Impressions | Syracusefan.com

Impressions

HRE Otto IV

Hall of Fame
-I felt we dialed it back after the Neal TD. We didn't seem to push the pace and we kept it vanilla once we got a good lead.

-The OL did not play well. They didn't give the RBs holes and allowed a bunch of shots on Dungey.

-It seemed like most of the passes were to the left side of the field. It would be interesting to see a pass chart, maybe I was only imagining that. I wonder how much of that had to do with Colgate's D and how much of it was what we wanted to do. Can't just use half the field against better teams.

-Cordy stood out but the rest of the D seemed quiet to me. Our run D did well, the pass D not so much. Colgate didn't execute the pass very well. They had chances. We need to get more pressure on passes. Also it would have been nice to get a TO.

-The staff is pretty innovative. Besides going for 4th Downs well inside our own territory (thank god we won't be punting from the opponent's 29 anymore) and our O system in general, they did two unique things today. First was the use of an extra OL as a fullback. First play that happened was when Neal went for the long TD. The 2nd was our Nickel package. We used Hodge as a DT and Thomas as a DE to help get more pressure.

-Today on D we really played a 4-2.5 with Thomas (and Taylor when he was in) positioned more like a DB than an OLB over the slot. Plus he had man coverage quite a bit. Usually a team will only shade a LB if they stay in their base 4-3 and have him play zone (like Bennett and Davis in prior years). It will be interesting to see if this was just for Colgate or if we play that way all year. If his role is as a LB/SS hybrid, it makes sense since he is smaller and quicker than a typical LB.

-Thought our K and P did a good job. Nice to see. Coverage was good as well.

-Not many penalties and only the one TO by the backups. Impressive to have so few mistakes the first game of the year. Hopefully those things continue. It was nice to see a team organized and disciplined for once.

One other point, the Graves thing was horribly done even for SU's standards. Was there any prior announcement leading up to the game? Why was he being honored? I am not saying he doesn't deserve it, but was there any special reason? Or was it random? Why not do it between quarters when people are still in their seats? Why not have him at mid field instead of right next to a promotion where you couldn't tell which was which? At least we didn't misspell his name, or did we?

One other point, the Graves thing was horribly done even for SU's standards. Was there any prior announcement leading up to the game? Why was he being honored? I am not saying he doesn't deserve it, but was there any special reason? Or was it random? Why not do it between quarters when people are still in their seats? Why not have him at mid field instead of right next to a promotion where you couldn't tell which was which? At least we didn't misspell his name, or did we?
To prove your point...What graves thing? What did I miss? When was it it?

I agree on keeping it vanilla and hitting cruise control. Colgate obviously sold out to stop the run, was interesting to see. Agree the online needs to play better, but the offense will take what defense gives them, why run if you can't do it on a certain night? The short passes where an extension of the run anyway.

I agree on keeping it vanilla and hitting cruise control. Colgate obviously sold out to stop the run, was interesting to see. Agree the online needs to play better, but the offense will take what defense gives them, why run if you can't do it on a certain night? The short passes where an extension of the run anyway.
If it's anything like old Baylor, we will see games where it's all pass and others where it's all run. I love that nothing is predetermined

I can't believe that we are running Baylor's offense and Baylor has Jim grobe. Maybe people will forget about Baylor and it will be thought of as our offense

If it's anything like old Baylor, we will see games where it's all pass and others where it's all run. I love that nothing is predetermined

I can't believe that we are running Baylor's offense and Baylor has Jim grobe. Maybe people will forget about Baylor and it will be thought of as our offense

Exactly, it's not about establishing anything, it's about exploiting what is there. Anti-meathead mentality, I can already see some are still scraping their hairy knuckles after that game because we couldn't run the ball, I bet there are games where we run it very well. I thought the offense was very ho hum last night and obviously have to get better in red zone but it was great to see how high the ceiling will be.

4th down plays were great. Babers comments in presser were great about the 4th down calls, basically calling out all meatheads.

Exactly, it's not about establishing anything, it's about exploiting what is there. Anti-meathead mentality, I can already see some are still scraping their hairy knuckles after that game because we couldn't run the ball, I bet there are games where we run it very well. I thought the offense was very ho hum last night and obviously have to get better in red zone but it was great to see how high the ceiling will be.

4th down plays were great. Babers comments in presser were great about the 4th down calls, basically calling out all meatheads.
to get 500 yards in the dark ages, all the stars had to align. we're going to have a 700 yard game next year

to get 500 yards in the dark ages, all the stars had to align. we're going to have a 700 yard game next year
I honestly think we'll do it this year. Not everyone on our schedule is Louisville, Clemson, FSU and ND. ...at times it feels like we are playing football in the SEC given the side of the ACC we landed on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom