I'm bullish on Carey. | Syracusefan.com

I'm bullish on Carey.

Carey looks legit. Hughes picked up a 4th? foul, moped to the bench and in comes Carey. EWU like whaaaat??

Agree with OP, happy overall. There is work to do, but I am liking the potential I see.

You can already tell Carey brings that 6th man energy that KrisJo/Dion brought. I do think Buddy will start until Frank is healthy simply because having Carey come off the bench seems to energize the team both offensively and defensively. Love the potential he showed tonight. I hope he's around for 3 years!

He has to be the fastest player we've had since Flynn right? Brings something we haven't had in a while I am a fan.

Jonny was quicker Jalen to me is like a Flynn/Devendorf hybrid from what I saw tonight.

As I mentioned in another thread, the fact that Carey is getting meaningful minutes in November will pay dividends in February/March.

Carey looked like a freak at times last night. His athleticism is scary. Agreed that he is the best athlete I've seen at pg since Flynn. In person, his body type reminded me a bit of Rondo, but much better offensively. Think he will be a 2 year player here.

His court sense impressed me as well. Protects the ball in traffic, the quick step in on the in-bounds. Seems to enjoy sharing the ball too. When he and Marek were on the court the passing improved 100%
I like his confidence and cockiness. He’s got the “it” factor

Gives us a new speed dimension to take advantage of all those turnovers the D will create this year. The tandem of FH and JC gives JB a ton of flexibility, and should really help Frank's offensive efficiency.

I know it's only one game against an inferior opponent, but I really liked what I saw.

Carey is/will be an absolute stud and I honestly don't expect him to be here for a Junior season. I can't really quantify it; he just crushes the eye test.

He made some mistakes which is normal but saying he crushed the eye test nails it imo. just a straight up Baller. Reminds me of Russ a little .

Based on speed and athleticism alone, he reminded me of Derek Rose. Not saying he's as good as Rose but that's about the only comparison I can make for his speed. Not even sure I can think of an SU player in the past who was as fast as he is. If he can improve his shooting/finishing ability he will be a serious star.

Agree ... scary potential. Fearless, fast and lethal in transition. One assist but he'll be fine once the roster confusion subsides.

A lot of guys were costing their teammates some assists. Carey had a great baseline drive and pass to Sidibe who got fouled. Braswell had a few like that as well (that poor kid can't catch a break - he's got surprisingly great vision and also works hard on defense but nothing at all goes right for him).

A lot of guys were costing their teammates some assists. Carey had a great baseline drive and pass to Sidibe who got fouled. Braswell had a few like that as well (that poor kid can't catch a break - he's got surprisingly great vision and also works hard on defense but nothing at all goes right for him).
The roster's all screwed up right now with Frank out, a frosh starting at SG and Tyus trying to play PG. As a result I'm not going to read much into these first few games until the roster settles down. But a couple things are clear: 1) Hughes is the real deal offensively; 2) Carey's really going to be good; 3) Merick's offense is RFPT. No slight on Buddy, who will be a good player for us. But JB should move EH to SG during this "experiment" and start Merick on the front line. Kid has earned it and does so many things for us - passing, rebounding, and yes scoring.

The roster's all screwed up right now with Frank out, a frosh starting at SG and Tyus trying to play PG. As a result I'm not going to read much into these first few games until the roster settles down. But a couple things are clear: 1) Hughes is the real deal offensively; 2) Carey's really going to be good; 3) Merick's offense is RFPT. No slight on Buddy, who will be a good player for us. But JB should move EH to SG during this "experiment" and start Merick on the front line. Kid has earned it and immediately showed that he can score when he got in the game.

I'd greatly prefer Hughes coming off the bench, Waiters-style, but I think Boeheim's got an eye toward solidifying the lineup without Frank so that we don't lose next week.

I'd greatly prefer Hughes coming off the bench, Waiters-style, but I think Boeheim's got an eye toward solidifying the lineup without Frank so that we don't lose next week.
I’m kind of surprised Carey didn’t start if he was playing. Moreover I was really shocked when HW appeared in the game. JB is usually really position oriented at guard and so I would’ve thought he’d do anything to get it back in sync

This is a great point ... Hughes and Carey coming off the bench would be something few teams could cope with. And I feel like Merick is too good to be riding pine, especially behind a freshman getting his feet wet. I'd like to see JB (temporarily) move Hughes to the 2, start Merick and have Buddy come off the bench.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom