i'm completely done with grad transfers | Syracusefan.com

i'm completely done with grad transfers

orangehomer

All American
I am not renewing my tickets next year if we go the transfer route again. I would rather lose with freshman and program kids than mercs.

I am not renewing my tickets next year if we go the transfer route again. I would rather lose with freshman and program kids than mercs.

Well we are going to have to go that route next year -- so...

Awful combination the last few years of kids leaving earlier than expected (Ennis, Mali, Grant) and other kids not panning out for high D1 (Kaleb, BJ, Chinso, Patterson). I expected McCullough to leave early - but I thought Ennis, Mali and Grant would be at least 3 year guys

Remarkable that we made the Final 4 last year really.

You act like Boeheim wants to do this every year, or did it out of anything other than necessity this year. It's because of the NCAA penalties.

I don't agree with the OP, but once the scholarship limits are over I want to see us use our full allotment and actually build some depth.

Program guys are fine. If a guy isn't ready to contribute until he's a junior, whatever. Let's at least run practices with scholarship players against scholarship players.

I don't agree with the OP, but once the scholarship limits are over I want to see us use our full allotment and actually build some depth.

Program guys are fine. If a guy isn't ready to contribute until he's a junior, whatever. Let's at least run practices with scholarship players against scholarship players.
Our best teams consisted of program guys, so give me some of those.

Awful combination the last few years of kids leaving earlier than expected (Ennis, Mali, Grant) and other kids not panning out for high D1 (Kaleb, BJ, Chinso, Patterson). I expected McCullough to leave early - but I thought Ennis, Mali and Grant would be at least 3 year guys

Remarkable that we made the Final 4 last year really.
The staff should always prepare for high level recruits leaving early. I have no idea why Patterson and Chino were recruited for basketball. That's on the staff. BJ absolutely needed a redshirt year. Kaleb was a whiff.

This team would be absolutely suffering without White and Gillion but here is something about having players commit to the program, grow there skills and stick around. I especially enjoy watching players that continue to grow and finish at the program. Guys like Warrick, Nichols, Christmas are the players I am most fond of. With that said, I understand grabbing these grad transfers, we were in a bind. However, relying on grad transfers for two years straight indicates poor planning in my opinion.

It works both ways. Our best teams have always had early entrants.
I think our program needs to take a step back for a few years in order to get back to our level. We need to invest in recruits and take a year or two of lumps.

I think our program needs to take a step back for a few years in order to get back to our level. We need to invest in recruits and take a year or two of lumps.

I agree, would be nice to get some guys ready but we're almost to a point where we just need roster fillers. I'm sure we nab a third guard but as of right now Autry is our third guard next year.

I agree, would be nice to get some guys ready but we're almost to a point where we just need roster fillers. I'm sure we nab a third guard but as of right now Autry is our third guard next year.
Yup, which is why we need to throw an offer to Washington and hope we get Ayala and Duarte. In 2-3 years, that could be a very good group. In the meantime try and get another Gillon or White and hope for the best.

One of the other problems with the grad transfers, and again, we don't have much choice with the NCAA penalties... But, Gillon is only 6'0" tall... That's way less than ideal at the top of the zone. Look at the Final Four guards the last two times... Triche was 6'4, MCW 6'6, Cooney 6'4, Gbinije 6'7... When you're recruiting you can be more selective, but when you're trying to find a D1 starting point guard for a top program, your options on the grad transfer market are pretty limited.

Think about the difference that length makes in not just denying shots, but also passes.

You act like Boeheim wants to do this every year, or did it out of anything other than necessity this year. It's because of the NCAA penalties.
what about the kids they ran off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom