I'm gonna say it... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I'm gonna say it...

A better question might be how many other P5 teams could these players start for??????

Start? They’re freshmen. What are you talking about?

We have 3 losing seasons out of 4. Some of the worse losses/games in SU history this year. Our recruiting has been near bottom of the ACC every year and Dino’s coaching record reflects that.

This class is decent but there’s nothing wrong with questioning how good the DB staff is at recruiting. We have supposedly an offensive guru and we can’t attract QB’s or OL. Recruiting didn’t change at all after winning 10 games. Maybe the class pans out 2-3 yrs down the road. Maybe it doesn’t. The history so far says this staff is just okay at recruiting and identifying ACC level talent. Just because they’ve had some success with some players in a class doesn’t mean anything, every team in the country can claim some recruiting success.

Projecting that all these players in this class are going to be amazing in 3 years sounds eerily similar to the Shafer days of having to convince the board that we found a whole class of diamonds in the rough. Remember when the Shafer cheer leaders used to say the staff got on kids early so nobody else tried to offer them, the Shafer staff was really good at identifying talent and camp kids b/c no other college was as good, we got kids that if they were 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier they’d have multiple SEC offers and we got lucky. Our S&C staff would turn them into 4-5 star talent in one year. That’s how these DB classes are starting to sound.

Did we get some good kids that I’m excited to see develop, absolutely. But so has every school in the country. We aren’t going to be more competitive without getting a larger proportion of sure things and attacking the recruiting of QB’s, DT’s and other high need areas instead of a million WR’s.

We have 3 losing seasons out of 4. Some of the worse losses/games in SU history this year. Our recruiting has been near bottom of the ACC every year and Dino’s coaching record reflects that.

This class is decent but there’s nothing wrong with questioning how good the DB staff is at recruiting. We have supposedly an offensive guru and we can’t attract QB’s or OL. Recruiting didn’t change at all after winning 10 games. Maybe the class pans out 2-3 yrs down the road. Maybe it doesn’t. The history so far says this staff is just okay at recruiting and identifying ACC level talent. Just because they’ve had some success with some players in a class doesn’t mean anything, every team in the country can claim some recruiting success.

Projecting that all these players in this class are going to be amazing in 3 years sounds eerily similar to the Shafer days of having to convince the board that we found a whole class of diamonds in the rough. Remember when the Shafer cheer leaders used to say the staff got on kids early so nobody else tried to offer them, the Shafer staff was really good at identifying talent and camp kids b/c no other college was as good, we got kids that if they were 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier they’d have multiple SEC offers and we got lucky. Our S&C staff would turn them into 4-5 star talent in one year. That’s how these DB classes are starting to sound.

Did we get some good kids that I’m excited to see develop, absolutely. But so has every school in the country. We aren’t going to be more competitive without getting a larger proportion of sure things and attacking the recruiting of QB’s, DT’s and other high need areas instead of a million WR’s.

Dino’s kids are two inches taller though no? And 10 kids have multiple legit P5 offers. And good ones at that.

People think this all wrong though. We’re really not competing with Clemson, or the rest of the country, so just throw them out. Our real competition is LVille, FSU, N.C. State, Wake, BC, Pitt and whatever loser crossover team we get. That’s what we’re recruiting against and truly all of our recruits can play with those teams. The differences in rankings btw these teams seems to be negligible. Just my 2 cents.

Dino’s kids are two inches taller though no? And 10 kids have multiple legit P5 offers. And good ones at that.

People think this all wrong though. We’re really not competing with Clemson, or the rest of the country, so just throw them out. Our real competition is LVille, FSU, N.C. State, Wake, BC, Pitt and whatever loser crossover team we get. That’s what we’re recruiting against and truly all of our recruits can play with those teams. The differences in rankings btw these teams seems to be negligible. Just my 2 cents.

Shafer had a number of recruits with legit P5 offers. We need a larger percentage of our class to look like that.

You’re making your own story to suit your argument. I never once even mentioned Clemson. I’ve been following recruiting for 20 years. I know we’re not recruiting against Clemson so it’s silly to even attach that argument to what I said. I actually did say we need to be better than the bottom of the ACC, which would be the UNC’s, UL’s, and Pitt.

I’m not actually trying to crap on DB as hard as that might seem. I’m cautious to some degree, I think our classes are better than Shafers but I’m not positive they are that drastically better. DB is a far better coach but if he’s such a better coach with better recruits, shouldn’t we be seeing better results overall? I’m just not sure what to think in general. It’s also very disappointing that with a 10 win season and an offensive minded coach that recruiting isn’t more on par with the top 3rd of the ACC.

Just my thoughts.

Just look at the basketball team and how much better we’d be if we stuck to Girard types who were proven elite HS players vs chasing rankings on prep guys.

QB is a big worry but we should land a good grad transfer next year if TD leaves early which he will if he plays well. Lack of competition stinks.

Start? They’re freshmen. What are you talking about?
[/QUO

I'm talking about all his recruits if you want me to spell it out. The reason the freshman are starting is because the 3 classes prior weren't good. He recruited the 4 previous classes right?????? Can't just say "the juniors and sophomores are no good thank god for these freshmen" the same guy is responsible for them all.

Two Four Seven rankings
2017- 54th (11/14 ACC)
2018- 51st (10/14 ACC)
2019- 56th (10/14 ACC)
2020- 53rd (9/14 ACC)

Our highest rated in-conference finish (still 6 spots to fill) is considered a step down?

2016 - 62
2015 - 57
2014 - 52
2013 - 74
2012 - 60
2011 - 58
2010 - 60

—> This year is a little better but I wouldn’t classify any DB class as a big improvement.

Millenials don't want to play in cold weather. If they do it's because they already live in state or it's a State-funded school with a large fanbase. Syracuse is not the latter. So what can we hope for until we start winning on a consistent basis? We can hope for top-40 classes without winning, but we haven't gotten that in 20 years.

The good news is we can win with these classes ...to get us to at least 6-6 (bowl seasons) to start building momentum for more.

I'm talking about all his recruits if you want me to spell it out. The reason the freshman are starting is because the 3 classes prior weren't good. He recruited the 4 previous classes right?????? Can't just say "the juniors and sophomores are no good thank god for these freshmen" the same guy is responsible for them all.

I . . . Uh . . . Ok. You asked where these freshmen could start. They’re freshmen. Freshmen rarely start at any P5 school. We had a few happy surprises (Bergeron and . . . Bergeron). Freshmen aren’t supposed to start, and these freshmen, god willing won’t start. What are you complaining about? I know I sound flip, but I’m genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Georgia Tech landed the #24 class in YR 2 of their coach. I’m not buying that it’s because they are in Georgia. We should be able to do the same.

Except 12 of their kids are from Georgia and 7 are from Florida.

imagine if NY had 150 Power 5 D1 football players and we could pull 12 rated that high. They have single HS’s with multiple P5 recruits.

Just look at the basketball team and how much better we’d be if we stuck to Girard types who were proven elite HS players vs chasing rankings on prep guys.

QB is a big worry but we should land a good grad transfer next year if TD leaves early which he will if he plays well. Lack of competition stinks.

In what world would TD leave after next year? I know , the one in his fantasy. You're kidding right?

I . . . Uh . . . Ok. You asked where these freshmen could start. They’re freshmen. Freshmen rarely start at any P5 school. We had a few happy surprises last year of freshmen who could start (Bergeron and . . . Bergeron). Freshmen aren’t supposed to start, and these freshmen, god willing won’t start. What are you complaining about? I know I sound flip, but I’m genuinely curious.
Again our freshmen wouldn't have had to start if the previous recruits were ACC caliber. HCDB recruited 3 classes prior to our freshmen this year. So the kids the freshmen replaced were HCDB recruits except 1 on the O-line.

Lets make this post SUPER positive. Maybe the freshman class was composed of hidden gem 5 star recruits. This class will end up being the best class in ACC behind Clemson. We will win 10 games. Hope all are happy

Millenials don't want to play in cold weather. If they do it's because they already live in state or it's a State-funded school with a large fanbase. Syracuse is not the latter. So what can we hope for until we start winning on a consistent basis? We can hope for top-40 classes without winning, but we haven't gotten that in 20 years.

The good news is we can win with these classes ...to get us to at least 6-6 (bowl seasons) to start building momentum for more.

Syracuse is going to have 5G soon so that should be the recruiting tool to use. Who goes outside other than to class or practice?

I’ve been saying for 25 years. Use the Dome and the turf as an asset. Run an explosive stretch the field offense. Let’s be ok with winning or losing 46-38 every single game. Suddenly offensive players who want to play on Sundays would pay attention.

I foolishly thought OITNF references the style of play, not how few seconds of the play clock we would let tick off between handoffs and screen passes

If Boise state can be explosive I see no reason why we can’t

Last edited:
Again our freshmen wouldn't have had to start if the previous recruits were ACC caliber. HCDB recruited 3 classes prior to our freshmen this year. So the kids the freshmen replaced were HCDB recruits except 1 on the O-line.

Lets make this post SUPER positive. Maybe the freshman class was composed of hidden gem 5 star recruits. This class will end up being the best class in ACC behind Clemson. We will win 10 games. Hope all are happy

Like we did in 2018? None of these freshmen—except maybe one WR—are going to beat out our starters. That’s a good thing. Our problem last year wasn’t really talent outside of O-Line, WR, and LB. Honestly all of those things—save LB—markedly improved by the end of the year. LB should be better because our freshmen are going into next year with more experience.

Like we did in 2018? None of these freshmen—except maybe one WR—are going to beat out our starters. That’s a good thing. Our problem last year wasn’t really talent outside of O-Line, WR, and LB. Honestly all of those things—save LB—markedly improved by the end of the year. LB should be better because our freshmen are going into next year with more experience.
We won 5 games!!!! My man lets just try and find a bright side.

Maybe Girard would want to try out for QB?

We won 5 games!!!! My man lets just try and find a bright side.

I feel like we’re having two entirely different conversations.

You think they'd pull in those same kids if they were in Maine? Draw a very large circle around Syracuse and count the talent.

Draw a circle around Boise Idaho, draw a circle around university of Utah (was in mountain west conference 9 years ago), draw a circle around Eugene Oregon, draw a circle around Pullman Washington.

If coaches were as good at recruiting as fans were about making excuses we would have no recruiting problems.