I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Always been an oval racing guy, having raced a bit myself. Was never into any sort of road racing, but always had respect for what those guys did. Couldn't believe how "into" Drive to Survive I got. Binged season 1 in like three evenings, same thing with season 2.

Made me start to play around with open wheel road racing on iracing. Maybe a little sports car action too.
Was in a race with Felipe Nasr the other day, 65 laps at Indy
Holy crap. I envy you—having actually raced. Awesome.

I used to like the oval stuff when i was a kid. Mario Andretti's black car was the thing for me.

And then in the early 90s, i loved CART as much as F1. But, then 'my guy' Greg Moore died as i was watching, and that really was traumatic for me, even just as a spectator. Then CART sorta went belly-up or something and i lost interest. Zanardi cut himself in half, and then i don't know what. I just put all my eggs into the F1 thing.

Yeah, i've been watching the virtual Formula 1 races, too. I'm shocked at how the 'video game' races with a bunch of real F1 drivers is actually interesting and almost as exciting as real races. I used to joke about how stupid it is to watch other people play video games, but with these races, the graphics are really good, and the personalities involved make it somewhat more significant. Kind of amazing how Leclerc is running away with all the races, though. Someone suggested it's because he's using hydraulic pedal assembly, but i would have thought most of those other experienced iracing guys would be, as well. I hope other pro drivers join in, although if i were Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel, you could only lose a bit of your 'glitter' if you don't win.

Holy crap. I envy you—having actually raced. Awesome.

I used to like the oval stuff when i was a kid. Mario Andretti's black car was the thing for me.

And then in the early 90s, i loved CART as much as F1. But, then 'my guy' Greg Moore died as i was watching, and that really was traumatic for me, even just as a spectator. Then CART sorta went belly-up or something and i lost interest. Zanardi cut himself in half, and then i don't know what. I just put all my eggs into the F1 thing.

Yeah, i've been watching the virtual Formula 1 races, too. I'm shocked at how the 'video game' races with a bunch of real F1 drivers is actually interesting and almost as exciting as real races. I used to joke about how stupid it is to watch other people play video games, but with these races, the graphics are really good, and the personalities involved make it somewhat more significant. Kind of amazing how Leclerc is running away with all the races, though. Someone suggested it's because he's using hydraulic pedal assembly, but i would have thought most of those other experienced iracing guys would be, as well. I hope other pro drivers join in, although if i were Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel, you could only lose a bit of your 'glitter' if you don't win.

Was real lucky that both my parents came from racing families. I ran 250cc micro sprints and 4cly mustangs from age 12-17, then found out about girls, parties and causing trouble. I'd like to get back into it if I ever move back to the lower 48.

People get pretty upset when folks call Iracing a video game lol. They refer to it as a "Racing Simulator"
It's different than any video game you've ever played. I have a fairly basic set up, but it's freaking wild. If I'm going into a corner and I start to lose traction even a little bit, I feel it in my wheel. Forced feedback they call it. The big money guys are running direct drive steering (starts out at like $1,400.) My forced feedback setup was $300. Besides upgrading the pedals, I should be fine with it for a while. I got into iracing just to give me something to do during the long winters, and maybe scratch an old racing itch. Sure scratched it alright. lol

Was real lucky that both my parents came from racing families. I ran 250cc micro sprints and 4cly mustangs from age 12-17, then found out about girls, parties and causing trouble. I'd like to get back into it if I ever move back to the lower 48.

People get pretty upset when folks call Iracing a video game lol. They refer to it as a "Racing Simulator"
It's different than any video game you've ever played. I have a fairly basic set up, but it's freaking wild. If I'm going into a corner and I start to lose traction even a little bit, I feel it in my wheel. Forced feedback they call it. The big money guys are running direct drive steering (starts out at like $1,400.) My forced feedback setup was $300. Besides upgrading the pedals, I should be fine with it for a while. I got into iracing just to give me something to do during the long winters, and maybe scratch an old racing itch. Sure scratched it alright. lol
I once had a cheap wheel and pedal setup for PS3, for the Formula 1 and Gran Turismo games. Since watching that first F1 sim a few weeks ago with the real F1 drivers, i've been thinking about getting another setup, but with much higher-end pieces. I did a bunch of research on the different types of force feedback, and all the wheels and pedals—it's quite involved. Interesting stuff, the 3 monitor setup versus the Oculus VR device. I'm sure i'll do this at some point, but right now with all my biz canceled by the virus, i'm stuck just watching.

I once had a cheap wheel and pedal setup for PS3, for the Formula 1 and Gran Turismo games. Since watching that first F1 sim a few weeks ago with the real F1 drivers, i've been thinking about getting another setup, but with much higher-end pieces. I did a bunch of research on the different types of force feedback, and all the wheels and pedals—it's quite involved. Interesting stuff, the 3 monitor setup versus the Oculus VR device. I'm sure i'll do this at some point, but right now with all my biz canceled by the virus, i'm stuck just watching.

I went with the Thrustmaster TMX pro, was able to grab it right at Gamestop. Have had it for almost two years. It's been fantastic as a starter set up, and even as I've progressed I'm still happy with it. Unless it stops working, I'll probably just upgrade the pedals, (want to go inverted) and stick with what I have. I'll get that direct drive someday, but it can wait a while. Pretty sure triple screens is my next move, but prolly not until winter. My iracing time decreases a ton in the summer months. Until the triples happen, I'll stick with my 32in monitor, and looking into "trackIR". (just learned about that, it's basically a poor man's VR).

I'd say, unless money isn't an option, start out small- Make sure it's something you really enjoy and want to invest in. The game itself is a little spendy too. $13/month I think, then you need to purchase vehicles and tracks overtime (comes with a few). I spent the first year and a half with my wheel hooked to my work laptop lol. Finally pulled the trigger on a gaming desktop in early March. Getting ready to start a cockpit build here soon.
We can prolly take this to PMs, so we don't derail the thread lol. Happy to answer any questions, give any advice, and would love to see ya on the track!!

Finished first season of GoT and it’s entertaining. Very graphic on both fronts. Hard to follow characters names still. And by god do I want to see all the Lannister’s dead.

Gotta wait to get the second season, will look at Netflix and D+ and see what else is out. I don’t think I’m gonna go to season 2 of The Rain, might try outer banks as someone said it’s a new age Goonies. Still have to watch Dracula on Netflix as well.
We're 4 episodes in to Outer Banks. We like it, it's fun. Also feels like a lot happens pretty quickly. I like slow burn tv, but this one cooks.

Finished first season of GoT and it’s entertaining. Very graphic on both fronts. Hard to follow characters names still. And by god do I want to see all the Lannister’s dead.

Gotta wait to get the second season, will look at Netflix and D+ and see what else is out. I don’t think I’m gonna go to season 2 of The Rain, might try outer banks as someone said it’s a new age Goonies. Still have to watch Dracula on Netflix as well.
GoT would be near the top of my all time list.

If you're not hooked by the end of season 1, episode 3 of Killing Eve, then check your pulse.

Jodie Comer kills it in this role. KILLS it. (and of course, kills people).

I’m watching “The Last O.G.” now. Can’t handle anymore dark shows at the moment, with life being so dark. Needed something lighter.
We never watched New Girl when it was airing, but have started getting into it and really like the humor in it.

I’m watching “The Last O.G.” now. Can’t handle anymore dark shows at the moment, with life being so dark. Needed something lighter.

I would say this is my favorite TV discovery in the last year. Which is surprising. Simultaneously hilarious, well-acted, and touching.

I would say this is my favorite TV discovery in the last year. Which is surprising. Simultaneously hilarious, well-acted, and touching.

JB Smoove dating Tracy’s mom and talking down to Tracy when in real life they’re basically the same age is cracking me up way more than it should.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, AMC’s Turn: Washington Spies.
I just got Netflix and am now re-watching it. Only 4 seasons, 40 episodes. Love it. Interesting, informative, and fairly bloody. Based on true story. Very well done.

Having just binge-watched Breaking Bad, my wife and I have decided to watch, no not Better Call Saul, but one of the first series to utilize story arcs--Wiseguy. On Amazon Prime, and featuring Jonathan Banks, who played Mike on BB. We think he's Da Bomb.

Working on The Plot Against America right now. It's good but miserable considering how things are these days.

Been watching Upload (If you have money, you can pay for a service that preserves your consciousness in an artificial "heaven" when you die; but that corporate-funded heaven isn't quite the escape from Earth many hoped for). Think of Black Mirror, but with a vastly more light-hearted approach to the near future (almost Kimmy Schmidt-like). Lots of good gags.

Amazon.

Been watching Upload (If you have money, you can pay for a service that preserves your consciousness in an artificial "heaven" when you die; but that corporate-funded heaven isn't quite the escape from Earth many hoped for). Think of Black Mirror, but with a vastly more light-hearted approach to the near future (almost Kimmy Schmidt-like). Lots of good gags.

Amazon.

That's next on my list after I finish Dave

Finished ozark. It’s good, not great. Think next season will pick up. Definitely not better than BB or better call saul for me.

Amazon.
We liked it a lot. It's already been renewed for a second season, too.

Anyone watch Into The Night on Netflix?
Any good?

Still stuck on like episode 5 of lost in space should I continue it? Convince me...go.
I quit on that show ... tried hard .. but it’s for kids ...