In regards to yesterday's article about JB saying... | Syracusefan.com

In regards to yesterday's article about JB saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
Frank "has got this week," how is one interpreting this? According to the article, its implies JB is giving Howard a deadline or ultimatum.

Here are some of JB's quotes from the article: "I told him he's got this week,'' Boeheim said.

"He's not physically where he needs to be as far as his overall conditioning (and) his mental aspect,'' Boeheim said.

"He did get in the lane a couple times,'' Boeheim said. "He's got to do that. He's not shooting it that well from the perimeter. He's got to get in the lane.'' Boeheim also noted that Howard hasn't looked to get out on the fastbreak.

"I think he's playing very, very slow,'' Boeheim said. "We can't play that way. We have to play faster. We have to get the ball up the court quicker. It helps our whole team.''

"I thought Frank turned the corner a little bit,'' Boeheim said. "I thought Frank was looking to go a little bit more. He's got to really get back and get in the lane.''

With JB's remarks, is it outside of the realm that if Frank doesn't improve upon him getting in the lane, etc. that he yanks him out of the starting lineup for Carey, regardless of his senior status? A lot of our starts have been poor, and we can't afford to keep doing this as we face stiffer competition, especially with ACC play just around the corner. JB appears to be more comfortable with giving Carey more PT in lieu of Frank, or at minimal is attempting to light a fire under Howard's butt to get going.

Last edited:
If he isn't physically where he needs to be, then why would he say he only have a week if it's not really is fault and eventually get better?

Why not just sit the guy or play him less until he is 100% then make a determination on his playing time.

None of this makes sense.

If he isn't physically where he needs to be, then why would he say he only have a week if it's not really is fault and eventually get better?

Why not just sit the guy or play him less until he is 100% then make a determination on his playing time.

Could be a case of sometimes JB says things.

Or it's JB saying the physical aspect but knowing its the mental aspect in reality and realizing that Frank needs a kick in the butt to get going.

I didn't think twice about it. When did he say it again? I just thought there is a week between the G-town game and the next game, and that he simply meant he had this whole week to work on things with no games. I D K.

because with him, even not at 100% we beat teams like Ohio State

without him we lose to mid-majors like WhoCONN

I think he means Frank has a full week before the next game to get himself in a better place mentally and fully trust himself physically. I don't interpret that as an ultimatum. JB will dole out playing time based on what he sees on the court, as he has backcourt options that weren't available to him last season.

Listen to the video and he says he has this week, he needs to run.

i.e get his legs back.

There is no ultimatum unless you want to imagine it.

Could be a case of sometimes JB says things.

Or it's JB saying the physical aspect but knowing its the mental aspect in reality and realizing that Frank needs a kick in the butt to get going.

Personally, I lean towards this sentiment. Franks been back three weeks or so, and the mental aspect (which often is the case after certain type of injuries) appears to be the major obstacle here. And, because of it, JB is imploring Frank to get over it already (lack of a better expression) and get your head in the game and toughen up. We need you! And, if you're not going to commit yourself or place yourself in the right mindset, I'm not going to wait around for YOU to decide, I'll decide for you.

JB is in a much better position this year to give Frank this "tough love" approach due to having Carey willing, ready and able in the wings, whereas last year it wasn't the case. There were times when Frank played poorly, where we had no good options and simply had to bite the bullet. That's not the case this year. Of course, this is just my opinion, but this quote from JB is paramount; "I think he's playing very, very slow,'' Boeheim said. "We can't play that way. We have to play faster. We have to get the ball up the court quicker. It helps our whole team.''

decoder ring.png

There’s no way Boeheim would give one of his players an ultimatum to play better in a week or else, publically. That’s not how he, or any coach would operate.

He meant it more as “well, now you’ve got a whole week to continue healing up and get better for the next game” type thing, I’m positive.

i was listening to sports talk about leg issues and the problems bball shooters have and qbs have when the legs cant drive like they want.. Frank was supposedly shooting lights out until he got hurt, now he cant hardly go hard to get up the court.. it takes time not only to get into shape but to trust it enough to go hard.

Mike Waters was up to something. He ended up changing the headline of the article. Waters was trying to stir the pot. Someone from up top must have set him straight.

Mike Waters was up to something. He ended up changing the headline of the article. Waters was trying to stir the pot. Someone from up top must have set him straight.

I don’t know why people cut out the words right after “he’s got this week” which were “he really needs to run”.

i was listening to sports talk about leg issues and the problems bball shooters have and qbs have when the legs cant drive like they want.. Frank was supposedly shooting lights out until he got hurt, now he cant hardly go hard to get up the court.. it takes time not only to get into shape but to trust it enough to go hard.

We heard jb say he was playing his best ball ever. We saw the vid that said he hit 97 of 120 threes in a workout (no defense) and Jake posted that he had become an “A” shooter. Really too bad.

Not only that but in the same press conference JB said something along the lines of Carey playing well but doesn't need to shoot 3s. He then said he doesn't understand that yet, or something along those lines.

Carey will get pulled If he keeps shooting those 3s assuming Frank isn't in foul trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom