Immediate Thoughts Following Army Game | Syracusefan.com

Immediate Thoughts Following Army Game

607FBL

Walk On
Just a few quick thoughts I had after the game.

- Dordevic is clearly one of the top players in the country. His speed, dodging ability, his shot with both hands. At the start of the game, it looked like he couldn't and wouldn't be stopped.

- Porter was a little disappointing to me. I thought he looked almost too relaxed in cage. His body movements just seemed slower than I remember.

- The defense had problems off-ball and just didn't look like they were great at playing together. Gave up some goals because they would switch matchups and not help inside to cover the Army cutters.

- That attack line needs change. Cook rides hard but only produced 2 shots. I thought Rehfuss was fine, but was hoping to get a little more out of him with all the attention being paid to the midfield.

- #22 needs to do more. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I didn't think Scanlan did enough. I thought aside from that first goal, Army was perfectly able to only use a short stick on him the rest of the game. Too many turnovers, lazy in the ride, soft on GBs. I know he's a good player, but if this team is going to be successful, I think they need more from him.

- Officials weren't great and seemed confused with calls regarding faceoffs, but as much as Cuse fans probably dislike some of the calls, there were a couple possessions where Cuse defensemen got away with almost lifting the Army helmets off their matchups heads for no call as well.

- I understand that kids that go to Army have a unique mindset. Many teams might shut down at 6-1. But how do we let a team beat us 17-5 after having that 6-1 lead?

- Nice to see an upstate kid play well in the Dome, Edinger had a nice day for the Black Knights. 3G 1A and seemed to make a lot of smart plays. Nichtern and Abshire are good. Army goalie Schupler played great as well.

- How many of the Army top 6 offensive guys play for Cuse? Nichtern and Abshire? Maybe Philipp and Edinger find roles? How does Cuse let a team with much less talent dominate?

Feel free to let me know what you agree/disagree with or what else you saw. Hope the boys can regroup for Virginia.

Nichtern was the best player on the field and wasn’t even close

What a total embarrassment by Desko. Team looked absolutely unprepared and unmotivated. How many more years of this do we have to endure?

What a total embarrassment by Desko. Team looked absolutely unprepared and unmotivated. How many more years of this do we have to endure?
I kind of liked last year. We had a great chance to be National Champs before COVID shut us down last year. So let one game go and see what happens. First games are always hard and Army had one under their belt and a week to fix things.

I kind of liked last year. We had a great chance to be National Champs before COVID shut us down last year. So let one game go and see what happens. First games are always hard and Army had one under their belt and a week to fix things.
This is a very sensible post. But,admittedly, from what I saw today We have to be MAJORLY concerned how we are going to defend all these great offenses in the ACC. No disrespect but giving up 18 to Army is shameful.

It seems, however, that Army made the adjustment after falling behind 6-1, not really so much during the week.

It seems, however, that Army made the adjustment after falling behind 6-1, not really so much during the week.
I wonder how you would know what they worked on the last week. It might just be they started to play better while we relaxed and blew it. I hope this was a wake up call but I don't know if that works when you are in a coma like we seemed after the first quarter.

I wonder how you would know what they worked on the last week. It might just be they started to play better while we relaxed and blew it. I hope this was a wake up call but I don't know if that works when you are in a coma like we seemed after the first quarter.
Well, it appears they worked on their clearing because they struggled against Virginia. Today they were pretty flawless and it led to a number of unsettled goals. Army knows how SU plays. There isn’t a lot of mystery. They were well prepared. SU wasn’t.

One of the most disappointing and telling tales is the identical contribution a year later from the attack against Army. It tells you what you need to know - that this is not the right unit. Cook has to go and Hiltz needs to be in full time . I don’t think this is a wait and see - we’ve seen enough from Cook (I have anyway). He has some moments (and a strong ride ) but there’s no magic there ...Hiltz should possibly be stirring the drink ..We have to have a serious threat down low to turn the gears ...otherwise , once the midfield is slowed down , the production screeches to a halt ...if we want to see the look of Hiltz , Scanlan and Cook ..I’m game for that too ..despite his great career - I was not thrilled to see rehfuss back

one way or another ..the attack unit needs to be played with . we may even need to consider dropping Dordevic down low ..yep ...and putting Scanlan up top ..

game 1 yes - but not really game 1 with the same unit , same lackluster results

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom