In the Path of Ian..... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

In the Path of Ian.....

One of the stations down here just reported my town has had 16-17" of rain, with the possibility of another 6-8" because the eye wall stalled over us.

1664403296442.jpeg

I think I'm going to need a lot of luck for the next 12 hours. We left our home in Cape Coral yesterday for Miami. Hopefully my boat doesn't end up in my yard and my house under water.
My sister has a house in Cape Coral. Just retired this year. She wasn't too worried this weekend when I saw her in NY. Now she is.
She has Kevlar blinds/shutters but the flooding is going to be the problem. Great neighbors to assess initial damage as she won't be back until the weekend most likely.

and this in a state whose homeowners insurance system is a disaster

My insurance carrier went out of business this year. In Florida typically "home" insurances have three pieces - homeowners, windstorm and flood, you buy them separately. Homeowners insurance deals with theft, fire, vandals and everything not storm related. Windstorm insurance is for wind and rain damages like when a window is blown out and your rug gets wet from the wind driven rain. Flood is for rising water. So if a priceless rug is ruined from water, you file a claim to your windstorm insurance carrier if rain landed on it, but if there is a storm surge and that rug is damaged from rising water, it's flood insurance instead. So many of us have to buy all three insurances unless you are out of the flood zones then you can skip the flood. It is not unusual for the insurances to be more than the mortgage itself.

With this storm, I expect next year's premium to skyrocket for everyone in the state.

Last edited:
One of the stations down here just reported my town has had 16-17" of rain, with the possibility of another 6-8" because the eye wall stalled over us.

View attachment 220535
If you see animals running in pairs in the same direction, may I politely suggest donning your best rain gear and following them?

And seriously, please stay safe my friend.

My insurance carrier went out of business this year. In Florida typically "home" insurances have three pieces - homeowners, windstorm and flood, you buy them separately. Homeowners insurance deals with theft, fire, vandals and everything not storm related. Windstorm insurance is for wind and rain damages like when a window is blown out and your rug gets wet from the wind driven rain. Flood is for rising water. So if a priceless rug is ruined from water, you file a claim to your windstorm insurance carrier if rain landed on it, but if there is a storm surge and that rug is damaged from rising water, it's flood insurance instead. So many of us have to buy all three insurances unless you are out of the flood zones then you can skip the flood. It is not unusual for the insurances to be more than the mortgage itself.

With this storm, I expect next year's premium to skyrocket for everyone in the state.

Your options, even state options may be very limited by then company wise. I will say this- I urge anyone with a claim from this storm to file it as soon as physically possible.

So far, so good. The water in back of us is creeping up (from rain, not storm surge), but I think we'll be OK.

You good?

I don't know. I've got a feeling I might have some flooding and probably missing screens on the pool cage. We're still in Miami. I might stay an extra day or two to let things settle down. A buddy of mine will drive by tomorrow and let know. Hopefully my boat is still on my lift.

Are you in North Port? Tracking shows landfall between Englewood and Ft. Myers, with a straight line northeast once on land, which puts North Port right in it. My sister-in-law came here to get out of it. Stay safe and take care.
My sister is in North Port, was able to make contact, they were in the closets waiting it out. They’re good but they didn’t listen to the advice I gave after I went through a bunch when I lived down there. Newbies seem to think that when the storm is over that they’re free and clear……