In the Path of Ian..... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

In the Path of Ian.....

Yeah I will take snow half the year, thanks.
What about the all inevitable houses floating on snow?
thats-it-for-me-george-costanza.gif

Color me curious. NM is on our list of possible retirement spots. (My wife is vehemently opposed to FL, and we both like the desert.). Why did you leave NM for FL (if not too personal).
Thanks
Let me know if you have interest in AZ as I am a Realtor here. Today I kept telling myself that this is why I am happy I am in AZ. I have thought Florida. Nothing else against Fl. but hurricanes.

I'll be following this. Those of you in the the hard hit areas I am really thinking of you. What I am seeing on TV is insane. Naples, Ft. Myers, like nothing I have seen before. Jim Cantore is a trooper. Those of you who evacuated and think you have major flooding, your safety is most important. Things are just things. Lives are lives.

Last edited:
Hardly any effects here in Fort Lauderdale/Miami area other than the typical tropical storm debris, there were a bunch of tornandos on Tuesday night and some flooding. The marina across my house has the parking lot flooded and street flooded, no flooding inside my house but water did come up high enough to pour into my crawlspace through the vents, so my crawlspace looks like a lake now, but this has more to do with the combined effect of king tides and rain at the same time, other than that south Florida is unaffected.

Cannot imagine what I am seeing on TV for Naples Ft. Myers Sanibal Islands. Devastating.

Man - I know SW Florida well having vacationed and lived there before. Heart breaks seeing all these pics. Gonna be a long haul getting this all cleared up.

So far all friends and family living in the area doing well, most evacuated but those that stayed are healthy- one with about a 50 pct loss on their home. Hope everyone is holding up and doing well this AM.

So, all good here. Some minor exterior damage; water never came quite high enough to breach anything. Street (at least in front of our place) seems dry, but I haven't ventured out further yet.

We had close to 20" of rain, several 104 MPH wind gusts, 80+ mph sustained winds. Really amazing that we retained power so I could keep tabs on you knuckleheads.

Seriously though, many thanks for all the kind thoughts, prayers, PM's, etc. Very much appreciated.

So, all good here. Some minor exterior damage; water never came quite high enough to breach anything. Street (at least in front of our place) seems dry, but I haven't ventured out further yet.

We had close to 20" of rain, several 104 MPH wind gusts, 80+ mph sustained winds. Really amazing that we retained power so I could keep tabs on you knuckleheads.

Seriously though, many thanks for all the kind thoughts, prayers, PM's, etc. Very much appreciated.
Great to hear orange79 Thanks for keeping us posted.

Here's hoping our other Florida residents are doing well

Yep, I think one of those videos out there was from 2010. Still, they have seen this species in canals, rivers, lakes, etc. And they are particularly grouchy!

They have the highest testosterone of any animal on the planet. My neighbors son caught one in our canal a while ago.

Just saw this after helping with cleanup in the neighborhood all day. No major damage & no power outage. But my aging back isn't handling the cleanup work very well. Oh well...what we have now is plenty of time.
Thanks for helping with cleanup. We were out most of the day doing wellness checks on elderly folks people were asking about on Facebook, and saw a lot of work to be done - trees down, roofs damaged, building material all over.

It's going to be a while before this community is back to normal.

I don't even want to think about Ft. Myers, Naples, etc. :(

Thanks for helping with cleanup. We were out most of the day doing wellness checks on elderly folks people were asking about on Facebook, and saw a lot of work to be done - trees down, roofs damaged, building material all over.

It's going to be a while before this community is back to normal.

I don't even want to think about Ft. Myers, Naples, etc. :(
I have a friend who lives in Naples but was up here during the storm. She insists Naples will very quickly get its act together because they did after the last hurricane. But Ian seems to be very different. She also wants us to fly into Ft. Myers, as we usually do. We asked if she thought Ft. Myers airport would be ready to go in February and she looked at us like we were cray cray. Now my friend is very intelligent, but she might be experiencing a bit of denial.

I have a friend who lives in Naples but was up here during the storm. She insists Naples will very quickly get its act together because they did after the last hurricane. But Ian seems to be very different. She also wants us to fly into Ft. Myers, as we usually do. We asked if she thought Ft. Myers airport would be ready to go in February and she looked at us like we were cray cray. Now my friend is very intelligent, but she might be experiencing a bit of denial.
RSW is ready to open with limited flights on Wednesday, Oct. 5.

We had 2 or 3 inches throughout, dried mud on the floors, a very brown pool and a boat that barely stayed on the lift but we're fine and a little clean up will make things seem normal again. People's docks got washed out and boats washed away along with roofs ripped off.We got hammered but we'll be back. It's what we do.