Incremental Improvement Year to Year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Incremental Improvement Year to Year

In 2016 SU was 32 in the country in penalties per game. It’s been worse since then. I’m not disputing that there have been a lot of penalties. But first year starters to contribute to that standard. Maybe trying to play fast has been more of the reason in other years.

I believe you are referring to the 2015/2016 season which I believe was SS last year as head coach. We have been horrible under DB every year.

I believe you are referring to the 2015/2016 season which I believe was SS last year as head coach. We have been horrible under DB every year.
According to what I saw on NCAA site:

2020 83

2019 104

2018 75

2017 123

2016 32

Job 1 next season is to restore competence to the offense and get at least 6 wins and a bowl appearance.

Job 2 is to do the same the following year so that our program can claim the first back-to-back bowl seasons under the same head coach since PAUL ALOYSIUS PASQUALONI.

Job 1 next season is to restore competence to the offense and get at least 6 wins and a bowl appearance.

Job 2 is to do the same the following year so that our program can claim the first back-to-back bowl seasons under the same head coach since PAUL ALOYSIUS PASQUALONI.

A lot will depend on what our roster looks like. Right now on paper it is hard to expect much more from this O than 2019. There wasn't a whole lot of competence there. We need a gigantic improvement to get to 6 Ws.

A lot will depend on what our roster looks like. Right now on paper it is hard to expect much more from this O than 2019. There wasn't a whole lot of competence there. We need a gigantic improvement to get to 6 Ws.
It's not hard to believe that a healthy offensive line gives us reason to expect more.

Hasn't happened in this century right?

That's kind of a long time, in college football terms considering how easy bowl access is.

Hasn't happened in this century right?

That's kind of a long time, in college football terms considering how easy bowl access is.

Well, we did go to bowls in 2012 & 2013.

Some of the coaches from Marrone's staff were still here.

Well, we did go to bowls in 2012 & 2013.

Some of the coaches from Marrone's staff were still here.

2013.. I always forget about 2013. How could I forget that punt return and beating the formerly unbeatable Minnesota.

Google, powered by Xtreme.

2013.. I always forget about 2013. How could I forget that punt return and beating the formerly unbeatable Minnesota.

And if I remember correctly, Jerry Kill was on the sidelines.

1606318796544.png

Check out that foreshadowing with Middle Tennessee on the ticker.
DUDE! That's all I got to say about that.....

Hunt was a player who really just had some crappy luck. I know his injury gave way to freshman Dungey. But that 4-8 season could have been so much more had we had both of those guys all season.

It's not hard to believe that a healthy offensive line gives us reason to expect more.

Agreed. A healthy OL, and competition between Tommy / Morgan / maybe Lamson, and I think the offense could make a big jump. Tucker is a stud, and I'm pleased with the development of Johnson / Queely. Need to incorporate the TEs more -- they are too talented to not be a big part of the offense.

These last few seasons makes me appreciate coach Boeheim for all these years off having good to great years.
CONSISTENCY

Agreed. A healthy OL, and competition between Tommy / Morgan / maybe Lamson, and I think the offense could make a big jump. Tucker is a stud, and I'm pleased with the development of Johnson / Queely. Need to incorporate the TEs more -- they are too talented to not be a big part of the offense.
"Relatively healthy" is the term I think we should keep in mind. OLmen get hurt, they just do. Someone is going to turn an ankle. Someone is going to hurt their shoulder. Someone is going to have a random, unreported 'lower body injury'. It is going to happen.

The key is that we need to have some semblance of depth to overcome the injuries that every OL in the country faces. If we have, say, 4 of our projected 5 starters playing regularly, and 3 of our top 5 backups playable, then there shouldn't be any excuses.

I don’t know how much better we’ll be next year but as I said in another thread (maybe this one, no idea) there’s no way we can be worse. As Otto said, the OL will be better. They could still be terrible and better than this year. The QB play will be better. I don’t know who the QB will be it can’t be worse than right now (I’m assuming it’s TD). So just those factors there’s now way we’re worse and you’d think at least 1-2 more wins next year is possible just by showing up. I don’t know that we get to 6, I haven’t seen anything that makes me think our ceiling isn’t 4-5 but w/OOC schedule I guess maybe 6.

Agree with most of that. There are possibilities for the OL with Bleich, Red, Ilaoa.
I am not convinced our TEs are anything great. Between them they have a dozen catches for 110 yards, and possibly one memorable play. I know they are needed in pass protection, limited by Devito’s locking in, but they seem very ordinary.

Hunt was a player who really just had some crappy luck. I know his injury gave way to freshman Dungey. But that 4-8 season could have been so much more had we had both of those guys all season.

I'll never forget the 2015 Fan Fest in August. I was legitimately excited because we had two QBs that were competing with each other. Nobody knew who Eric Dungey was but after that open practice there was a lot of excitement. That is what we need going in to next year. We need a legitimate QB competition to get everyone fired up again.

Baber's 24-34 through last weeks game. If you disregard the 10-2 season, his record is 14-31 (after the L'ville game). His 10-2 season had a bunch of HCSS players as seniors on both sides of the ball. At Eastern Illinois, Babers inherited Sophs, Jrs, Seniors with experience. Two years later he goes to Bowling Green in has the same situation inheriting Sophs, Jrs, Seniors.

Every years we seem to have stupid penalties, injury issues, depth problems, questionable coaching calls. Babers seems to have deemed Devito the savior. I bet opposing coaches told QB recruits that if they went to Syracuse they would sit behind Devito as he was the chosen one at QB. Babers showed too much loyalty to his BG coaches he brought with them when they where not getting the job done. Where's the emotion of Babers on the sidelines ? Rah Rah speeches in the locker room don't always translate onto the field. Sure he's had a couple of upset wins. But Greg Robinson beat Notre Dame.

Where is the Incremental Improvement Year to Year that you can measure progress and success ?

If Babers has a 8-4, 7-5, 6-6 season next year (2021), has SU turned the corner ? Should SU extend Babers. The downside is if we have the above scenario, extend Babers, and the the following season (2022) SU has a losing season, SU is in a bind.

We are playing a lot of Freshman, but so are other programs. And while we'll have Seniors that can come back next year, so will other programs. All teams are dealing with Covid. Improvement can only come thru recruiting and we lag behind in that area. Lots of excuses, but location is not one of them. Explains Boise State. For that matter North Dakota State in a level below us and has recruited two great QBs. Caron Wentz was a first round pick, and Mel Kiper is projecting the same for the current QB at NDS: Trey Lance. Recruiting can be done with the right coaches, the right approach, and with alumni assistance.

But Where is the Incremental Improvement Year to Year. So far the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming freight train and that freight train doesn't have a SU logo on it.
Are you going to sit there and really tell me that location has nothing to do with recruits Wanting to come to Syracuse? Are you kidding me of course it does

Are you going to sit there and really tell me that location has nothing to do with recruits Wanting to come to Syracuse? Are you kidding me of course it does
I used to live in Columbus Ohio where obviously Ohio State Plays, I actually helped when they did the addition on the shoe in 1999, but Columbus and you could say Austin were Texas plays for that matter, those are really great and intriguing places to live if I was recruit I would really look hard at that! So you can’t say the location doesn’t have any affect and weather because I know that’s pretty much what people mean when they say location when it comes to Syracuse, weather does have an effect because it’s so drastic here When it comes to that. Now if we have a winter like we did last year I don’t think it be much of a factor as it is usually.

With the out of conference schedule liberty, Rutgers, army, fcs and acc play it may be difficult to get six wins.
I am concerned that even when healthy OL will not be effective. We have not had a solid OL since DB came. Some people may point to 2018 but ED hid a lot of the problems on that line. Look what happened against ND when TD played.
Another thing is that I keep hearing with a healthy OL TD will be the difference maker. Not sure I buy into that narrative. We cannot win consistently constantly throwing the deep ball or focusing on one primary target.
For a real improvement we need to go into the transfer portal. We need a true center, OT, 2 NT and a qb. If they have another scholarship a tall physical wr. I know this is a wish list but I feel there are going to be numerous players entering the portal. SU will probably loose at least 5 players to the portal. As someone said previously we need someone to focus exclusively on mining the portal.

I used to live in Columbus Ohio where obviously Ohio State Plays, I actually helped when they did the addition on the shoe in 1999, but Columbus and you could say Austin were Texas plays for that matter, those are really great and intriguing places to live if I was recruit I would really look hard at that! So you can’t say the location doesn’t have any affect and weather because I know that’s pretty much what people mean when they say location when it comes to Syracuse, weather does have an effect because it’s so drastic here When it comes to that. Now if we have a winter like we did last year I don’t think it be much of a factor as it is usually.
Indiana University is called the new sunshine state

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom