Incredibly important game tonight, on multiple levels | Syracusefan.com

Incredibly important game tonight, on multiple levels

RF2044

Living Legend
  • We're playing on ESPN, Monday night, @ MSG. This is a BIG game for both teams
  • After UConn's lousy start, this will be a chance for them to right the ship
  • We need to bolster our non-conference resume, after the pair of earlier losses
  • Losing to UConn would be disastrous for the bullet point above, especially with all their injures / missing personnel
  • Tonight's game is another opportunity for the new starting lineup to gel / improve
  • Both of these fanbases still loathe each other -- losing to these @#$#@! would be untenable

Let's Go Orange!!!

For some reason, I have a good feeling about tonight. Much more so than before the SC or Wiscy game. I think the team has something to prove and they know it. Look for us to come out under the bright lights and play well.

For some reason, I have a good feeling about tonight. Much more so than before the SC or Wiscy game. I think the team has something to prove and they know it. Look for us to come out under the bright lights and play well.

Hope you're right--still waiting for our team to bring it against a team that isn't cannon fodder.

• We're playing on ESPN, Monday night, @ MSG. This is a BIG game for both teams
  • After UConn's lousy start, this will be a chance for them to right the ship
  • We need to bolster our non-conference resume, after the pair of earlier losses
  • Losing to UConn would be disastrous for the bullet point above, especially with all their injures / missing personnel
  • Tonight's game is another opportunity for the new starting lineup to gel / improve
  • Both of these fanbases still loathe each other -- losing to these @#$#@! would be untenable
Let's Go Orange!!!
One thing to add: F YUKON!

I want to see more aggressive rebounding as a team. I want to see guys go up strong around the basket and either finish or get fouled. I expect the new starting lineup to continue to gel offensively and for Frank/Tyus to improve out top on D. I worry about the interior defense and what the bench can bring.

This really is huge. I'm worried that South Carolina's season might get ugly if Thornwell is suspended very long resulting in that loss looking really bad. I don't see any way that losing to UConn won't be a bad loss at the end of the year. No offense to UConn or their fans - scratch that - I mean in every way to offend UConn and their fans.

Hoping the team that started the second half on Saturday shows up from the start tonight. Be interesting to see how JB handles the rotation. I'm thinking he might do one sub at a time considering the disaster that happened on Saturday when we had Gillon, Roberson and Thompson all in at the same time.

Hoping the team that started the second half on Saturday shows up from the start tonight. Be interesting to see how JB handles the rotation. I'm thinking he might do one sub at a time considering the disaster that happened on Saturday when we had Gillon, Roberson and Thompson all in at the same time.

This is what I think is the most positive aspect going forward. That starting lineup is only going to improve offensively. Look what they did from half 1 to half 2 Saturday. Also Frank and Tyus will be good defensively the more they play. The bench is a huge question mark at this point.

I want to see more aggressive rebounding as a team. I want to see guys go up strong around the basket and either finish or get fouled. I expect the new starting lineup to continue to gel offensively and for Frank/Tyus to improve out top on D. I worry about the interior defense and what the bench can bring.
Me too but dilemma of playing zone doesn't provide for boxing out well and other teams having to take long shots equals long rebounds back to them as we crash boards but yes, please more rebounds

The current year dismantled UConn team is not at the same level as South Carolina or Wisconsin. We need to feel better about this game.

This UConn team is horrible. A win does not bolster our OOC resume and a loss would pretty much guarantee we have to win 11-12 games in the ACC to have a shot at the tourney. There is no reason we should not win by 12+, but then again, we aren't a good team at this point either.

The current year dismantled UConn team is not at the same level as South Carolina or Wisconsin. We need to feel better about this game.
When they were complete, they lost to Wagner and Northeastern at home.

I know UConn is pretty bad this year -- but I think we all know their guards can absolutely go off and make things very interesting. I am pretty sure this game will mean a lot to them and (IMO) they will not go down easily (although I hope they will). I'll be at MSG tonight.

Am I confused? I thought you had us beating Wisky?

Am I wrong about that?

Am I confused? I thought you had us beating Wisky?

Am I wrong about that?
I had us going undefeated in the non-conference. I picked us to beat South Carolina, but after that game, I did not think we would beat Wisconsin. Is the snark based on my preseason expectations? Those have changed immensely, as they have for most people I believe.

I know UConn is pretty bad this year -- but I think we all know their guards can absolutely go off and make things very interesting. I am pretty sure this game will mean a lot to them and (IMO) they will not go down easily (although I hope they will). I'll be at MSG tonight.

What guards? They have one left. Larrier and Gilbert are hurt. Adams is going to have the ball at all times. It should be a simple gameplan. Don't let Adams and Purvis(to a lesser degree) beat you. We do that and we win going away.

Last edited:
I had us going undefeated in the non-conference. I picked us to beat South Carolina, but after that game, I did not think we would beat Wisconsin. Is the snark based on my preseason expectations? Those have changed immensely, as they have for most people I believe.

No. Not snark.

Very few people had us beating Wisky, especially after the South Carolina game.

My recollection is that you were one of them...I liked the optimism even though I didn't believe it...

I'm not sure there has ever been a game where I've been confident going in. Hopeful, sure. But SU has a tendency to lose the odd game that they should win because of the defense. The zone gives them a better chance to win more games over the long haul, but in the short term, every once in a while, a team shows up and shoot lights out for the whole game.

I'll be at MSG tonight.

And that is, without question, the most important reason to beat UConn tonight - so that those of us who are in attendance tonight can revel in the their absolute silence as the clock strikes zero...

To have to listen to their cheers would be deflating...

No. Not snark.

Very few people had us beating Wisky, especially after the South Carolina game.

My recollection is that you were one of them...I liked the optimism even though I didn't believe it...
My apologies for misinterpreting. No, unfortunately after the South Carolina game, I knew where the Wisconsin game was headed. But I think tonight the guys will be ready to play. Even though UConn is not good, they are still UConn. Our players will be much more amped up for this game in the Garden than our rebound game vs a bad North Florida team. This game is crucial, I would assume they know this.