Important Read: B1G upfront Loaded Dollars for Maryland... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Important Read: B1G upfront Loaded Dollars for Maryland...

That was one of the things here that always got to me...the assumption that cable carriers want to add more channels. NJ and MD aren't Wisconsin where they need their Badgers to prepare them for the Packers.

A part of me is enjoying this, on the other hand I am concerned what an irrational Delaney might do next, so I kind of almost hope it works out for them in the most minimal way possible.

To be honest I am losing respect for Delaney as a businessman by the day. Yes, the network was a fantastic idea and a great revenue generator for the conference, but the most recent moves seem to be almost an emotional response to the ACC taking ND off the table, with little thought or calculation. If Delaney thought NJ would give a rat's A about Rutgers he was in a state of delusion, MD is up for grabs, but even at that, much of the DC based population doesn't care. Moreover, I can't say the Nebraska move was all that great either, we all lauded him for adding quality of content and competition, and then did a 180 by adding trash w/cable boxes in the next move. What is the strategy here? Is there one?

If you analyze the remaining B1G targets, the only one I see driving cable demand for B1G network is UNC, and I really don't see them making the move. UVA?no way, splits market with VaTech and most of the more populated areas in VA are transient. GA Tech, probably not, its UGA country

Yes, the network was a fantastic idea and a great revenue generator for the conference, but the most recent moves seem to be almost an emotional response to the ACC taking ND off the table, with little thought or calculation.
Yep. Also they seemed concerned that Penn State might bolt for the ACC sometime in the not-too-distant future as a result of the ACC's positioning itself.

I hope that some day someone writes a book about the inner machinations of conference realignment based on off the record conversations with key parties. What an awesome read that could be!

@Ourand_SBJ
There's a good chance many Maryland and Rutgers games won't be on TV when they join the Big 10. SBJ's story. http://bit.ly/TY3YnX

@Ourand_SBJ: B1G may keep Maryland/Rutgers off Big Ten Network unless local cable distributors place BTN on expanded basic tier

I can imagine the outrage when Rutgers games aren't available on tv.

Pitchforks_and_torches_by_TheMobplz.jpg
OutraGE BUT ALSO FUNNY. Thats the "fun" part.Tweaking the knightie fans and their delusions of grandeur.:p

Delaney needs to be very careful what he does next, if he pushes anymore he may cause ESPN to move the LHN with Texas into the ACC. Neither Texas or Notre Dame like the Big 10, and it seems they would like nothing better then to stick it to Mr Delaney. There were rumors of Texas talking to the ACC at the same time as Notre Dame, that would give the ACC great leverage.

Gawd how epic would that be. The B1G Network refuses to show Rutgers games until they are put on the basic tier.

Cable company slaps the BiG Network back into reality by saying there is no demand to put the B1G on the basic tier.

B1G realizes they are stuck with Rutgers and no NYC marketshare...
That is why the YES Network is being packaged by News Corp. with the B1G Network. In other words, the NYC DMA will not get YES unless it takes the B1G Network. While I agree there may be no demand for the B1G Network in the NYC DMA even with Rutgers in the B1G, there certainly is incredible demand for YES in that DMA.

http://www.bloguin.com/theoutsideco...ber/news-corp-acquires-49-of-yes-network.html

“I mean, I was totally stunned,” Loh said. “Remember, all that I know about the Big Ten and the ACC at this time is that there are games. . . . It really opened my eyes because I’ve never been involved with the details of a conference.”

Holy cripes. This dope is the man who is making conference realignment decisions for Maryland, which in turn may cause havoc throughout the landscape of college sports?

The world ends in a week, right? Makes sense.

I hope that some day someone writes a book about the inner machinations of conference realignment based on off the record conversations with key parties. What an awesome read that could be!

I've been saying that for years... something a la Barbarians at the Gate

So what does this all mean? First, Maryland whored itself to the B1G. The B1g was agreeable to Maryland's greed because it wanted to expand East.

Isn't that what everyone is doing? Everyone is moving, including SU, for $$$$$. You get as much as you can and you try to get out for as little.

BTW, what do you know about the ACC TV contract being grossly backloaded?

Isn't that what everyone is doing? Everyone is moving, including SU, for $$$$$. You get as much as you can and you try to get out for as little.

BTW, what do you know about the ACC TV contract being grossly backloaded?

Syracuse moved for survival. Maryland moved because they have a chancellor who doesn't know a basketball from a meatball.

Syracuse moved for survival. Maryland moved because they have a chancellor who doesn't know a basketball from a meatball.

As did MD. Financial survival. It's all about money.

As discussed in Washington Post Article link below, The B1G went after Maryland and Maryland decided it wanted more money upfront than either Nebraska or Rutgers received. Maryland President stated:
“There is no reason for us to leave,” Loh said. “So if we are going to consider, seriously, leaving, it has got to be worth our while.”

Additionally, there is this:
T"hose financial problems could include the ACC's $52 million buyout. The league has sued the school to recoup the entire exit fee. Maryland used its leverage to free up some Big Ten money earlier. Wonder what Nebraska thinks about that?"

So what does this all mean? First, Maryland whored itself to the B1G. The B1g was agreeable to Maryland's greed because it wanted to expand East. What this article unfortunately points out is that $$$$$$ are running the world of college sports...the ACC is working to find ways to increase payouts but this B1G scenario is probably difficult for universities to rebuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...5da16c-3fd0-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_story.html

Discuss--the roller coaster ride is about to get rough!
It seems like UMD thinks that they are going to have to pay all the 452 million (or at least a big chunk of it)

That's HUGE for the ACC.

It seems like UMD thinks that they are going to have to pay all the 452 million (or at least a big chunk of it)

That's HUGE for the ACC.

452 million? Wow! ;)

Gawd how epic would that be. The B1G Network refuses to show Rutgers games until they are put on the basic tier.

Cable company slaps the BiG Network back into reality by saying there is no demand to put the B1G on the basic tier.

B1G realizes they are stuck with Rutgers and no NYC marketshare...
That would make my decade (and then some) lol It actually might happen too!

(That's the secret buyout... none of this $52 million cr*p)

Don't tell anyone that I let you in on the secret though ;)

I see the 4 is on the same key as the $. You need to have zCali show you where the shift key is.

That is why the YES Network is being packaged by News Corp. with the B1G Network. In other words, the NYC DMA will not get YES unless it takes the B1G Network. While I agree there may be no demand for the B1G Network in the NYC DMA even with Rutgers in the B1G, there certainly is incredible demand for YES in that DMA.

http://www.bloguin.com/theoutsideco...ber/news-corp-acquires-49-of-yes-network.html
Yes, but they will only get the commercial fees and the carriage charges that match what they are worth in the areas where their programming is shown. Even if they can enforce previously agreed upon blanket rates for the rest of this contract cyle, the rates will be reset to reflect the actual value of the package during the next round of TV negotiations. I know Fox owns half of the YES and half of the BTN. They might not mind carrying them (i.e. subsidizing the BTN by bundling it with YES), because, to them, it is just an accounting loss (their ownership interest in YES) that is offset by an accounting gain (their ownership interest in the B1G), but the Yankees own the other half of YES, and I would not bet on the Yankees de-valuing their ownership interests in YES so that a binch of mostly midwestern schools can make a big profit. I'm a Yankees fan, but I don't see any son of George Steinbrenner doing that out of the goodness of his heart. I also don't see a boatload of RU fans in NYC clamoring to get the BTN after a couple years of getting curb stomped in football by tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nebraska, and Penn State (when they come back...which they will), and then getting re-curb stomped during a midwesten snooz-fest basketball game by tOSU, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Illinois (if they get good again).

There is no such thing as free money, and neither the yankees, nor the cable companies are about to give it away.

This will go down as a G*d awful add by the B1G. But, in the words of McDonald's "I'm loving it." The Rut is now the B1G's problem.

As did MD. Financial survival. It's all about money.

Loh even said they'd be fine in the ACC, and that they didn't have to move. They would still have UNC, Duke, UVa, VT, Miami, FSU, etc...we would have Tulane and ECU.

Loh even said they'd be fine in the ACC, and that they didn't have to move. They would still have UNC, Duke, UVa, VT, Miami, FSU, etc...we would have Tulane and ECU.

When we left, while we knew the BE was in trouble, we still had WVU, Pitt, rutgers. Not Tulane and ECU. It was partially survival but survival sue to $$$$. Why the hate toward what MD did? I thought you were a republican and believed in free enterprise and all that?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

When we left, while we knew the BE was in trouble, we still had WVU, Pitt, rutgers. Not Tulane and ECU. It was partially survival but survival sue to $$$$. Why the hate toward what MD did? I thought you were a republican and believed in free enterprise and all that?

We knew everyone wanted to jump ship and the life rafts were limited.

I am a Republican, Maryland and RU are nothing more than corporate welfare (and a bailout rewarding mismanagement in the Terps case). Maryland has basically given up competing for a handout.

If we didn't go they would have just taken Rutgers. Also, WVU was openly begging to get out at the time. We had to become part of a relevant conference or we would have been stuck in the same situation as uconn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am a Republican, Maryland and RU are nothing more than corporate welfare (and a bailout rewarding mismanagement in the Terps case). Maryland has basically given up competing for a handout.
With all the guaranteed money coming in, it will be interesting to see if any schools will say " it" and just put out a crappy product. Why not if they can collect huge checks without spending any money? Kind of like the Pirates and some other baseball teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just don't buy it. Everyone is jumping ship from conference to conference. Money drives it. MD didn't whore themselves anymore than any other team. If the BE was pulling in $20m per team, it would have been more stable and teams wouldn't have been bailing at the first chance.

Name me just 1 team that went to a conference where the revenue is less than what they were getting.