I'm gonna say it... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I'm gonna say it...

Draw a circle around Boise Idaho, draw a circle around university of Utah (was in mountain west conference 9 years ago), draw a circle around Eugene Oregon, draw a circle around Pullman Washington.

If coaches were as good at recruiting as fans were about making excuses we would have no recruiting problems.

We did this exercise with Boise. Their roster is full of California kids that don't go to PAC 12 schools. They also have a lot of Texas kids, where we've tried and struck out.
Oregon's facilities and resources are ridiculous. They have a separate library in their athletic complex that has every single book their main library does (picture us having two Bird libraries).

Draw a circle around Boise Idaho, draw a circle around university of Utah (was in mountain west conference 9 years ago), draw a circle around Eugene Oregon, draw a circle around Pullman Washington.

If coaches were as good at recruiting as fans were about making excuses we would have no recruiting problems.
It isn’t making excuses as much as seeing our reality. Oregon and Washington have vibrant economies and access to donor money for facility upgrades. For football recruiting, Syracuse does not have many advantages other than our Dome.

The hope is we string together a few deep classes, get lucky in key spots, and fill in with transfers.

2016 - 62
2015 - 57
2014 - 52
2013 - 74
2012 - 60
2011 - 58
2010 - 60

—> This year is a little better but I wouldn’t classify any DB class as a big improvement.
Our average recruit grade since 2018:

2018 .856
2019 .848
2020 .839

Our average recruit grade since 2018:

2018 .856
2019 .848
2020 .839

The recruiting grades are almost worthless given that the site is handing out more and more 3 star grades every single year just due to exposure/technology which is pumping up the average rating of an average recruit. However if we are correspondingly going down while the average recruit is going up, then that is obviously bad.

For whatever reasons Dino's staff is struggling to elevate the talent level. And it's hard as a fan base to see itp play out like this. BUT that's not to say it can't be done because it HAS been done in the past. In the mid 80s the program success mirrors where we're at now. Some Gerg-level ineptitude in the early 80s (Sack Mack Pack), followed by mediocre 6-5, 5-6 seasons... and a bowl game thrown in there. Mac was able to find a formula to make SU attractive again. 87 didn't happen without better recruiting in the 3-4 years prior.

This is a different era, but the same drawbacks we have now also existed back then.

It. Can. Be. Done.

Maybe Dino isn't willing to hire and fire to shake up his staff to make it happen.

But it can be done. And I hope Babers figures it out. Real soon.
We've had one truly good season in the last ~20. It will be interesting to see what happens if we go something 8-4 the next 2 years. I have to think that going 10-3, 5-7, 8-4, and 8-4 will help with recruiting, especially with a major stadium upgrade.

We've had one truly good season in the last ~20. It will be interesting to see what happens if we go something 8-4 the next 2 years. I have to think that going 10-3, 5-7, 8-4, and 8-4 will help with recruiting, especially with a major stadium upgrade.

Plus the recent donation announced that will go to the football program

Except 12 of their kids are from Georgia and 7 are from Florida.

imagine if NY had 150 Power 5 D1 football players and we could pull 12 rated that high. They have single HS’s with multiple P5 recruits.
You think they'd pull in those same kids if they were in Maine? Draw a very large circle around Syracuse and count the talent.

So what you both are saying is Cuse is structurally disadvantaged and has no hope of competing without a local talent base. Come on... we’ve done it before. You are just making excuses.

So what you both are saying is Cuse is structurally disadvantaged and has no hope of competing without a local talent base. Come on... we’ve done it before. You are just making excuses.

We can win, heck we won last year, but we have a built in disadvantages. Our last top 10 finish was what, 1992? Well before your state was rolling out 7 D1 programs.

I’ve been saying for 25 years. Use the Dome and the turf as an asset. Run an explosive stretch the field offense. Let’s be ok with winning or losing 46-38 every single game. Suddenly offensive players who want to play on Sundays would pay attention.

I foolishly thought OITNF references the style of play, not how few seconds of the play clock we would let tick off between handoffs and screen passes

If Boise state can be explosive I see no reason why we can’t
Since we averaged 40 pts a game in 18 I guess we can.

Last edited:
Just look at the basketball team and how much better we’d be if we stuck to Girard types who were proven elite HS players vs chasing rankings on prep guys.

QB is a big worry but we should land a good grad transfer next year if TD leaves early which he will if he plays well. Lack of competition stinks.

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've seen in many years on this site.

TD leaving early?

What, does he have tickets for the opera?

He's sure as hell not going to the NFL. He's working on being a competent college QB.