I'm annoyed with some of the response to Ennis' decision | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm annoyed with some of the response to Ennis' decision

Smart move to go. His draft stock cannot improve much. Most he could jump up is 2-3 slots. Next year's draft will be loaded with one and dones like Okafor, Alexander, Mudiay. Best of luck to Mr. Ennis.

I'm pissed at the NBA for overrating freshmen and sophomores and as a result simultaneously creating a steaming pile out of both their NBA and our College Basketball.

This must be why all those juniors and seniors have performed better in the NBA long term relative to draft position... oh wait, they haven't.

i do look at the quality of play in the nba. the nba is great. i see players get bigger and shoot better all the time. they work their @sses off
Charles Barkley says the NBA is the worst it's ever been. Of course players are physically more talented. That doesn't mean the quality of play is better.

I watched the Grizzlies and Jazz game a few nights ago. Grizz are a fringe playoff team. Jazz are one of the worst 4 teams in the Association.

The quality of play was incredible.
I'll take your word for it.

This must be why all those juniors and seniors have performed better in the NBA long term relative to draft position... oh wait, they haven't.
Show me real data.

I find it interesting that many NBA peeps are pushing for a higher age limit. Must be because the quality of play is so good.

NBA "peeps" want a higher age limit so they can get an extra year of seeing players develop for free.

Bunch of jilted lovers. All kinds of crazy commentary about all the extreme and irrational reasons why he's going to fail, if those are some of your true feelings I'm convinced that you believe Hop would tie Tyler's shoes pre-game because he certainly wouldn't have been capable of doing it himself.

Ennis nailed it. He played way above expectations, lead us to a #1 ranking, wasn't even a McDonald's AA as a highschool player and forced himself in to the conversation of best college freshman against the annointed ones Wiggins and Parker AND was on the Wooden Award list. He had a defining highlight moment, got the attention of the basketball world and NBA GMs and is projected as a Top 10 pick. That's not by accident, sports fans. This all happened because he's really, really good at basketball. Like, really good. He's not a perfect basketball player but that's not really the objective here, so let's stop kidding ourselves.

He's making the best decision he can for himself. You'd want your own children to make the same choice. Let's stop pretending otherwise.

The collective response to Ennis' decision has been worse than our response to the Dayton loss.

I don't have a problem with his decision.

But I also don't have a problem with personally being disappointed about his decision.

He was a fine player; I wish him luck. I also wish he were coming back.

NBA "peeps" want a higher age limit so they can get an extra year of seeing players develop for free.

Yes and no. Teams that will be in the lottery or think they will be in the lottery the following year will not want the two year in school rule. They will be giving up a chance for a Randle, Parker, Embid to get a Cauley-Stein or Patrick Young

Exactly what? They are cheap scumbags.
Why would they want more time to watch players develop? Because time is a valuable commodity for properly scouting. The more data you have, the more accurate your evaluation will be - and the better chance you will make the correct personnel choice.

Many drafting mistakes are made especially in recent years because there is a natural assumption that younger players need to be drafted ahead of older players due to "potential," "high ceiling," etc. The young stud is the shiny new toy.

How many times have we seen people say "That player should come out before the NBA sees his weaknesses." That's the problem I have with the whole system.

Upping the age limit would help the sport at all levels.

OttoinGrotto said:
Chris Paul and Curry are in like the 95th percentile of basketball players worldwide, even higher than that for guards. They destroy everybody. So does it even matter to compare him to Chris Paul? The more relevant comparison would be to ask how he would do against the point guards currently on the roster for teams looking to upgrade their play at point guard.
Because those guys should be the guys he is linjng up against. I'm not talking about draft position. I'm talking about the league. Can he hang in a league of these types? He probably can but he's certainly in the lower middle range IMO.

I'm not trying to start a fight here because I do appreciate the majority of your posts OiG and you are 99% positive but of all the people to accuse other posters of being "jilted lovers" you should be last in line. To this day you cannot let any Marrone thread go without some sort of snarky commentary.

Some people just choose different things to be upset about.

To this day you cannot let any Marrone thread go without some sort of snarky commentary.
Ha, mostly that's just for fun. But, good point.

I think Ennis made a good move for him. As has been said - he struck while the iron is hot and I don't think anyone should fault him for that.

I am a little skeptical of the media personnel that are saying he's going to go in the Top 15 of the draft. We will see what happens - and for his sake, I hope he does. But it is going to be interesting to see what scouts say after the combine. And who else comes out early. If he goes 20-25 I think he made a mistake, but that's just me.

Also, just because people (like me) are saying they don't see his game translating as well as others do to the NBA, doesn't mean we think he's a terrible basketball player. At least I don't think that. I just don't think he is ready to go to the NBA. And I do think another year in college would help his earning potential.

Going later in the draft may be good for TE. Landing on a winning team instead of some constant bottom feeder can be a good thing.

In that lose/lose he made millions before washing out. Kinda softens the blow.
Exactly. With those millions I could be happy shooting hoops in my driveway after 3 yrs.

It's obviously Boeheim's fault. If he hadn't scheduled so many cupcakes in the early season, we wouldn't have been 25-0 and Tyler wouldn't have put up those gaudy, efficient numbers and had so much national visibility. :rolleyes:

Ennis may be able to raise his draft stock next year.

But I never understood why most think a somewhat mature player will develop more in the NCAA than the NBA.
College 35 games a year, Shorter calendar season, Limit on practice hours/times, Practice vs walkons,
NBA 80 games, longer calendar, More practices a year againt NBA caliber players.

It's obviously Boeheim's fault. If he hadn't scheduled so many cupcakes in the early season, we wouldn't have been 25-0 and Tyler wouldn't have put up those gaudy, efficient numbers and had so much national visibility. :rolleyes:
I have always liked getting out in front of the conference with schedule helping, but this year you could see how backloaded it was. In my mind road games are always close to 50/50 propositions going in, and so many of them in a row, while players were dropping due to injuries, at a least, contributed mentally to the psyche issues I am sure.
Frontload that same schedule it may have "looked" different, even if the results may not necessarily change.

Charles Barkley says the NBA is the worst it's ever been. Of course players are physically more talented. That doesn't mean the quality of play is better.
board is selective about barkley statements

board is selective about barkley statements

Also pretty much every ex-player ever says the current players aren't as good as the one's in his era. That's like a rule.

NBA players are freaking awesome, the level of play is night and day with college.

I posted in another thread the article Kevin Pelton wrote which saw that players who left after one year developed their game more in their rookie year in the NBA than similar players who came back for another year. Not the definitely research piece, but it's data.

Going later in the draft may be good for TE. Landing on a winning team instead of some constant bottom feeder can be a good thing.

I honestly think Pop could turn any player into an All Star

I'm happy for Tyler, but, and it's a BIG but, I just hope this doesn't turn into a lose/lose situation for all parties. I.e., we lose a great pg for another 3 years, and Tyler gets chewed up in the NBA and is washed out in 3 years...

Worse case scenario (which i don't see at all) is he washes out of the NBA and ends up making hundreds of thousands a year over in Europe. Realistically he can earn money playing basketball until 35. That's only 15 years of getting paid, so why wait another year to earn money?

With that said Tyler's game is so steady worst case I see him as a back up pg for a very long time. Not a bad life.

I'm not upset with Ennis; he made a reasonable decision on the date he made it. I just hope that he does not hire an agent until he sees how many others come out of the woodwork and declare early; his position in the draft could change.