Ima do this | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ima do this

I agree 100%. We have to remember though, we saw as much bad, as we saw good from him as a Freshman. Not that there is anything wrong with a Freshman playing like a Freshman. The good we saw perhaps stayed in the front of our minds, as much of it came in some clutch situations. People should also remember that TD did those things behind a much more competent o-line than was available to him for 74% of last year.
We saw our line begin to gel last year, and open up the running game a bit. If they can continue to improve, and keep opening holes for backs, and stay in the top half of the country in sacks allowed, and TD develops some pocket awareness (this is the part I'm most unsure of), you will see what TD is capable of.

Yep. I think his pocket awareness is his biggest area of weakness after last year. I did think he took off and had a better clock the 2nd 1/2 of the year, but it needs to improve.

I hope everyone on the site wants TD to be exceptional next year. I personally would like him to be an all American. However, I do think it is reasonable to point out that TD has things to improve in his game. I am hoping that through Gilbert’s guidance he can be one of the best qbs in the acc. However I also feel it’s reasonable to believe that if he struggles and we cannot win games that Gilbert and HCDB will not hesitate to look at other options.

I hope everyone on the site wants TD to be exceptional next year. I personally would like him to be an all American. However, I do think it is reasonable to point out that TD has things to improve in his game. I am hoping that through Gilbert’s guidance he can be one of the best qbs in the acc. However I also feel it’s reasonable to believe that if he struggles and we cannot win games that Gilbert and HCDB will not hesitate to look at other options.

Well yeah, sure. They'll look.

But - the odds of those "other options" somehow magically being better than TD are pretty low.
It's Rex, 2 RS-Frosh, and 3 actual Frosh.

So, while I'm a HUGE Rex fan and I think he's an inspiration, I do not think he's a threat to supplant Tommy, barring injury.
And all the other guys - yeah, nah. Not gonna happen.

Not sure I would automatically discount any of the players coming in. I know they were not heavily recruited, but either was ED. You never know how someone is going to play until they step on campus.

Its as much about the playbook as it is about physical skills. I don't see any freshman as being able to come in, get a good grip on the playbook, and be physically ready to supplant TD. Not happening.

So our pitch to a Qb based on last year would be ...
Come play with a second year play caller
A Qb coach with no experience playing or coaching
Small WRs
Statistically worst O line in the country
When we max protest we still couldn’t stop the rush so with no time still you have your 3 WRs vs 7/8 defenders ( good luck )
And with that you would think the run game would work ? Think again !
And your D couldn’t stop the run leading to slumped shoulders , and no return game .
So how many QBs would sign up for that ?
Am I off on anything?
As for TD he took this role and took a beating
And played with a rib injury that any of us would have been on the IR or laid curled up in bed hoping not to cough or sneeze .
I expect the line to be middle of the pack
Sterling should be a huge improvement
And TD battle tested and experienced
With his skill set give him middle of the road help and he should shine . What he had last year was simply the worst of the worst of just about everything. Can you name a Qb who had it so bad ?

Not sure I would automatically discount any of the players coming in. I know they were not heavily recruited, but either was ED. You never know how someone is going to play until they step on campus.

ED didn't supplant Hunt his first year, he got the job through injury. And Hunt isn't TD.

1. TD has things to work on, 100%. We said this about Eric in his senior year. So I'm not sure why this is such a demerit.
2. TD had as good a year as Nassib and ED in similar points in their careers.
3. Did TD hold the ball too long and take too many sacks? Maybe. But both the line and his pocket awareness got better late.
4. Did he throw the ball away too much? Maybe. But only 5 INT with the amount of throws he had is really solid.

I think it's crazy talk to think he loses his job at any point this offseason or during the 2020 season - based on the promise he showed this year.

The argument for him losing his spot is like "stats don't matter man and he was a 4* and he should play better" ... Don't find it compelling

ED didn't supplant Hunt his first year, he got the job through injury. And Hunt isn't TD.

1. TD has things to work on, 100%. We said this about Eric in his senior year. So I'm not sure why this is such a demerit.
2. TD had as good a year as Nassib and ED in similar points in their careers.
3. Did TD hold the ball too long and take too many sacks? Maybe. But both the line and his pocket awareness got better late.
4. Did he throw the ball away too much? Maybe. But only 5 INT with the amount of throws he had is really solid.

I think it's crazy talk to think he loses his job at any point this offseason or during the 2020 season - based on the promise he showed this year.

The argument for him losing his spot is like "stats don't matter man and he was a 4* and he should play better" ... Don't find it compelling
Had no time to hold the ball and if he did was because of 7/8 defenders in coverage vs 3 of us . Lead to throw aways as well

I think we gotta face it. TD did not show himself to be a 4 star player last year. Of course his stats are up compared to the competition ...he plays in a high flying offense ...it doesn't mean he is untouchable.

His mobility was low. His ability to find an open receiver in a timely fashion was low--even when given some time. His feel for the pocket was subpar, and he was taken down too easily on the run. He has an elite arm and great accuracy when he releases ...there's no doubt about that. But those issues I just mentioned were somewhat evident in his freshman year and we saw it exasperated when he came into a starting role.

On the positive side:
1) Maybe, like many said, no one can unseat him even if TD doesn't improve. There's no QB behind him who has had a great amount of time learning the offense
2) TD did improve on his pocket issues as the season wore on ...he learned to be more decisive to tuck and run
3) His offensive line did not help him last year (at all) but the line did greatly improve, and hope it will be more of a strength of this team this year
4) TD has had another offseason to improve and work on his game, and I highly expect we will continue to see great improvement from him

So our pitch to a Qb based on last year would be ...
Come play with a second year play caller
A Qb coach with no experience playing or coaching
Small WRs
Statistically worst O line in the country
When we max protest we still couldn’t stop the rush so with no time still you have your 3 WRs vs 7/8 defenders ( good luck )
And with that you would think the run game would work ? Think again !
And your D couldn’t stop the run leading to slumped shoulders , and no return game .
So how many QBs would sign up for that ?
Am I off on anything?
As for TD he took this role and took a beating
And played with a rib injury that any of us would have been on the IR or laid curled up in bed hoping not to cough or sneeze .
I expect the line to be middle of the pack
Sterling should be a huge improvement
And TD battle tested and experienced
With his skill set give him middle of the road help and he should shine . What he had last year was simply the worst of the worst of just about everything. Can you name a Qb who had it so bad ?
It wasn't a rib injury.

Yeah, of course. I think you're right that people are blinded by things - but I think it's preseason expectations not post-season stats.

Who are you taking over him in the ACC last year? My top 5:

1. Trevor Lawrence
2. Sam Howell
3. Bryce Perkins
4. Tommy DeVito
5. Jamien Newman

And my comps to Syracuse QB's were more recent in ED and Nassib. Both of which had pretty flawed, yet promising sophomore years. TD will be fine with more reps, better blocking, and an improved OC/QB coaching situation. I don't think he should be at all worried about a true freshman QB.
I don't watch other teams well enough to rank the qbs in the league. Really, I don't care where TD ranks. I also don't care whether he needs to worry about any other qb taking his spot, althougn I wish there was someone on the roster that could push him. All I care about is whether he can execute what he needs to to run the offense. Last year leaves me with concerns, not all of which can be explained by our obviously porous oline. We'll see this year whether they are things he can correct, or if they are innate traits that will define who is as a player.

I don't watch other teams well enough to rank the qbs in the league. Really, I don't care where TD ranks. I also don't care whether he needs to worry about any other qb taking his spot, althougn I wish there was someone on the roster that could push him. All I care about is whether he can execute what he needs to to run the offense. Last year leaves me with concerns, not all of which can be explained by our obviously porous oline. We'll see this year whether they are things he can correct, or if they are innate traits that will define who is as a player.

This is a weird take. If you're judging him, it's probably best to look at as much data as you can, plus the eye test, plus the question you outlined. I'm not sold 100% - he's got issues. But the questions were basically "will he lose his job to a true freshman" and "can he lose his job this season" and I don't see it.

This is a weird take. If you're judging him, it's probably best to look at as much data as you can, plus the eye test, plus the question you outlined. I'm not sold 100% - he's got issues. But the questions were basically "will he lose his job to a true freshman" and "can he lose his job this season" and I don't see it.
I wasn't responding to that question, despite it being a question someone else asked. I originally responded to your post using his stats as evidence for how good he was last year by saying you have to look beyond the numbers. You then expanded it beyond that. If you only care about the question whether or not he could be replaced, why did you mention other qbs in the league?

I’ll have what he’s having.

1583002294400.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom