I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

hannah on amazon. quite silly but great fun

Silly? I think it’s great! Wasn’t sure what I would be getting into when I first decided to check it out; totally surprised in a very good way.

Nice list, I should check some of those out. Yes, Mrs. Maisel crashed in the second season - for every moment in the original that was fresh and funny, its counterpart in the second was formulaic and forced. Borderline unwatchable, which was disappointing because the first season was the best thing I saw on TV in 2018.

I loved 24 when it was first run. About three years ago I caught the first two seasons on Netflix...wow. Silly doesn't do it justice. That did not age well.

We caught A Very English Scandal on Prime last week. Hadn't seen that mentioned on here yet. It was OK, pretty well done (as always), kind of sad.

Sterling K. Brown has signed on to be in season 3. I still love this show

Just started Happy Valley, a British cop show. Find myself unable to wait to see each next episode. 5 episodes in. Looks like one case is going to take two seasons (12 episodes, total).

No. It's not about certain crimes perpetrated in south-central Pennsylvania.

Yes, Mrs. Maisel crashed in the second season - for every moment in the original that was fresh and funny, its counterpart in the second was formulaic and forced.
nonsense. if anything, season 2 was superior to season 1.

I'm wondering if this thread is good or no. Sometimes things get buried in the middle...

nonsense. if anything, season 2 was superior to season 1.

Moqui, you're not typically one of those drive-by posters...in what ways did you think it was superior?

I'm wondering if this thread is good or no. Sometimes things get buried in the middle...

It is. At least half of the recent shows I've loved have only come across my radar on this thread.

I heard game of thrones is legit but have not started. Some day... haha. Big Lord of the rings guy so I like this stuff.

Started netflix's Black Summer last night. 1 episode in and I'm going to have to finish it. Its a zombie series sort of in the vein of 28 Days. its raw. I like how it's filmed and seems well done - for now.

Last edited:
Started netflix's Black Summer last night. 1 episode in and I'm going to have to finish its. Its a zombie series sort of in the vein of 28 Days. its raw. I like how it's filmed and seems well done - for now.
I think the 28 Days zombies are the scariest.

I think the 28 Days zombies are the scariest.

That's one of my favorite movies. The zombies in this series run fast and are relentless. Seems the head shot kills them but they don't die easy.

The surviving humans in this series aren't very nice either as everyone is scrambling to survive and get supplies so it really adds to it. I'm not so much a zombie fan but I'm a big fan of the dystopian post-apocalyptic genre. So far I'm digging it.

Just started Happy Valley, a British cop show. Find myself unable to wait to see each next episode. 5 episodes in. Looks like one case is going to take two seasons (12 episodes, total).

No. It's not about certain crimes perpetrated in south-central Pennsylvania.
I thought i mentioned this, but i didn't... Somewhere else, i guess. Yeah, it's cool. Definitely nothing happy about it, though.

I thought i mentioned this, but i didn't... Somewhere else, i guess. Yeah, it's cool. Definitely nothing happy about it, though.
One of those shows where there's constant impending doom. Not much humor but it's compelling.

Moqui, you're not typically one of those drive-by posters...in what ways did you think it was superior?

there were several things that should be apparent to all audiences
  • the growth of midge's comedy both in breadth and depth
  • the growth of her character, showing both her increasing confidence as well as her vulnerability
  • the development of the secondary characters, especially joel
on top of that, this season was outrageously funny, but it may be that the humor was too specific; that is, too jewish. i myself am not jewish, but i married into a very jewish family and saw so many of the quirks of my in-law family in both the weisman's and the maisel's.

rachel brosnahan and alex borstein both well-deserved their awards, but i think caroline aaron as shirley maisel deserves a special shout out. after being under utilized in the first season, for those familiar with a certain type of older jewish mother, she was pee-in-my-pants hilarious in nearly every scene this season

there were several things that should be apparent to all audiences
  • the growth of midge's comedy both in breadth and depth
  • the growth of her character, showing both her increasing confidence as well as her vulnerability
  • the development of the secondary characters, especially joel
on top of that, this season was outrageously funny, but it may be that the humor was too specific; that is, too jewish. i myself am not jewish, but i married into a very jewish family and saw so many of the quirks of my in-law family in both the weisman's and the maisel's.

rachel brosnahan and alex borstein both well-deserved their awards, but i think caroline aaron as shirley maisel deserves a special shout out. after being under utilized in the first season, for those familiar with a certain type of older jewish mother, she was pee-in-my-pants hilarious in nearly every scene this season

I actually thought some of the Jewish humor was caricatured and overly broad. That's one of my main gripes with the show (and about the father-in-law in particular; much less so Caroline Aaron, who's pretty good in a lot of roles, including this one). My favorite storyline in Season Two involved the Weissmans, who are much more three-dimensionally written and very well acted. Brosnahan has given a great performance in both seasons, the actress who plays her manager is consistently funny (love how expressive her face is without language; if anything, some of her dialogue is unnecessary), but the parents were the highlight for me this season.

I actually thought some of the Jewish humor was caricatured and overly broad. That's one of my main gripes with the show (and about the father-in-law in particular; much less so Caroline Aaron, who's pretty good in a lot of roles, including this one). My favorite storyline in Season Two involved the Weissmans, who are much more three-dimensionally written and very well acted. Brosnahan has given a great performance in both seasons, the actress who plays her manager is consistently funny (love how expressive her face is without language; if anything, some of her dialogue is unnecessary), but the parents were the highlight for me this season.

The mom’s weirdness in Paris and then the dad’s acceptance of it threw me off, but that’s also what I like about the show. Not all that predictable.

Then the whole Dirty Dancing stuff in the Catskills was just so corny yet great.

Big fan, can’t wait for the next season.

Homeland Season 1 - great.
Season 2 - good.

Season 3?? I’m 3 episodes in and I’m bored to tears. I hope this season gets better.

Edit: my bad. I’m actually only two episodes in. Really thought it was 3. Not good. That’s how boring those two episodes were.

Homeland always gets pretty good if you stick with it. But nothing will compare to season 1. One of the best kickoff seasons of any show.

I liked Narcos Mexico - entertaining. I liked Narcos Columbia better. I'm wondering if we get the rise of El Chapo Guzman for Mexico season 2.

**Spoiler Alert**

I was disappointed how Netflix portrayed the kidnapping and holding of the DEA agent. They softened up what happened to this guy in real life. I honestly hate the fact the show wants you to feel sorry for these guys (Felix especially) who gave rise to the Sinaloa Cartel. Give me a break. Félix Gallardo ordered the kidnapping. Read up on what they really did to DEA agent Kiki Camarena on Felix's ranch. Brutal.

My other thoughts are probably better left for the OT board - lol.

I’m halfway thru Narcos Mexico and enjoying it so far. Plus I get to read while I watch TV. Kills 2 birds.

Homeland always gets pretty good if you stick with it. But nothing will compare to season 1. One of the best kickoff seasons of any show.

Yeah, season 3 got better and I liked it well enough.

But the way it ended, it certainly didn’t leave me ready to start season 4 right away. It felt like a series ender in a way, and felt like the show will kinda have to be rebooting for season 4. I’ll probably start it up again eventually, but can’t say I’m in a hurry or anything.