I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

HBO hits more than it misses. If you pick a random series on HBOGo, the odds are you will land on something good. Here are some that I haven't seen mentioned:

Boardwalk Empire - it's not the Sopranos, but nothing is

Deadwood - you have to pay me to watch westerns, but this
is great

In Treatment - enjoy the emotional pain of others

Curb Your Enthusiasm - legendary

Entourage - meathead drama at its best

Rome - Game of Thrones without the white walkers; much of it actually happened

Bored to Death - made me love Ted Danson again

Family Tree - if you like Christopher Guest mockumemtaries (e.g., Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, This is Spinal Tap); a tragedy that it only got one season

Netflix

Bloodline - it's just good

Narcos - organized crime is so good when it's done well

Derek - The Office spiked with sentimentality

Freaks and Geeks - a tragedy that it only got one season

Arrested Development - you'll never settle for mediocre sitcoms (e.g., The Big Bang Theory) after watching this

The Gilmore Girls - I didn't want to like this, but I'm a sucker for wit

The Twilight Zone - you don't have to wait for the New Year's marathon on SyFy
I second Deadwood and In Treatment.

24 - Breathtaking! I watched the entire first season over the course of about 25 hours (had to take a nap, at one point). Goes down hill after a few seasons, though.

Damages - Glenn Close is a great lawyer that manipulates people and there's always more going on than meets the eye.

Last edited:
I only got to the episode where they tried to melt the guy in the bath tub in the first season. I know, I know, I should continue it. Maybe start from the beginning again? I think I might need something a little lighter tho right now.

thanks, will consider this one

I second Breaking Bad. My favorite show of all time.

If you're looking for something lighter, Master of None on Netflix might be a good choice. Banged out all 10 episodes the weekend it came out on Netflix. Really funny, smart and thoughtful. They’re easy 30 minute comedy episodes so you can rip through them no problem on a lazy Saturday. The show is funny and very, very relatable. Its corny and cheesy at times. Its got that sort of goofy Aziz Ansari flair to it where he’s doing funny voices and clowning around. But, at least to me, it is all stuff that hits home. Some of the stuff they tackle they nail 100%. From hooking up to getting married to having kids its all spot on. Almost in a scary, sort of depressing way at times. There’s a scene where Aziz envisions his own marriage and the wedding vows are so unbelievably accurate its hilarious and sorta terrifying. The Plan B scene, the bad dates, the friends with kids, interacting with parents, all very relatable. Like I said its got its corny feel good moments but its a nice change of pace from the general depressing and over-serious TV we all watch now. Its got some happy heartfelt stuff at times and I dont think thats bad.

https://twitter.com/GQMagazine/status/660182656840286208

I second Breaking Bad. My favorite show of all time.

If you're looking for something lighter, Master of None on Netflix might be a good choice. Banged out all 10 episodes the weekend it came out on Netflix. Really funny, smart and thoughtful. They’re easy 30 minute comedy episodes so you can rip through them no problem on a lazy Saturday. The show is funny and very, very relatable. Its corny and cheesy at times. Its got that sort of goofy Aziz Ansari flair to it where he’s doing funny voices and clowning around. But, at least to me, it is all stuff that hits home. Some of the stuff they tackle they nail 100%. From hooking up to getting married to having kids its all spot on. Almost in a scary, sort of depressing way at times. There’s a scene where Aziz envisions his own marriage and the wedding vows are so unbelievably accurate its hilarious and sorta terrifying. The Plan B scene, the bad dates, the friends with kids, interacting with parents, all very relatable. Like I said its got its corny feel good moments but its a nice change of pace from the general depressing and over-serious TV we all watch now. Its got some happy heartfelt stuff at times and I dont think thats bad.

https://twitter.com/GQMagazine/status/660182656840286208
that is definitely what I'd be looking for, thanks!

Ragman2000 said:
Must...resist...bait...gaaaaaaaaaaah. The Wire is overrated. Breaking Bad is the most perfect art ever to grace your television and is the best show during the golden age of amazing TV we are experiencing right now. Anyone who disagrees with me is offically a giant poopoo head, pardon my french, no exceptions. Especially you jekelish

Nooooooo. The wire is such a great slow burn. Cant compare it fairly to something like BB.

Breaking bad's last season was so laughably bad its nauseating. Season 3-4 were near perfect.

Nooooooo. The wire is such a great slow burn. Cant compare it fairly to something like BB.

Breaking bad's last season was so laughably bad its nauseating. Season 3-4 were near perfect.
Let it be known I know a plethora of people of different backgrounds who have watched this whole series, and you are the first person I've ever heard with this opinion. I disagree, and wonder what planet you derive from ;)

Watch Sherlock - Cumberbun and the dude from The Office UK. Not many episodes - admittedly one or tow are duds.

Humans (BBC) was good - not sure if it's on Neflix yet.

The Wire is phenomenal - although maybe dated a bit now. Like KellySyracuse, abandoned ship on BB early on. Still going to go back and watch someday.

Ragman2000 said:
Let it be known I know a plethora of people of different backgrounds who have watched this whole series, and you are the first person I've ever heard with this opinion. I disagree, and wonder what planet you derive from ;)
Crazytalk!
I know im in the minority but oh well. I am biased against people who dont appreciate the genius of the wire
Im from krypton but grew up on earth

I agree with the gentleman who recommended Jessica Jones :). Watching daredevil now:E.

I decided to see what all the hype was about and Mr. Robot did not disappoint. Only The Leftovers was better for me this year. Rami Malek is incredible.

One show I haven't seen mentioned is The Killing. I got sucked into it and loved it.

Netflix - Bloodline and Narco are great

Watching Rome right now on Prime. I thoroughly enjoy it.

I made The Killing appointment viewing, especially because Seattle is my home. Good stuff.

Really loved Daredevil... But I think I could watch Vincent D'Onofrio in anything.

A couple of the Netflix shows I've really been getting into lately:

1. Luther - Idris Elba, Ruth Wilson, just a really great show IMO.
2. Master of None - I personally love Aziz Ansari
3. Parks & Rec - See above, plus basically everyone else in the cast
4. Daredevil - I'm not really into superhero type shows/movies, but this was REALLY good.
5. Jessica Jones - See above.
6. Peaky Blinders - Cillian Murphy, Helen McRory; This is a show that takes place just outside of London in the late 1800's (I think). It's about a family gang called the Peaky Blinders and it's just fantastic.
7. Leverage - This show was cancelled a few years ago, but I loved it. It's sort of a lighter crime/Robin Hood kinda story and I just love the characters in it; stars Timothy Hutton.
8. Royal Pains - Like Leverage, it's a lighter show, but this one is basically a lighter doctor-drama kinda show; I'd recommend the 7 above this one more, but I enjoyed this show too.

Amazon:
The Man in the High Tower. Just came out and has gotten amazing reviews; I haven't personally watched it yet, but I'm dying to.

I decided to go with House of Cards for now, holy smokes is Francis an evil sob. I appreciate all the suggestions and will bump this thread when I get to the next show hole.

solid choice.

showtime: the affair..
cinemax: The knick.
hbo: leftovers season 2 especially.
netflix: narcos and workaholics

KellySyracuse said:
anyone here watch The Americans?

Very good show, can't wait for the new season.

Also, to follow on with melancer: just started watching High Castle and it seems very good.

here another free net based show that i cant stop watching...comedians in cars getting coffee. i cant stop watching the damn thing
I only saw the one with David Letterman which was hilarious. Got to get into that

Watch Sherlock - Cumberbun and the dude from The Office UK. Not many episodes - admittedly one or tow are duds.

The Wire is phenomenal - although maybe dated a bit now. Like KellySyracuse, abandoned ship on BB early on. Still going to go back and watch someday.
I can second Humans. Delightfully unsettling.

If you have Sundance, this is a great time to jump in on Breaking Bad. They're about to start airing 2 episodes per week (Wednesdays, I think? Not sure, but still).

Just watched Alpha House. Good cast.
Comedy about 4 Republican senators sharing a townhouse in Georgetown. Nice light comedy. 2 seasons on Amazon Prime.