Ima do this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ima do this

I have read in these threads from historically informed posters that it will take some time realistically for the team to learn the new defense and be effective. I also think while there was some season ending growth on the oline that they are by no means a certainty and it's reasonable to expect some fluctuations in their performance as they adjust to new teammates and expectations from a new OC. I think we all hope TD continues to grow in his role as leader and starting QB. It will be critical for some team leaders to step forward from Spring practice on this year, a gap we had last year. I think if everything falls positive 7 to 8 wins is achievable. Everything falling positive is the question and I am not sure if we should reasonably expect it. Lots of "if's". I think this will be another learning/adjusting year. I am more than happy to be wrong on this by the way. I think the 2021 season will be our next big year.

I'm not Tomcat, nor do I play him on the internet, but not sure who you can bench Devito for, unless the young guys develop a lot faster than expected.
Haha! If you ever have a choice, always be yourself.

Anyway, I think the same could have been said of our QB bench last year when Clayton Welch was sitting. But Clayton came in and played very effectively. Much more flow in the offense.
I'm hoping it won't even be an issue with Tommy though. Maybe Sterlin gets him on the right path

I'm not Tomcat, nor do I play him on the internet, but not sure who you can bench Devito for, unless the young guys develop a lot faster than expected.
I suppose that is part of the question. If his play warrants benching and there is noone good enough to bring in, we'll have a lot of trouble.

I hope devito continues to develop and plays well. That being said I do not think HCDB or Gilbert will hesitate to make a change if he continues to struggle. There were teams last year that started true freshman that played well. It was not that long ago we had a true freshman put into the starting role based on injury. Time will tell.

I hope devito continues to develop and plays well. That being said I do not think HCDB or Gilbert will hesitate to make a change if he continues to struggle. There were teams last year that started true freshman that played well. It was not that long ago we had a true freshman put into the starting role based on injury. Time will tell.
"Continues to struggle" is an interesting way to frame it. Did he live up to our expectations last season? No, but with no OL until the last few games (and after he was already injured) he still threw for 2300 yards, 19 TDs, and only 5 picks.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that he gets benched this year unless he gets injured again.

I agree if there’s bad stretches and a big sized kid like the freshman Texan QB knows the playbook well enough .... I say send em in. By this year TD needs to tell us if he is our undisputed QB

I agree if there’s bad stretches and a big sized kid like the freshman Texan QB knows the playbook well enough ... I say send em in. By this year TD needs to tell us if he is our undisputed QB
TD is our undisputed QB, the fact we're even discussing if a kid who didn't have any D1 offers can unseat him is absolutely ridiculous.

TD is our undisputed QB, the fact we're even discussing if a kid who didn't have any D1 offers can unseat him is absolutely ridiculous.
My point is there were stretches this past year where I know I (and many other fans) wanted to see a different QB on the field and it just could not happen because our backups were significantly worse (yes Welch played against some teams but he was a RS SR PWO IIRC) .

If chance Amie was on last years team for example (a young and physically ready QB) then the whole board would’ve been begging for him to go in during many games last year.

That’s my point - he still has A LOT to prove to us in terms of being the head man for the next two years 100%.

The legend Eric Dungey literally had much of the fan base wanting the younger TD to come in and play during a stretch where he played below par.

So if TD plays with the poor pocket presence that he did last year and the offense is not humming as it should... then yeah the kid who has no other offers, but is 6’4 200+ and threw the ball all over the field his senior year should be put in if he is the true back up QB.

As others have stated I saw so many freshman QB well outperforming ours last year. I could care less about their offers it’s just a fact, if someone’s not performing then we need to move on to the next.

long post lol but essentially I hope we never see anyone but TD this year, but to say he can’t be overthrown by a freshman is ridiculous because I have seen it elsewhere.

What the fans want and what really happens are two different things. TD will play every snap he is healthy enough to play unless we are blowing a team out big.

What the fans want and what really happens are two different things. TD will play every snap he is healthy enough to play unless we are blowing a team out big.
Not sure I would go all in on that statement. I think everyone on this forum wants TD to develop into one of the best qbs in college football.
However as many people indicated previously he has had difficulty in certain areas that cannot be placed solely on poor line play.
I am hoping that Gilbert and HCDB is able to work with TD and make the needed corrections and he excels. Every person on here wants su to win. However that is why if TD struggles next year HCDB and Gilbert will look at other possible options.

I think this is true.

Last year at this point, many on the board appeared to have completely unrealistic expectations for Tommy for 2019. Many thought he would do considerable better than Eric did his senior season, right out of the gate.

Now a lot of people have overreacted the other way and think the inexperienced backups might beat him out.

Put me in the camp that thinks Tommy will start unless he gets hurt. I think he will do considerably better than he did in 2019. Partly because of what he learned last season. But just as importantly, I think the OL and running game will be a lot better in 2020. That will make it a lot easier for Tommy to be successful.

If the oline didnt play better it was always gonna be a struggle and it turns out it was.

My point is there were stretches this past year where I know I (and many other fans) wanted to see a different QB on the field and it just could not happen because our backups were significantly worse (yes Welch played against some teams but he was a RS SR PWO IIRC) .

If chance Amie was on last years team for example (a young and physically ready QB) then the whole board would’ve been begging for him to go in during many games last year.

That’s my point - he still has A LOT to prove to us in terms of being the head man for the next two years 100%.

The legend Eric Dungey literally had much of the fan base wanting the younger TD to come in and play during a stretch where he played below par.

So if TD plays with the poor pocket presence that he did last year and the offense is not humming as it should... then yeah the kid who has no other offers, but is 6’4 200+ and threw the ball all over the field his senior year should be put in if he is the true back up QB.

As others have stated I saw so many freshman QB well outperforming ours last year. I could care less about their offers it’s just a fact, if someone’s not performing then we need to move on to the next.

long post lol but essentially I hope we never see anyone but TD this year, but to say he can’t be overthrown by a freshman is ridiculous because I have seen it elsewhere.
By this logic, Eric Dungey left here with a lot to prove and TD should have replaced him last season. I must also conclude that you were among the crowd that wanted to see ED replaced by TD. Is this true!?
For the record, I thought TD would outperform ED statistically and if so, there would be no reason to believe we would have had the season we did. I think he tried too hard to look for the long pass and combined with no time to let it happen, he was instead sacked... a lot. Much of that is on the OL too. I still think he will be a much better QB this season, but my expectations are dialed back to where they should have been. We shouldn't be so hot and cold.

By this logic, Eric Dungey left here with a lot to prove and TD should have replaced him last season. I must also conclude that you were among the crowd that wanted to see ED replaced by TD. Is this true!?
For the record, I thought TD would outperform ED statistically and if so, there would be no reason to believe we would have had the season we did. I think he tried too hard to look for the long pass and combined with no time to let it happen, he was instead sacked... a lot. Much of that is on the OL too. I still think he will be a much better QB this season, but my expectations are dialed back to where they should have been. We shouldn't be so hot and cold.
Well, TD replace ED. Dino did that during the UNC game when ED was ineffective. That and the discussion ED and Dino had after that game made ED assess his play and make some changes.

Well, TD replace ED. Dino did that during the UNC game when ED was ineffective. That and the discussion ED and Dino had after that game made ED assess his play and make some changes.
I know, and TD didn’t play every game last year. Perhaps he assessed some too. I just find it funny that in the same post where ED is evoked because Cuse12 can’t believe people wanted him sat for underperforming given how great he is, it can be said that TD needs to be sat for a high schooler because he has so much to prove to us (more than his coaches apparently) in such a way as to suggest he is being gifted one more chance and he’d better not blow it.

I agree if there’s bad stretches and a big sized kid like the freshman Texan QB knows the playbook well enough ... I say send em in. By this year TD needs to tell us if he is our undisputed QB

He already is.

The 4th best QB in the ACC, while being 1st in sacks in 1st year = on pace with ED and Nassib.

The most popular QB is always the backup.

I think this is true.

Last year at this point, many on the board appeared to have completely unrealistic expectations for Tommy for 2019. Many thought he would do considerable better than Eric did his senior season, right out of the gate.

Now a lot of people have overreacted the other way and think the inexperienced backups might beat him out.

Put me in the camp that thinks Tommy will start unless he gets hurt. I think he will do considerably better than he did in 2019. Partly because of what he learned last season. But just as importantly, I think the OL and running game will be a lot better in 2020. That will make it a lot easier for Tommy to be successful.
It's amazing what having that 4th star will do at a 3 star school.

Probably the same people that thought DeVito as a RF was going to unseat a SR Dungey.

The unrealistic expectations (from myself included) were definitely based on his body of work in 2018, not the star rankings. Stars mean nothing.
I agree 100%. We have to remember though, we saw as much bad, as we saw good from him as a Freshman. Not that there is anything wrong with a Freshman playing like a Freshman. The good we saw perhaps stayed in the front of our minds, as much of it came in some clutch situations. People should also remember that TD did those things behind a much more competent o-line than was available to him for 74% of last year.
We saw our line begin to gel last year, and open up the running game a bit. If they can continue to improve, and keep opening holes for backs, and stay in the top half of the country in sacks allowed, and TD develops some pocket awareness (this is the part I'm most unsure of), you will see what TD is capable of.

He already is.

The 4th best QB in the ACC, while being 1st in sacks in 1st year = on pace with ED and Nassib.
Are you talking statistics or quality of play? The two don't always coincide. TD's sophomore passing stats were better than McNabb's sophomore year. There were a bunch of qbs McNabb's senior year that had better stats, yet he was a higher draft pick than many of them.

You have to look beyond the numbers.

Are you talking statistics or quality of play? The two don't always coincide. TD's sophomore passing stats were better than McNabb's sophomore year. There were a bunch of qbs McNabb's senior year that had better stats, yet he was a higher draft pick than many of them.

You have to look beyond the numbers.

Yeah, of course. I think you're right that people are blinded by things - but I think it's preseason expectations not post-season stats.

Who are you taking over him in the ACC last year? My top 5:

1. Trevor Lawrence
2. Sam Howell
3. Bryce Perkins
4. Tommy DeVito
5. Jamien Newman

And my comps to Syracuse QB's were more recent in ED and Nassib. Both of which had pretty flawed, yet promising sophomore years. TD will be fine with more reps, better blocking, and an improved OC/QB coaching situation. I don't think he should be at all worried about a true freshman QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom