Improving the defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Improving the defense

We are 66th in 3 pt% defense this year and last year we were 87. They year before we were 17th, but the percentage against us was 31.8 compared to 30.6.

Our 2pt percentage defense has cratered a bit and I suspect that is because Chukwu was a bigger presence in the zone than Sidibe. This year it is 148 compared to 45 and 17. This tells me the Interior of the defense has been a bigger issue than the perimeter.

Even though I had the wrong year for the percentage I would still contend the perimeter defense is the biggest problem. We have difficulty stopping any penetration at all due to slow feet, we don’t get the tips or deflected passes because he don’t cut off the passing lanes as well, we have trouble stopping passes from going inside etc etc. Now the counter argument would be that since the 3 point line is further out the guards have to extend further which makes the things I listed a little more difficult. But the bottom line is that nobody thinks Sidibe is as good as Chewy. He’s not. But also anyone that thinks Buddy and Joe are as good on defense as Battle and a healthy . Howard are nuts.

Even though I had the wrong year for the percentage I would still contend the perimeter defense is the biggest problem. We have difficulty stopping any penetration at all due to slow feet, we don’t get the tips or deflected passes because he don’t cut off the passing lanes as well, we have trouble stopping passes from going inside etc etc. Now the counter argument would be that since the 3 point line is further out the guards have to extend further which makes the things I listed a little more difficult. But the bottom line is that nobody thinks Sidibe is as good as Chewy. He’s not. But also anyone that thinks Buddy and Joe are as good on defense as Battle and a healthy . Howard are nuts.

They aren't, but they also are getting scapegoated for a larger part of the problem than they probably deserve.

They aren't, but they also are getting scapegoated for a larger part of the problem than they probably deserve.

I feel the same about Sidibe. Let’s just say the “team” isn’t a good defensive team.

I feel the same about Sidibe. Let’s just say the “team” isn’t a good defensive team.

We are in agreement. For the record I think we win if he doesn't foul out Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom