Immediate Transfer Vote | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Immediate Transfer Vote

Syracuse use to get its best players by finding the diamonds in the rough.
What is wrong with some people? We’re effin SU, top 5 all time in wins. When we were very good, we recruited very good talent. We didn’t rely on Gerry scraping away in the Scranton coal mines.

What is wrong with some people? We’re effin SU, top 5 all time in wins. When we were very good, we recruited very good talent. We didn’t rely on Gerry scraping away in the Scranton coal mines.
A team in our own conference signs multiple 5 star players every single year. In 21 years since the star system was created, Syracuse has signed 1 player. Without the diamonds in the rough like Chandler Jones, Eric Dungey, Shamarko Thomas etc., this program would be near nonexistent.

IMHO, players should be allowed to leave without penalty if and only if there is a HC change.

But to answer your question, it will not be good for SU FB, and I don’t think that it will be good for the game. There will be ultra dynasties, and interest will deteriorate elsewhere (and therefore overall).

Agreed -- common-sense change, that will never be implemented.

I think it hurts teams like Syracuse, Temple, Duke and NC St the most. We develop kids like Dungey and Shamarko and they will leave for a factory school that has a starters role for them in a heartbeat. They would be guaranteed a chance to showcase their talents and go to a big bowl game without having to sit out. The factories would be in the driver's seat more than ever. They wouldn't even need to develop kids, just cherry pick every year.

The saddest outcome may be the players who are enticed to jump up to the big boys only to find out they aren't good enough to start after all. Sure, they get to enjoy being on very good team, but they will forego being star at a mid-tier P5 to ride out their eligibility on the pine.

It then becomes a lose-lose for both player and former team.
The big boys could start poaching just for depth or as a way to weaken conference opponents just like Coach K and his last-minute offers to steal Jimmy's hoopers.

I think it hurts teams like Syracuse, Temple, Duke and NC St the most. We develop kids like Dungey and Shamarko and they will leave for a factory school that has a starters role for them in a heartbeat. They would be guaranteed a chance to showcase their talents and go to a big bowl game without having to sit out. The factories would be in the driver's seat more than ever. They wouldn't even need to develop kids, just cherry pick every year.
That picture you paint is a bit extreme. I'd guess that a few might be drawn to the brightest lights. But most would not. If I am, say, Shamarko, why would I leave SU -- where I get plenty of time/exposure to shine -- to go to (say) Bama, where I can get exposed 2-3 extra times per game by the WRs or passing games at LSU or Texas A&M, Auburn or UF?

Maybe if I am a QB. Maybe if I am a Dungey type. But Bama, USC, OSU only can have one starting quarterback, right?

Factory schools will benefit the most. Currently you are recruiting on projections of a player. After a year or two those players are known quantities. An Ohio St. can poach a player they undervalued from a school like SU, offer that player a scholie, then run off a 4/5 star who after two years is a "bust".

This is great for us in football we can’t sniff a 4 or 5 star as a recruit. Trish was higher ranked than anyone we have got in years. Now we can get more of these guys as transfers.

Just adapt and change.

Only downside is our transfers have seriously benefited from the redshirt. You take that away and dudes will have a hard time beating out returning starters instead of waiting a year for them to leave.

Well whats the problem then? We haven't recruited well dating back to the end of the coach P era. So 5 coaches and more recruiters than I can remember and none of the staffs can crack the top 40. Last I checked, we still recruit the same very good talent we used to, they just aren't selecting us, and to pretend that recruiting hasn't changed since then is just shortsighted. We compete with many more schools than we used to, and we have one of the worst records among all p5 dating back to 2004. That's a mighty big boulder to push up a mighty big hill.
USF, UCF, Temple, Boise State, etc...are all schools that didn't perform or recruit at a p5 level back in the day. Well they do now, and it's just more competition for us.