I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

I've been told for years that The Wire is one of the greatest shows of all-time. I finally started it and am two episodes in; obviously too soon to judge. The story is compelling, but does the dialog get any better? It has been cringeworthy. I feel like I am watching a George Lucas film.

The story just gets bigger in scope, and better as it goes on. The dialogue does get better, or at least less noticably cringeworthy IMO. I had a hard time getting through the first episode, though once I went back and re-watched after I had already watched the series, it was a lot better.

got a free month of Showtime and started watching Billions with Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis, highly recommend. It's in the first season, I went through the first 8 episodes in a couple of sittings. Giamatti plays the Federal Attorney General and Lewis a billionaire owner of a hedge fund firm. The supporting cast is solid too as is the music. Andrew Ross Sorkin, author of Too Big to Fail is one of the producers

Billions

I didn't go through all the posts, but of the ones I hadn't seen mentioned:

Chuck - see Psych
Psych - a little silly, but eventually funny
Dexter - edgy and occasionally gory
Bones
Burn Notice - I like his narrations
NCIS - well acted
House - occasionally grim, but very well done

Of those, Dexter and Burn Notice are my favorites

I just started watching The West Wing. I'm surprised I missed it the first time around. It's difficult to binge watch a show that's 22 episodes a season at 40 plus minutes an episode. I love it and will be disappointed when I'm done. Knowing an SU grad wrote it, I perk up when I hear mentions of Fort Drum and the Maxwell School.

Question...

I've had season 2 of True Detective on my DVR for over a year now. I loved the first season but heard bad things about #2 and never got to it.

Should I keep the episodes and find the time to watch? Or just dump them?

Question...

I've had season 2 of True Detective on my DVR for over a year now. I loved the first season but heard bad things about #2 and never got to it.

Should I keep the episodes and find the time to watch? Or just dump them?
Season 2 was huge disappointment.

I'm actually a little jealous that you haven't seen The Wire or Breaking Bad yet. I'd love to be able to experience them for the first time again. I've went through both shows multiple times. Those are my top 2, with The Sopranos and Mad Men being up there as well.

I'm also looking for something new because most of the recent shows I've tried, I've given up on.

I couldn't get into House of Cards. I got near the end of season 1. I thought it was boring.

Orange Is the New Black, I HATED. I found myself rooting for a bomb to drop on the jail to wipe everyone out because I hated every character so much, and that's when I decided it was time to pull the plug.

I might go back to Boardwalk Empire...I think I watched the first 2 seasons and liked it well enough but it just wasn't clicking for me the way I hoped it would.

Weeds was pretty good for a season or two and then really fell off and I gave up.

Update: tried House of Cards again. Started back at episode 1 and rewatched...this time I made it to about halfway through season 2 before quitting.

This show sucks, IMO. Francis just easily outsmarts everyone every single time. Wash, rinse, repeat. And him telling you what he's thinking and what he's going to do next is such an awful gimmick. You don't even get to figure anything out. No "wait, is he going to...holy crap, he's really going to......" None of that. You literally know almost everything that's going to happen because he tells you. He tells you everything he's thinking so that aspect of acting goes out the window.

The characters have little depth to them, the story is getting more and more ridiculous, and the writers treat the audience like idiots. The only interesting character with any depth didn't even make it to the end of season 1(I won't spoil who). This show sucks. Rant over.

Finally made it to the end of "How I Met Your Mother" with the girlfriend last night... What?

I don't think it was a bad ending per se, but maybe a bit of a cop out.

I hear you, I thought every episode leading up to it was great, everything was going great, then in 3 minutes BAM. We can't really get into it because spoilers and all, but man... idk.

Anyway.. I swear I wrote "What" up there, and now it says "What".. does the board automatically change that now?

I hear you, I thought every episode leading up to it was great, everything was going great, then in 3 minutes BAM. We can't really get into it because spoilers and all, but man... idk.

Anyway.. I swear I wrote "What?" up there, and now it says "What".. does the board automatically change that now?

DOUBLEYOU TEE ... why can't I say that! "What" just doesnt express how I'm trying to feel! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!! Doubleyou Tee , dude?!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I'm glad you quoted me, makes me look a little less crazy. The issue has since been corrected lol

Update: tried House of Cards again. Started back at episode 1 and rewatched...this time I made it to about halfway through season 2 before quitting.

This show sucks, IMO. Francis just easily outsmarts everyone every single time. Wash, rinse, repeat. And him telling you what he's thinking and what he's going to do next is such an awful gimmick. You don't even get to figure anything out. No "wait, is he going to...holy crap, he's really going to..." None of that. You literally know almost everything that's going to happen because he tells you. He tells you everything he's thinking so that aspect of acting goes out the window.

The characters have little depth to them, the story is getting more and more ridiculous, and the writers treat the audience like idiots. The only interesting character with any depth didn't even make it to the end of season 1(I won't spoil who). This show sucks. Rant over.
I thought the first two seasons were pretty good. The 3rd season started to lose me and I've only watched a few episodes of the 4th. Funny story, just saw the giant peach in Gaffney on my way to Atlanta last week. Had no idea it was an actual landmark

KellySyracuse said:
I thought the first two seasons were pretty good. The 3rd season started to lose me and I've only watched a few episodes of the 4th. Funny story, just saw the giant peach in Gaffney on my way to Atlanta last week. Had no idea it was an actual landmark
it's a bit of a ridiculous show in many respects but it's weird how so many of their themes wind up playing out in real life (or close to it). Agreed with the dislikeabilty of Orange is the New Black...

Just finished Bloodline on Netflix and let me tell you...its a top notch show. Extremely well acted. Picturesque setting...anyone with a big family will be able to draw some level of parallel to their family dynamics...and the dude who played Danny...what a talent..the guy is Australian? who would have thought.
just started watching this, I'm on the 5th episode of the 1st season. I'm still waiting for it to hook me in