I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

The very end of the latest True Detective episode (episode 4) scared the living crap out of me.

I'm not really liking True Detective. Supernatural stuff just seems like a thematic cop-out when it's a 'detective' show. I want and expect the answers to be real-world, not 'magic.' It's like watching a movie about magic—like Now You See Me. Magic in a live performance is one thing. I can appreciate the craft and deceit. But, on tv/in a movie? It's no more impressive than CGI. Same with a show where i'm following along hoping to 'solve' a crime along with the detectives. But, if there's a metaphysical component, it just seems like a cheap trick. I don't watch horror genre stuff, either, but there, it's expected. Not so much with crime. The exception was Twin Peaks, though... So, maybe ignore what i just wrote.

So I found the first episode of the last curb your enthusiasm season exceptionally weak. Amongst the weakest episodes the series has ever produced

Tokyo Vice is back for a second season (MAX). I didn't particularly enjoy the first season, but...

So I found the first episode of the last curb your enthusiasm season exceptionally weak. Amongst the weakest episodes the series has ever produced
The entire Producers and fatwa seasons were weak.

Tokyo Vice is back for a second season (MAX). I didn't particularly enjoy the first season, but...
I enjoyed just for its location and accurate portrayal of how extremely racist the Japanese are

…I'm bored and will try to get back into it.

I tried last night, but didn’t bother to finish the first new episode. I just don’t care. And the acting is horrendous.
I am not sure that the acting was ever what drove Miami vice.. It was fun, had cars/girls/location/music.. Acting not so much..

Most of the way through Beef. Kinda depressing at times but very entertaining. People seeking revenge, getting themselves deeper and deeper into the spit.
Read somewhere that the story arc will run 3 seasons.

Started watching "Fool Me Once. I'm now 6 episodes in of 8. There are so many twists and turns (and there are more coming, I'm sure) that it's work to follow. So when I get confused I just watch Maya. :)
Keegan may be the new “Bond Girl”.

I am not sure that the acting was ever what drove Miami vice.. It was fun, had cars/girls/location/music.. Acting not so much..
I agree about Miami Vice. I loved that show—despite the acting. It had style. That was the 80s, though. I still watch Miami Vice, and forgive the '40 years ago naiveté.'

But, this was about Tokyo Vice. I don't remember the acting being so over-the-top bad in season one. Ansel is a bit of a stiff, but in the first(?) scene, it was just painfully cardboard stiff. And many of the Japanese actors seem like they're doing that kung-fu movie caricaturization—very slow, deliberate delivery, with that deep guttural voicing.

I dunno. Season 1 was on the line—dull, but not so dull that i didn't finish it, but i did take a long, long time to consume it. Actually, i may not have even finished the last episode, which speaks to just how little i cared. I just don't like or care about any of the characters.

Oh, yeah—i thought Ansel Elgort got into some trouble with an inappropriate behavior charge or somesuch. I thought the series was not going to be renewed...

Last edited:
Keegan may be the new “Bond Girl”.
That's interesting. I think she's got something, but not quite that. I may just be disagreeing with how completely 'made up' she was in that Fool Me Once show. That kind of soap opera aesthetic takes me out of it a bit.

Who's the new "Bond Dude?" I hope they go even darker than Daniel Craig's stuff, not back to the Moore/Brosnan-ish whimsy. Take notes from Batman/The Batman's trajectory.

I’m liking Fool me once. A couple of episodes in. Holding my attention

Weak episode.

But Leon delivered.

Interesting. Since it got a bunch of Miniseries awards, I assumed it was over after this one season.
Yes thought so too. I saw this interview with Lee Sung Jin. He originally pitched the show as an anthology with new characters each season but is warming up to the idea of continuing the current story line. Says he has 3 seasons of the current story mapped out.

I agree about Miami Vice. I loved that show—despite the acting. It had style. That was the 80s, though. I still watch Miami Vice, and forgive the '40 years ago naiveté.'

But, this was about Tokyo Vice. I don't remember the acting being so over-the-top bad in season one. Ansel is a bit of a stiff, but in the first(?) scene, it was just painfully cardboard stiff. And many of the Japanese actors seem like they're doing that kung-fu movie caricaturization—very slow, deliberate delivery, with that deep guttural voicing.

I dunno. Season 1 was on the line—dull, but not so dull that i didn't finish it, but i did take a long, long time to consume it. Actually, i may not have even finished the last episode, which speaks to just how little i cared. I just don't like or care about any of the characters.

Oh, yeah—i thought Ansel Elgort got into some trouble with an inappropriate behavior charge or somesuch. I thought the series was not going to be renewed...

The architect dude sounded like a dubbed white guy

My wife and I finished the first season of School Spirits on Netflix. It was good, nice twists at the end. It started on Paramount+.

Feud: Capote vs The Swans — Hulu/FX

Not sure how I missed this series from 2017. I thought I had seen it, but I must have confused it with something else. Just finished episode 1, and I like it. I was a big fan of his writing between high school and college and I think I read all of his books, but this is only peripherally about that stuff. It’s about his lifestyle and relationships to his adoring muses in 1970s high society New York, and his eventual treachery.

Star power: Diane Lane, Demi Moore, Naomi Watts, Chloe Sevigny. I always kinda liked Naomi Watts because I thought she must genuinely be very nice, but not a good actor. She’s quite good as Babe Paley in this, though.

Taylor Tomlinson—Have It All (Netflix)

My first time seeing her. This standup show is fantastic. I’m only half finished but needed to take a break from laughing, and had to come here to tell y’all about it. This chick is crazy. Apparently, she’s got two other Netflix specials I managed to not see, so they will be next up. I gave a feeling I may have started one and had a not positive immediate experience, and skipped out, but dang, I think that was my loss.

Mostly stuff about married/single life, relationships, therapy, etc. but she’s smart—really clever takes and characterizations. I paused multiple times to rewind to see her do things just because I love her mannerisms and expressions. Fun s***.

watched the 1st 4 episodes of MASTERS OF THE AIR streaming on apple.
tom hanks and spielberg have their hands in it. not too bad so far.

Has anyone here watched The Sinner? I watched the first two episodes of season 1 last night (there are 4 seasons). Cora has some pretty deep issues, and she's not the only one.

Has anyone here watched The Sinner? I watched the first two episodes of season 1 last night (there are 4 seasons). Cora has some pretty deep issues, and she's not the only one.
I have seen all of the seasons. It’s okay. Good enough that I’d watch the next one, but not so good that I’d miss it if they don’t.

I have seen all of the seasons. It’s okay. Good enough that I’d watch the next one, but not so good that I’d miss it if they don’t.
Watched 3 & 4 tonight. It's still quirky. We thought we'd try the first episode which was weird, but then 2 started and we went along with it. We'll reassess at the end of season 1, thanks.