I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

I forgot about Winning Time. It seems around the same time that started, the Lakers documentary also came out. I definitely prefer Docs, when it comes to sports so I watched that.

I should check out Winning Time though.
Its really solid. A bit strange but solid.

I only started watching Winning Time (season 1) just last week.

I think i ignored it because i didn't used to like sports shows, and even worse, sports shows with actors portraying iconic figures. Also, the previews/commercials made it look like the wrong kind of cheesy.

But, i started it and now i'm semi-binging it. It is cartoonish, and bombastic in how they amplify every character's traits and personality flaws, etc. But, since that seems to be almost universally applied, it's almost entertaining how they shred just about everyone.

And as for the actors portraying people we've 'known' for decades... I'm at the point where i see the Magic character and i now struggle to remember what the real Magic looks like.

I also started re-re-re-re-re-re-re-watching The Wire. Not sure how many times i've seen it through and through. I wasn't sure i'd be ready to do it again, but i'm mostly back into it. I don't know if i'll skip certain seasons this time, though.

The finale of Righteous Gemstones was just dumb. Looking forward to whatever Danny and Walton do next, but that show just didn't work so well after the first season. Danny McBride's shows tend to launch like gangbusters and then get stupid a season or two before they're done. Maybe Vice Principals was better at the conclusion? I don't remember how that finished...
Huh, I actually think the exact opposite when it comes to McBride’s shows. I think they get progressively better, with the exception being the 4th season of Eastbound and Down. But that season wasn’t even in their plans. Originally the 3rd was supposed to be the end. They just made it because HBO told them if they did then they would green light Vice Principals.

I thought this season of the Gemstones was the best. I was consistently busting out in laughter every week. And I loved the storylines, although I do agree the ending left a lot to be desired.

Imo:
EBAD season 3 > 2 > 1 > 4
VP season 2 > 1
RG season 3 > 2 > 1

Huh, I actually think the exact opposite when it comes to McBride’s shows. I think they get progressively better, with the exception being the 4th season of Eastbound and Down. But that season wasn’t even in their plans. Originally the 3rd was supposed to be the end. They just made it because HBO told them if they did then they would green light Vice Principals.

I thought this season of the Gemstones was the best. I was consistently busting out in laughter every week. And I loved the storylines, although I do agree the ending left a lot to be desired.

Imo:
VP season 2 > 1
RG season 3 > 2 > 1

Loved RG season 3, especially the finale.

Using
Dolly Parton’s cover of “Shine” during the last scene and how that was all shot
was great.

Imo:
VP season 2 > 1
RG season 3 > 2 > 1
I'm the opposite on most of this:
EBAD 1 > 2 > 3 > 4
VP: don't remember. You're probably right, 2 > 1
RG > 1 = 2 > 3

The Horror of Dolores Roach on Prime is entertaining. Some interesting guest actors, including Cyndi Lauper. But the real star is...empanadas.

The Horror of Dolores Roach on Prime is entertaining. Some interesting guest actors, including Cyndi Lauper. But the real star is...empanadas.

I might need to check this out.

Funny that we can both love Wes Anderson films and Danny McBride shows, but have almost opposite opinions about them.
Yup. That's 'art' for ya.

Might be interesting for us to compare our top ten film and tv show lists.

being summer last week the wife and i watched 3 kids on summer break movies . all misunderstood by their parents and taken in by their pseudo summer mentors .
ADVERTURELAND, WAY WAY BACK, and of course MEATBALLS. all are fun films to watch. curious as to how people here would STACK them up ...
hqdefault.jpg

SPAZ ,SPAZ,SPAZ,....

being summer last week the wife and i watched 3 kids on summer break movies . all misunderstood by their parents and taken in by their pseudo summer mentors .
ADVERTURELAND, WAY WAY BACK, and of course MEATBALLS. all are fun films to watch. curious as to how people here would STACK them up ...View attachment 230336

SPAZ ,SPAZ,SPAZ,...
The Way Way Back is a great movie. Highly recommend it. It captures that age when you don't fully feel content in the world you're in but don't understand the possibilities in or outside of it well either.

Reservation Dogs is worth your time.

I didn't catch this when it first came out, but watched the first two seasons over the summer and enjoyed it tremendously. Terrific show.

Third [and final] season debuted in August, and episode 7 just dropped today. Hard to believe that there are only 3 episodes left before this series concludes.

Very entertaining show, and the episodes are relatively short [under 30 minutes], so you can binge it quickly.

The first season is focused primarily on a group of teenagers, dealing with a tragedy and the disaffected boredom of living in their dead end rez town [Okern, Oklahoma]. In the second season, the primary focus shifts away from the teenagers to the highly interesting peripheral characters around them.

That shift is also present [with a couple of cool twists] in season 3. But it isn't doing the teens who were the initial focus a disservice -- it's because the other characters are so interesting. Great acting, too.

Will be sad to see this series end.

HBO hits more than it misses. If you pick a random series on HBOGo, the odds are you will land on something good. Here are some that I haven't seen mentioned:

Boardwalk Empire - it's not the Sopranos, but nothing is

Deadwood - you have to pay me to watch westerns, but this
is great

In Treatment - enjoy the emotional pain of others

Curb Your Enthusiasm - legendary

Entourage - meathead drama at its best

Rome - Game of Thrones without the white walkers; much of it actually happened

Bored to Death - made me love Ted Danson again

Family Tree - if you like Christopher Guest mockumemtaries (e.g., Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, This is Spinal Tap); a tragedy that it only got one season

Netflix

Bloodline - it's just good

Narcos - organized crime is so good when it's done well

Derek - The Office spiked with sentimentality

Freaks and Geeks - a tragedy that it only got one season

Arrested Development - you'll never settle for mediocre sitcoms (e.g., The Big Bang Theory) after watching this

The Gilmore Girls - I didn't want to like this, but I'm a sucker for wit

The Twilight Zone - you don't have to wait for the New Year's marathon on SyFy
I have seen only the first season of Deadwood on any of these shows.

Winning Time is awesome. John C. Reilly, Jason Segel, and Adrien Brody are fantastic, and the very unflattering and over-the-top portrayal of Jerry West is hilarious.

Kenneth Branagh's Murder On The Orient Express is beautifully filmed and well executed remake of Agatha Christie's classic.

An Inspector Calls a BBC remake is one of my favorite movie adaptations of a play.

Anyone remember “Playmakers” on ESPN, that the NFL forced ESPN to shut down? It ran for 1 season in 2003.

I loved that show at the time. Would love to see it again and see if it was as good as I remember.

I watched the whole thing and by the time I finally got used to how they talk the show ended. Lol.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is possibly the funniest show of all time, in my opinion. When it’s on, it’s ON.

Boardwalk Empire - his description was pretty good. It’s not the Sopranos. Felt like it could’ve been better. Some highly distributing storylines that seemed unnecessary. But it was pretty good overall, and had its great moments.

Arrested Development- I’m a big fan. Highly underrated to me.

I could not get into Entourage - his description of that was perfect too. I just don’t like meathead stuff.

Most of the rest I haven’t seen, though I still plan on watching Deadwood at some point.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is possibly the funniest show of all time, in my opinion. When it’s on, it’s ON.

Boardwalk Empire - his description was pretty good. It’s not the Sopranos. Felt like it could’ve been better. Some highly distributing storylines that seemed unnecessary. But it was pretty good overall, and had its great moments.

Arrested Development- I’m a big fan. Highly underrated to me.

I could not get into Entourage - his description of that was perfect too. I just don’t like meathead stuff.

Most of the rest I haven’t seen, though I still plan on watching Deadwood at some point.
Ha. That show gave me anxiety that I've never had watching television before. Some really messed up stuff that just felt a liiiitle too real sometimes. When the James and Gillian stuff doesn't even feel THAT bad to me, you know it can get real dark.

I still really liked it though and plan on watching again after football. I think the ending is one of the best I've ever seen. And Richard Harrow is an all-time character, in my opinion. Just about perfect.