I'm somewhat encouraged | Syracusefan.com

I'm somewhat encouraged

DPCuse

Starter
By far the weak point of our team the first four games was our defense. The D looked great last week even with all the injuries. I think they are finally starting to gel and get healthy.

I'm not going to count out the offense because of one awful game. I don't see Bailey fumbling twice as a problem with the scheme and even that one interception on the goal line in the 3rd was a bit of a flukey play.

Special teams was a huge issue but give Rutgers credit, they were a top notch special teams squad.

With Tulane coming up, we should be 4-2 going in to the bye week in which we'll be able to get healthy and iron out any kinks for the remaining stretch run. By no means will we run the table but I see us finishing 7-5 and getting to another bowl game. If we can get a bounce or two go our way we could potentially hit 8 wins. All in all, I think that would be a success coming off of last year.

By far the weak point of our team the first four games was our defense. The D looked great last week even with all the injuries. I think they are finally starting to gel and get healthy.

I'm not going to count out the offense because of one awful game. I don't see Bailey fumbling twice as a problem with the scheme and even that one interception on the goal line in the 3rd was a bit of a flukey play.

Special teams was a huge issue but give Rutgers credit, they were a top notch special teams squad.

With Tulane coming up, we should be 4-2 going in to the bye week in which we'll be able to get healthy and iron out any kinks for the remaining stretch run. By no means will we run the table but I see us finishing 7-5 and getting to another bowl game. If we can get a bounce or two go our way we could potentially hit 8 wins. All in all, I think that would be a success coming off of last year.

I have to agree with this. My biggest concern going into the Rutgers game was the paltry defense to this point. Despite the offensive meltdown, the defense showed some big playmaking ability (except Thomas' dropped INT) and with the impending return of Sharmarko, Fisher this week and hopefully Chandler also, I think we're going to see a very good defense by the end of the year.

I have to agree with this. My biggest concern going into the Rutgers game was the paltry defense to this point. Despite the offensive meltdown, the defense showed some big playmaking ability (except Thomas' dropped INT) and with the impending return of Sharmarko, Fisher this week and hopefully Chandler also, I think we're going to see a very good defense by the end of the year.

I thought Thomas played a very good game and maybe it's a pet peeve but seeing a lot of posters mention the drop but not giving him some credit for how well he played overall kind of bugs me.

I thought Thomas played a very good game and maybe it's a pet peeve but seeing a lot of posters mention the drop but not giving him some credit for how well he played overall kind of bugs me.

Oh I unquestionably agree. He played a really nice game -- the whole D did. But you also can't overlook a play that would have ended the game. That was an easy pick 6.

Oh I unquestionably agree. He played a really nice game -- the whole D did. But you also can't overlook a play that would have ended the game. That was an easy pick 6.
He played a good game, but it is difficult to over look that dropped pick-6. It's like a receiver having 10 catches, 150 yards but dropping the wide-open game-winning TD pass. Hard to overlook that.

No doubt...that pick 6 has to be made...period. It's discipline or lack thereof and focus. And, for a team whose coach stresses discipline so much, there sure seems to be numerous missed opportunities. I recall, there were several missed tackles in that game in which we didn't wrap the guy up...it is so frustrating to watch these players just throw their bodies into the guy thinking that's enough to bring them down, when more times then not, they just bounce off for extra yards, etc.

I agree the drop hurt no doubt but I guess I just wanted the kid to get some credit for a lot of the good things he did from his adoring fans as well! I think his tackling technique has improved each game.

Throw in the RI game and 75% of the Wake regulation and you have over 50% of the season so far - the offense is a very big concern at this point.

Nice Post. I share your thoughts and outlook. Let's hope it plays out...

Throw in the RI game and 75% of the Wake regulation and you have over 50% of the season so far - the offense is a very big concern at this point.
I'm glad somebody said it.

had thomas not dropped his INT and NOT caught the other one we probably score 3 tds on D, the one he caught falling down we had another LB sitting and waiting to run it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom