I'm not even sure Brissett could get drafted. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm not even sure Brissett could get drafted.

He plays much smaller than he actually is.

He has a very low and slow release on his layup attempts . He needs to start his shot attempt from a higher point instead of making himself small

This is the kind of crap you get away with in Canadian high school ball that makes you look sweeter than you are

I think he’d elevate his stock more by showing he can pass, than by scoring even 25 ppg. They know he can score and possibly defend. He hasn’t shown he can do anything else. In fact he’s shown that he CANT pass to this point. He’s gotta start making plays for others when he drives, when it’s the right play to make.

Even just a positive a/to ratio would help.

You're very sensitive right now. It's called hyperbole and I used it to make a point on Brissett. Tyus is a projected 2nd Round Pick and has work to do to make sure he doesn't drop out of the Draft altogether. Do with that what you will.

Here’s what I’ll do with your meandering contradictions: Kid drops 37 with no help - literally, no other offensive threat - and you complain about him, saying he’s not getting drafted. This wasn’t about Brisset.

has regressed and is barely even a rebounding presence anymore - look at some of those FSU o-rebounds in the 1st half

im glad someone else mentioned his rb. Very dissappointing to me.

I think he’d elevate his stock more by showing he can pass, than by scoring even 25 ppg. They know he can score and possibly defend. He hasn’t shown he can do anything else. In fact he’s shown that he CANT pass to this point. He’s gotta start making plays for others when he drives, when it’s the right play to make.
He made a fabulous pass to Bris that should have resulted in the game winner. JB has told him to take over. Who should he pass to? Nobody other than Frank can make a shot. This is the worst offensive team in Syracuse history.

You do realize he is allowed to pass the ball and get it back ? They were doing BETTER without Howard because they were moving the ball much more effectively initially . Then for some reason battle forgot he had 4 other people on the team . I’m not expecting the others to score and finish , but they should touch the ball and facilitate easier shots .. which they WERE doing for the initial period after Howard fouled out

Pass the ball and get it back...so he can expend that much more energy in 50 minutes of playing to try to get open when a defender has much more leeway? Why do you think that’s plausible or what do you think he’ll get easier shots when the scouting report on our next legitimate threat says “let him shoot away from the basket.”?

Statements like that seem great on paper and a junior clinic. I get that. But look at this team...

He made a fabulous pass to Bris that should have resulted in the game winner. JB has told him to take over. Who should he pass to? Nobody other than Frank can make a shot. This is the worst offensive team in Syracuse history.

The 1 on 2 “fast break” with Washington wide open for a 3...cmon. You can carry the load and shoot/score a lot without being a complete gunner.

Pass the ball and get it back...so he can expend that much more energy in 50 minutes of playing to try to get open when a defender has much more leeway? Why do you think that’s plausible or what do you think he’ll get easier shots when the scouting report on our next legitimate threat says “let him shoot away from the basket.”?

Statements like that seem great on paper and a junior clinic. I get that. But look at this team...[/QUOTE

I have no words for this ignorance.

Is this player hating or just random left field thoughts. Not even sure what to make of this.

Will there be a Marek couldn't even get on a Euro team follow up?
I love every guy that puts on that uniform. It's more of a reaction to the inability to build a team in this day and age because the NBA drafts " good "...not "great"... college underclassmen very high. Ewing,Coleman,Mullin,etc. played 4 years in college. McCullough, Malachi,Ennis are one and done... Lydon plays 2 years. It's a joke. The kids ALL made the right choice to leave. Some may even carve out a decent NBA career on a bench somewhere but it is ruining the college game and that sucks for us.

Spoken from a man that can not properly format a reply. LOL.

Play the game, son. The entire offense is predicated on the movement of two people. It’s why we had three assists over 40 minutes at UVA. Expecting a different behavior when Howard goes out? Perhaps that is ignorance at its most defined...

I love every guy that puts on that uniform. It's more of a reaction to the inability to build a team in this day and age because the NBA drafts " good "...not "great"... college underclassmen very high. Ewing,Coleman,Mullin,etc. played 4 years in college. McCullough, Malachi,Ennis are one and done... Lydon plays 2 years. It's a joke. The kids ALL made the right choice to leave. Some may even carve out a decent NBA career on a bench somewhere but it is ruining the college game and that sucks for us.

That’s true, it has changed college basketball for the worse. It barely resembles the sport from the 80s.

I’m kinda surprised that JB wants to keep going. Too much love of coaching the sport I guess. But it has to be so frustrating that you can barely develop a team these days with early defections, or crazy moms (TT).

That’s true, it has changed college basketball for the worse. It barely resembles the sport from the 80s.

I’m kinda surprised that JB wants to keep going. Too much love of coaching the sport I guess. But it has to be so frustrating that you can barely develop a team these days with early defections, or crazy moms (TT).
Honest question, when you see him in recent years with the media and his current players do you see a guy who has too much love for coaching? The happiest i see him in recent years is when he is doing charity stuff with Julie and when he is with high profile ex players

The sentiment swings so wide each game, but some fairly static data points here

Battle - he's going to go to the combine, and you know he's gone if he is sniffing first round. It's very difficult to evaluate him because of the lack of supporting cast. Would he pass, rebound, force things less, etc with better teammates? No one knows, or will ever know with this team. But what's 100% true is sophomore guards rarely benefit from staying another year. He's only going to stay if the NBA teams tell him to stay another year, and even then he may try something else like playing overseas

Brissett - seems like a perfect candidate to elevate his stock by staying another year. He can work on his handle, his shooting, his finishing. The potential is there to be mid-1st rounder. Why not roll the dice with the team next year? Even if he still averages 15/9 next year again, he can do it in a much more efficient way. This will all likely be a moot point because I don't see him making any mock draft boards anyway.

Frank being drafted ahead of Battle is Charles Manson-loony crazy.

Why? He's a better passer than Battle, better handle than Battle, better shooter than Battle and better rebounder than him.

Don't think it's that looney.

Why? He's a better passer than Battle, better handle than Battle, better shooter than Battle and better rebounder than him.

Don't think it's that looney.

One way to answer this is that as a sophomore Frank Howard couldn’t beat out 5’3” John Gillon to start at the top of the zone. Battle is getting hammered for his performance this year, mostly unfairly, but Howard lost his starting job to a defense-impaired little person when he was a sophomore.

Howard has turned himself into a decent acc-level player. But battle is more talented, has a way higher ceiling, and despite all the negativity is probably a better player right now than Frank. They are both having good years in light of the circumstances.

I think some of them have hit the wall, and some may have been playing over their heads. I wish JB would have been playing Washington (and Geno before him) more than he did, just because it's a long season. You can't ask guys to play 40 minutes for 25-30 games a season. They may be young, but they're not indestructible. A season wears on a player.
I have brought this up to several idiots morons and yes men in the media and they all disagree and so does Jim

He has a very low and slow release on his layup attempts . He needs to start his shot attempt from a higher point instead of making himself small

This is the kind of crap you get away with in Canadian high school ball that makes you look sweeter than you are
Strong point

One way to answer this is that as a sophomore Frank Howard couldn’t beat out 5’3” John Gillon to start at the top of the zone. Battle is getting hammered for his performance this year, mostly unfairly, but Howard lost his starting job to a defense-impaired little person when he was a sophomore.

Howard has turned himself into a decent acc-level player. But battle is more talented, has a way higher ceiling, and despite all the negativity is probably a better player right now than Frank. They are both having good years in light of the circumstances.

Playing devils advocate and not saying I agree with my comment but Gillon was also a veteran, out highest pick since 2013 couldn't beat out Brandon Triche for a starting spot and it is possible for players to improve which we've seen Howard do.

Battle may be more talented or he might not be, we spread the floor very well for him last year and won't say we made it easy for him but he was set up for success on the offensive end.

Outside of ppg Battle isn't doing much of anything well on the stat sheet.

Playing devils advocate and not saying I agree with my comment but Gillon was also a veteran, out highest pick since 2013 couldn't beat out Brandon Triche for a starting spot and it is possible for players to improve which we've seen Howard do.

Battle may be more talented or he might not be, we spread the floor very well for him last year and won't say we made it easy for him but he was set up for success on the offensive end.

Outside of ppg Battle isn't doing much of anything well on the stat sheet.
That and Howard was injured for the most of the 2nd half of last season to the point where he needed surgery in the spring. I think Battle is probably still the most athletic player SU has on the court and he can certainly get by defenders. But like you said, he isn't doing a whole lot of other things. Trae Young, top-3 pick likely, is averaging more shots per game than Battle, but putting up ~10 apg plus more rebounds and as many steals. If you look at the other FR and SO guards who get a similar usage, Tyus is middle of the pack and generally doesn't stand out in terms of PER, O-rating, WS, etc.

Right now? Absolutely not. His game is very limited and this recent stretch for him doesn't give the benefit of the doubt anymore that he had in the non-conference. His game is very, very limited. Doesn't have the dribbling ability to get by his man, can't shoot from the mid or long range, doesn't finish at the basket well and his awareness doesn't exist at times. I don't buy it when people here say, "he should be in a CJ Fair type role" or "he's only a freshman." There are freshman across the country and in this conference who are making the most of the minutes they get; Oshae hasn't done that in about a month and when's he's not contributing, he hurts the team in multiple ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom