I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Now into episode 3 of THE TOURIST on Netflix. Man loses his memory after a car crash in the Australian bush and has to piece together why someone is trying to kill him. Liking it.

Watching Modern Family for the first time. So good. Just the right amount of cheesy.
I never finished the last season. Talk about mailing it in.

In case anyone was a fan Northern Exposure is now available for the first time for full streaming .. its on netflix.
thru the first 3 seasons.. with no DVR back in the day some I have never seen.

Some classics
War and Peace
Aurora Borealis
The Big Kiss
Slow Dance
Only You
The Body Question
Get Real
Dateline Cicely (the adam episodes always interesting)
Things become extinct
Burning Down the house.. ( this is one one I most remember from the first time around)
It happened in Juneau
Cicely

Has anyone seen the series RESIDENT ALIEN? A SyFy show from a few years ago, now on Netflix. I’ve been semi-binging it the past two weeks. It is low-key fun, in a goofy way.

An alien lands in a small town in ‘Colorado.’ Has to assume a human identity to blend into society while he looks for a piece of his spaceship.

It is kinda serenely wacky. Not sure how else to describe it.

———-

On Apple, THE NEW LOOK is pretty good, at the opposite end of seriousness. If all if it is true, it shows a perspective on history that’s fascinating. It really isn’t about ‘fashion.’

———

I finished all three standup Netflix specials by TAYLOR TOMLINSON. She’s a panic. Loved that stuff.

Then watched another comic named JACQUELINE NOVAK. This woman is incredible. As I described this to my sister: she begins at a pace you will just know she can’t sustain. But she does. Half way through, you might think she is so intensely insane that she might set herself on fire at the end of the program. Her stuff is at an intellectual level I’ve never seen in comedy before. Most of the set is about a certain sekshull act, and yet it’s not ‘locker room’ stuff. It’s amazing. Please watch and share your experience.

——-

I wrote about FEUD: CAPOTE VS THE SWANS earlier. It’s still fantastic. One of my favorite news personalities—Stephanie Ruhle—posted on instagram yesterday: “If i could inject Capote vs The Swans into my bloodstream I would.”

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the series RESIDENT ALIEN? A SyFy show from a few years ago, now on Netflix. I’ve been semi-binging it the past two weeks. It is low-key fun, in a goofy way.

An alien lands in a small town in ‘Colorado.’ Has to assume a human identity to blend into society while he looks for a piece of his spaceship.

———-
I enjoy it. It does not seem like a new season is coming, unfortunately.

There is a Canadian show called Happily Married that is possibly the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. Set in 1975 not far from Montreal it is in French and subtitled in English. First season on Amazon. I literally lol’d at some point in every episode.

———-

On Apple, THE NEW LOOK is pretty good, at the opposite end of seriousness. If all if it is true, it shows a perspective on history that’s fascinating. It really isn’t about ‘fashion.’

———

I finished all three standup Netflix specials by TAYLOR TOMLINSON. She’s a panic. Loved that stuff.

Then watched another comic named JACQUELINE NOVAK. This woman is incredible. As I described this to my sister: she begins at a pace you will just know she can’t sustain. But she does. Half way through, you might think she is so intensely insane that she might set herself on fire at the end of the program. Her stuff is at an intellectual level I’ve never seen in comedy before. Most of the set is about a certain sekshull act, and yet it’s not ‘locker room’ stuff. It’s amazing. Please watch and share your experience.

——-

I wrote about FEUD: CAPOTE VS THE SWANS earlier. It’s still fantastic. One of my favorite news personalities—Stephanie Ruhle—posted on instagram yesterday: “If i could inject Capote vs The Swans into my bloodstream I would.”
Wife and I were stunned by that Jacqueline Novak special. Happened about it randomly a month or 2 ago and thought it was all-time great. Loved the new Tomlinson one as well but the Novak one is completely bonkers.

The New Look starring Ben Mendelsohn and Maisie Williams on Apple TV+ is really good.
Episode 5, man…. I cried and cried.
Yes, really good. I almost didn’t watch the series at all. Started the pilot and turned it off after just a few minutes. Thought it was a bit corny, and was going to be too much about the frivolous fashion biz—a topic I used to have great interest in. But it’s not really about that. The industry is almost incidental. Good, good stuff. I didn’t even recognize Maisie!

My wife and I started One Day on Netflix. It follows the relationship between a man and a woman over a 20 year span focusing on one day (July 15) of each year beginning when they are both graduating college. We are about half way through and have found it very engrossing. The story has a Richard Linklater feel to it. The actors portraying the 2 main characters (Ambika Mod and Leo Woodall) are both excellent at portraying the emotions each is feeling during the ebb and flow of their lives together and apart. Friends? Lovers? Soulmates? It's a complicated story that may or may not have a happy ending.

Only through two episodes but #2 was sick.
Only watched the pilot and wasn't too excited so guess I'll have to sit back down tonight.

Keep watching The Regime every week and can't really figure out if I like or dislike it. Give every major HBO Sunday night show a watch so I think that's effecting my judgment because if it was on a different network I probably would've quit it after 2 or 3.

Only watched the pilot and wasn't too excited so guess I'll have to sit back down tonight.

Keep watching The Regime every week and can't really figure out if I like or dislike it. Give every major HBO Sunday night show a watch so I think that's effecting my judgment because if it was on a different network I probably would've quit it after 2 or 3.

I would like to like The Regime; it's just not my cup of tea.
I think it's been characterized as some kind of a black comedy but it isn't really all that funny, IMO.

Haven't tracked the whole thread. Has anyone not mentioned Ozark? The Americans? Great shows.

Masters of the Air is compelling. Catch 22 without the comedy. Amazing how they could keep getting in the planes.

Haven't tracked the whole thread. Has anyone not mentioned Ozark? The Americans? Great shows.
They have. The search function is helpful on these occasions. You can even search within a specific thread. Props to the developers.

Resident Alien — back for season 3. The same gooooooofy fun. I can imagine many people won't connect with this brand of humor, but it hits me. Some of it is low-brow, some is subtle, some is just quirky.

The New Look — i'm only at episode 6 or 7. Really good. As i said earlier, episode 5 made me weep. The things humans have done to each other...

Manhunt — Quite interesting. I really did not know any of this story. Or, maybe i forgot? No, i think i knew Booth shot Lincoln, but i had no knowledge of what ensued. I prolly just assumed they nabbed him immediately...

The Regime — I really liked Winslett in Mare of Easttown. Don't really like The Regime. I wonder if this is her, as producer, trying to do the Veep thing. It's like Veep crossed with House of Cards (in a way), but it has none of the humor or charm of drama of those two shows. It's almost like an ego play, and Kate gets sewn up in her outfits like Robin Wright, but... not with the same effect. Is it supposed to be fun/funny? Definitely is not.

Masters of the Air — i dunno. It's really well made. But, the missions in each episode are pretty much the same. I'm just getting to the 'aftermath' of some of that, so maybe the dynamic will be different. Very well produced. Someone above asked if the CGI is cheesy, and i have to say it is absolutely not. I'm pretty critical of that sort of thing, and i'm watching on a 75" screen. It's good, 'organic,' the physics are great...

Homicide: New York (Netflix) — True crime series, detailing six(?) different murders in Manhattan. It has a bit of a too-produced Law & Order vibe sometimes, but it's still compelling if you're into such things.

Palm Royale — Kristen Wiig's new show on Apple. After only one episode, i'm going to continue with it, but i'm not finding it of as much interest as i expected.

3 Body Problem — I've only seen the first episode. Not sure yet. I don't have immediate love for it, but i expect the bigger stuff is to come.

Drive to Survive —i'm only 2 episodes in. I LOVE F1, but i can't imagine this is going to be a fun/interesting season of this show, with Red Bull winning all the races last year. Wonder if they cut it to show some of the Christian Horner mess.

The Gentlemen — Some good moments. But, i don't love this, either. Maybe it's the cast. The main guy is just so dull. I love some Guy Richie stuff (Snatch, Rocknrolla), but not all of his stuff. I didn't care for the movie this is based on. It's a decent watch, though.

The Tourist — Definitely enjoyed season one more than season two, so far.

Feud: Capote vs The Swans — Loved this. I think with this and The New Look i'm just wallowing in the eras where there was so much more elegance and character in the daily aesthetic.

House of the Dragon — Rewatching. Fantastic stuff. 'Smaller' than GoT, but the drama is more compressed. Can't wait for season 2.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith — I really had high hopes for this. I liked her from Pen15. But, i absolutely hate when 'married' couples squabble. Hate it. Especially when it becomes the overarching theme. Sometimes it is done well, or maybe there's humor or moderation. But, here, It just gets ugly, not at all fun. I think i got 6 or 7 episodes in, but i may not even finish it.

Movies

Damsel (Netflix) — I like Millie. Didn't care for this. Too much cheese.

Priscilla — I like Sofia Coppola. Lost in Translation is a film i rewatch a few times every year. Love that movie. I liked Somewhere. But, Coppola just seems to choose projects that focus on the small stuff or nothingness, and too often, that's not enough for me. With Lost, i like Bill Murray and crushed on Scarlett and the two of them plus the atmosphere in Tokyo made a perfect brew for my sensibilities. Somewhere started with a Ferrari to hook me, and Elle Fanning was so sweet she made up for Stephen Dorff's ickiness. And i liked the atmosphere of LA (and Milan). Anyway... Priscilla is just a bit dull for me. I just don't care that much. Wasn't ever an Elvis fan, but i thought the Austin Butler film was interesting. But, a film about the wife of the star, where she stays home, goes to school, etc... Sofia focusing on the banal again.

Wonka — started it. Probably watched half. Not loving it.

A lot of this is me being old(er) and just not having the patience for things anymore. Some is just that the content isn't really that great. It's damned hard to create new works now. What hasn't been done? There aren't enough new, good ideas. We have the tech to execute anything, but we don't have to invest ourselves in what we don't immediately connect with, because there's (barely) enough other stuff to try. I would rather rewatch something i've seen many times before than finish the second half of something that doesn't move me.