I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 95 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

I agree. Not a series I will ever watch a second time.

What about 3 Body Problem? Is anyone actually enjoying this? Feels like I’m only even continuing to give it a chance because of the names behind it.
Finished 3BP. Left me a little cold. I hear the 30 episode Chinese series is better and much more faithful to the trilogy. Also hear that Netflix hasn’t greenlighted the second season yet due to the cost of production.

I agree. Not a series I will ever watch a second time.

What about 3 Body Problem? Is anyone actually enjoying this? Feels like I’m only even continuing to give it a chance because of the names behind it.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I really liked the book series.

Yeah I'd like to avoid spoilers. I'm hoping at the end there is a "wowwwwww" type of moment.
Well, finished DARK. Without a doubt the most confusing show I have ever watched. I enjoyed following along, but it became basically impossible to keep it all straight. There was some nice closure to it all, but definitely wish there was a bit more clarity for all the moving pieces, literally. I'm sure ton of theories and discussions online about it, which I'll check out.

Finishing the 2nd season of Life & Beth. Wife and I both love it.

Slowly plugging away at 3 Body Problem. Think we've knocked out 3 or 4 so far. Feel kind of the same as I did about The Regime, that I'm supposed to like it because of Benioff & Weiss so keep watching even though I don't think I do.

Guys on The Watch said Ripley might be the best thing Netflix has made since Mindhunter so looking forward to that.

Finishing the 2nd season of Life & Beth. Wife and I both love it.

Slowly plugging away at 3 Body Problem. Think we've knocked out 3 or 4 so far. Feel kind of the same as I did about The Regime, that I'm supposed to like it because of Benioff & Weiss so keep watching even though I don't think I do.

Guys on The Watch said Ripley might be the best thing Netflix has made since Mindhunter so looking forward to that.

I just came to post about RIPLEY.

The cinematography is stunning. It’s like some of the best b/w photography I e ever seen. It’ly looks amazing.

I had just re-watched The Talented Mr Ripley, so that contrast is fresh in my mind. RIPLEY’s casting is… odd… in comparison. The acting is good, but the series just doesn’t have the same life, magic, charm, spirit of the film. It’s far darker and more somber. Not sure if that means it has more or less fidelity to the book, but I certainly prefer all of the film’s actors and characters to those of the series. By far. Paltrow, like she did in SE7EN, brought so much light and warmth to a dark subject matter. Fanning doesn’t do that. Her affect, as Dickie’s, is extraordinarily flat.

The series is absolutely a must watch. It’s just beautiful. But, don’t let the series substitute for seeing the film.

Anyone start Fallout yet?
Just finished in three sittings. Didn't know anything about it going in, but I really enjoyed it. Good sci-fi. Clever and funny at times. Chris Parnell was great (episode 7) and there was an Erik Estrada appearance!

I just came to post about RIPLEY.

The cinematography is stunning. It’s like some of the best b/w photography I e ever seen. It’ly looks amazing.

I had just re-watched The Talented Mr Ripley, so that contrast is fresh in my mind. RIPLEY’s casting is… odd… in comparison. The acting is good, but the series just doesn’t have the same life, magic, charm, spirit of the film. It’s far darker and more somber. Not sure if that means it has more or less fidelity to the book, but I certainly prefer all of the film’s actors and characters to those of the series. By far. Paltrow, like she did in SE7EN, brought so much light and warmth to a dark subject matter. Fanning doesn’t do that. Her affect, as Dickie’s, is extraordinarily flat.

The series is absolutely a must watch. It’s just beautiful. But, don’t let the series substitute for seeing the film.
My wife and I are enjoying Ripley. Couldn't agree more about the cinematography. Absolutely beautiful. We haven't seen the movie but definitely will now.

We're also watching Palm Royale, which is very meh.

My wife and I are enjoying Ripley. Couldn't agree more about the cinematography. Absolutely beautiful. We haven't seen the movie but definitely will now.

We're also watching Palm Royale, which is very meh.
I enjoyed Ripley. It’s amazing how visually striking it can be despite being black and white.

I enjoyed Ripley. It’s amazing how visually striking it can be despite being black and white.
I have been discussing Ripley with a friend—we were both obsessed with photography back in the pre-digital days. Both extremely impressed by Ripley and the art of it. Even down to trying to figure out which film stock+developer it reminds us of… even though it was shot on digital. Whatever grading and processing they used is phenomenal, and it all really does look like the books I have, shot on film from the 40s through the 90s. I really can’t remember another movie or series that was so beautifully ‘photographed.’ When you say “despite being black and white,” I cringe!

Couple of solid, strong recommendations on Netflix. The wrong side of the tracks, Spanish language, subtitled fantastic show (you can listen to it dubbed in English), and the fall of the House of Usher was even better. Though if you’re a Trump fan you’ll wanna skip the last episode of the one season.

Any feedback on Rebel Moon?
I just watched them both. Second one is better than the first. I enjoyed them, but it's your standard Netflix Sci-fi fare. Was hoping for a little more Zack Snyder gravitas (or production budget.)

I finished RIPLEY last night. Took my time with it.

As i said before, it's spectacular, visually. Just phenomenal photography/cinematography.

Really liked the series, up until the last episode...

Many spoilers to follow:

I may have to re-watch, but i didn't like the final episode much. Oddly, i didn't even finish it in one sitting—had to break it up into two, which is something i didn't do with any of the others. When i stopped midway, i thought i was doing so because of the tension of the expected resolution? Not sure. I just didn't want to do it all in one go. But, upon watching the second half, i kinda feel like maybe it was because i just wasn't liking it.

• So, i guess i need to rewatch, because i don't understand how the primary detective all of a sudden got stupid. Maybe it's me? But, didn't Tom darken the room and move lights—in an ode to Carravaggio—in order to help disguise himself? To be Tom? And the detective didn't realize he was talking to the same person he had interviewed as 'Dickie' at least twice before? Tom as Dickie had the same voice, mannerisms, etc, but Top Cop didn't know he wasn't talking to a different person?

• Why was Marge all of a sudden quite friendly to Tom, when she had previously only had contempt, disdain, distrust for him?

• Tom gets a palace for himself. What? Okay, so there was an important scene where he takes a basement apartment for a short while, which is meant to represent that he hasn't progressed from his basement NY apartment. So, maybe it can be rationalized that he takes this massive home because he 'needed' it, that time isn't promised to us, etc. But, it's just going to make him more prominent and findable. He gets invitations to parties, why? Because he was the occupant of the palatial manor or because he had notoriety from the news articles? Either way, it was easy to access him, which should have been the last thing he wanted at this point. [Should have gotten out of Italy, but hey—.] And then he would have to explain the sudden wealth, when there was already speculation that he had killed Dickie, someone had been forging checks, there's a missing Picasso, he had been taking advantage of Mr. Greenleaf, etc. You don't spend big in a situation like that.

• Lastly, the finale employs a lot of gimmicks. Tricks to lead you to think something's about to happen. Maybe they're the kids of tricks you might expect in a random suspense drama, but they were all pretty hamfistedly done here, in contrast to all the previous episodes where it was more elegant.

Lastly, i have to say that i preferred the movie's treatment overall. The B+W aesthetic of the series is unparalleled, but maybe i take the series as a 'study.' The film had much more life and energy, which one should expect from a condensation to two hours, but it's the film's components that contribute more to this: Paltrow's Marge has light and kindness and warmth, while Fanning's is cold and distant. Jude Law was perfect as Dickie, but Johnny Flynn (!) was flat. The film had Cate Blanchett—in maybe her worst acting job, but still the role was important. The series didn't have that character at all, right? That whole thing with her and Peter Smith-Kingsley in the film was a positive addition to the film that i missed in the series...

Resident Alien — back for season 3. The same gooooooofy fun. I can imagine many people won't connect with this brand of humor, but it hits me. Some of it is low-brow, some is subtle, some is just quirky.

The New Look — i'm only at episode 6 or 7. Really good. As i said earlier, episode 5 made me weep. The things humans have done to each other...

Manhunt — Quite interesting. I really did not know any of this story. Or, maybe i forgot? No, i think i knew Booth shot Lincoln, but i had no knowledge of what ensued. I prolly just assumed they nabbed him immediately...

The Regime — I really liked Winslett in Mare of Easttown. Don't really like The Regime. I wonder if this is her, as producer, trying to do the Veep thing. It's like Veep crossed with House of Cards (in a way), but it has none of the humor or charm of drama of those two shows. It's almost like an ego play, and Kate gets sewn up in her outfits like Robin Wright, but... not with the same effect. Is it supposed to be fun/funny? Definitely is not.

Masters of the Air — i dunno. It's really well made. But, the missions in each episode are pretty much the same. I'm just getting to the 'aftermath' of some of that, so maybe the dynamic will be different. Very well produced. Someone above asked if the CGI is cheesy, and i have to say it is absolutely not. I'm pretty critical of that sort of thing, and i'm watching on a 75" screen. It's good, 'organic,' the physics are great...

Homicide: New York (Netflix) — True crime series, detailing six(?) different murders in Manhattan. It has a bit of a too-produced Law & Order vibe sometimes, but it's still compelling if you're into such things.

Palm Royale — Kristen Wiig's new show on Apple. After only one episode, i'm going to continue with it, but i'm not finding it of as much interest as i expected.

3 Body Problem — I've only seen the first episode. Not sure yet. I don't have immediate love for it, but i expect the bigger stuff is to come.

Drive to Survive —i'm only 2 episodes in. I LOVE F1, but i can't imagine this is going to be a fun/interesting season of this show, with Red Bull winning all the races last year. Wonder if they cut it to show some of the Christian Horner mess.

The Gentlemen — Some good moments. But, i don't love this, either. Maybe it's the cast. The main guy is just so dull. I love some Guy Richie stuff (Snatch, Rocknrolla), but not all of his stuff. I didn't care for the movie this is based on. It's a decent watch, though.

The Tourist — Definitely enjoyed season one more than season two, so far.

Feud: Capote vs The Swans — Loved this. I think with this and The New Look i'm just wallowing in the eras where there was so much more elegance and character in the daily aesthetic.

House of the Dragon — Rewatching. Fantastic stuff. 'Smaller' than GoT, but the drama is more compressed. Can't wait for season 2.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith — I really had high hopes for this. I liked her from Pen15. But, i absolutely hate when 'married' couples squabble. Hate it. Especially when it becomes the overarching theme. Sometimes it is done well, or maybe there's humor or moderation. But, here, It just gets ugly, not at all fun. I think i got 6 or 7 episodes in, but i may not even finish it.

Movies

Damsel (Netflix) — I like Millie. Didn't care for this. Too much cheese.

Priscilla — I like Sofia Coppola. Lost in Translation is a film i rewatch a few times every year. Love that movie. I liked Somewhere. But, Coppola just seems to choose projects that focus on the small stuff or nothingness, and too often, that's not enough for me. With Lost, i like Bill Murray and crushed on Scarlett and the two of them plus the atmosphere in Tokyo made a perfect brew for my sensibilities. Somewhere started with a Ferrari to hook me, and Elle Fanning was so sweet she made up for Stephen Dorff's ickiness. And i liked the atmosphere of LA (and Milan). Anyway... Priscilla is just a bit dull for me. I just don't care that much. Wasn't ever an Elvis fan, but i thought the Austin Butler film was interesting. But, a film about the wife of the star, where she stays home, goes to school, etc... Sofia focusing on the banal again.

Wonka — started it. Probably watched half. Not loving it.

A lot of this is me being old(er) and just not having the patience for things anymore. Some is just that the content isn't really that great. It's damned hard to create new works now. What hasn't been done? There aren't enough new, good ideas. We have the tech to execute anything, but we don't have to invest ourselves in what we don't immediately connect with, because there's (barely) enough other stuff to try. I would rather rewatch something i've seen many times before than finish the second half of something that doesn't move me.
I've watched the first 2 episodes of Manhunt. I knew that Booth wasn't captured immediately, but didn't really know the full story. Pretty good so far.

Is it more accurate than the orielly book on boothe
I did not read that book so I can't answer. But I'll have to look up the book as this topic fascinates me.