is Ennis and how much of that was just poor offensive scheme. If I was an NBA GM I would pass unless blown away by his workouts so it will be interesting. I was high on Waiters coming out and not so much MCW but at least he had an NBA body you could draft. I am at a loss for the appeal of Ennis who struggled mightly the more teams focused on him late in the year.

Thanks sir. Sensibility. Best of luck to Tyler "The Creator" Ennis!

Judging by some of the reactions, if Tyler has so many limitations, we're probably better off with Kaleb Joseph running the point next year anyway.

I think when people discuss limitations, myself included, we are talking about the difference between running the point against Colgate and running the point against Chris Paul and Curry.

Judging by some of the reactions, if Tyler has so many limitations, we're probably better off with Kaleb Joseph running the point next year anyway.
That's what I'm saying! He went from being in discussion as potentially our 2nd best point guard ever, to being described as succeeding in spite of all of these perceived limitations that may or may not matter as a pro.

That's what I'm saying! He went from being in discussion as potentially our 2nd best point guard ever, to being described as succeeding in spite of all of these perceived limitations that may or may not matter as a pro.
it's amazing how stupid everyone thinks NBA gms are

like you need some special kind of insight that comes with watching 35 syracuse games to come up with "Gee whiz, Tyler Ennis isn't really tall and doesn't look like he can lift a lot of weight"

no

I don't disagree with your main point, however it should also be pointed out that when you play at the professional level in a sport, this is the kind of criticism you are going to get. There is no more of the fluff and puff commentary about your toughness and leadership and etc etc that college basketball media is built upon. The flaws in your game are the narrative in the pros. I do not advocate us turning on the kid because he decided to leave, but he (and we) must understand that this criticism we've seen here is flowers and butterflies compared to what he will experience as a professional athlete.

I fully support Ennis leaving early especially if he is projected as a lottery pick under the current system.

From a Syracuse standpoint we were better with him next year but certainly not lost without him.

Gun to my head...I think Ennis has limited upside based on what he showed at Syracuse but I am not sure how much of that is Ennis and how much of that was just poor offensive scheme. If I was an NBA GM I would pass unless blown away by his workouts so it will be interesting. I was high on Waiters coming out and not so much MCW but at least he had an NBA body you could draft. I am at a loss for the appeal of Ennis who struggled mightly the more teams focused on him late in the year.

I wouldn't say he struggled mightily. He was asked to do more with his own offense, and although he wasn't as efficient as he had been when the offense was more balanced, he at times displayed an ability to finish at the rim and get to line, and showed he could also score from a variety of other places on the floor. This might have answered some questions scouts had about his offense and actually improved his stock.

I'm happy for Tyler, but, and it's a BIG but, I just hope this doesn't turn into a lose/lose situation for all parties. I.e., we lose a great pg for another 3 years, and Tyler gets chewed up in the NBA and is washed out in 3 years...

I think when people discuss limitations, myself included, we are talking about the difference between running the point against Colgate and running the point against Chris Paul and Curry.
Chris Paul and Curry are in like the 95th percentile of basketball players worldwide, even higher than that for guards. They destroy everybody. So does it even matter to compare him to Chris Paul?

The more relevant comparison would be to ask how he would do against the point guards currently on the roster for teams looking to upgrade their play at point guard.

I'm happy for Tyler, but, and it's a BIG but, I just hope this doesn't turn into a lose/lose situation for all parties. I.e., we lose a great pg for another 3 years, and Tyler gets chewed up in the NBA and is washed out in 3 years...
In that lose/lose he made millions before washing out. Kinda softens the blow.

I love noble posts! Keep em comin!

I'm pissed off that Ennis is leaving. But I'm not pissed at Ennis the person. I don't even know him, so even if I was why should he give a crap?

I'm pissed at the NBA for overrating freshmen and sophomores and as a result simultaneously creating a steaming pile out of both their NBA and our College Basketball.

And spare me the "But NBA GM's are smart!" Look at the quality of play for cripe's sake.

I'm pissed that the program couldn't go farther than the 2nd round with a supposed lottery pick at the most important position in the sport.

I get pissed when I see teams like Florida and Louisville with talented upperclassmen who could have left school if they wanted to but decided to stay.

I've yet to see a post that says he/she hopes Ennis fails. But your nobility is certainly appreciated and not annoying at all.

In that lose/lose he made millions before washing out. Kinda softens the blow.
people that think he should stay are essentially saying that the experience of one more year at Syracuse compared to what one can learn on the bench is worth risking 2-4 million guaranteed

i wouldn't bet 100 dollars on my knees holding up next year and I do nothing risky with them

I love noble posts! Keep em comin!

I'm pissed off that Ennis is leaving. But I'm not pissed at Ennis the person. I don't even know him, so even if I was why should he give a crap?

I'm pissed at the NBA for overrating freshmen and sophomores and as a result simultaneously creating a steaming pile out of both their NBA and our College Basketball.

And spare me the "But NBA GM's are smart!" Look at the quality of play for cripe's sake.

I'm pissed that the program couldn't go farther than the 2nd round with a supposed lottery pick at the most important position in the sport.

I get pissed when I see teams like Florida and Louisville with talented upperclassmen who could have left school if they wanted to but decided to stay.

I've yet to see a post that says he/she hopes Ennis fails. But your nobility is certainly appreciated and not annoying at all.
i do look at the quality of play in the nba. the nba is great. i see players get bigger and shoot better all the time. they work their @sses off

I watched the Grizzlies and Jazz game a few nights ago. Grizz are a fringe playoff team. Jazz are one of the worst 4 teams in the Association.

The quality of play was incredible.

Ennis may be able to raise his draft stock next year.

But I never understood why most think a somewhat mature player will develop more in the NCAA than the NBA.