Industry Sources: The New BE TV Contract Will be Substantially Below $155 Per Year | Syracusefan.com

Industry Sources: The New BE TV Contract Will be Substantially Below $155 Per Year

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This article, which says Boise State is slipping away and becoming the latest school to do the Big East Shuffle, has more bad news for the conference.

Last year the Big East turned down a nine-year, $1.4 billion deal ($155 million per year), which would have been worth about $14.3 million a year to the full members and about $3.2 million to the non-football members.

If the Big East's new deal is worth the same amount per year ($155 million) each school would receive a smaller amount than the deal the league turned down last year because there are now more members. Full members would receive about $11.4 million per year, football-only members Boise State and San Diego State would receive about $8.4 million annually and non-football members about $3 million a year.

Former CBS Sports president Neil Pilson recently told the New York Times he thought the Big East's deal would exceed the $155 million per year deal the league turned down last year. However, industry sources told CBSSports.com that they believe the Big East's new media rights will be worth substantially less than $155 million per year. That's because when the Big East starts negotiating, about $8 billion will have been spent on recent college football deals, so there won't be as much money available.

The ACC appears to have taken most of the cash off the table.

man - that's a huge hit of ($200k)/year to the basketball onlies :confused: - no wonder they don't give a what happens to the football schools

The other thing is that IF they even get a new contract you better believe it will have a renegotiate down clause every time another school leaves (cue the Ville and BSU).

I hope to see Marinara working curbside check in for Southwest the next time I fly through Providence. Dope.

The Bird in the Hand.

Thank you TGD.

Boy, are those 11 schools (minus Pitt, of course) who voted against last year's deal looking like schmucks now. SU voted for it. Others should have listened to TGD. Our conscience is clean. Enjoy purgatory, bball onlies.

You're holding back, let us know haw you REALLY feel. :)

Usually, I don't lash out like that, but was over on their board a couple days ago reading how they believe the BE contract will be close to our equal to the ACC contract. LMAO. Some went as far as predicting that SU/Pitt may change their mind or at least regret leaving. What a bunch of morons.

Usually, I don't lash out like that, but was over on their board a couple days ago reading how they believe the BE contract will be close to our equal to the ACC contract. LMAO. Some went as far as predicting that SU/Pitt may change their mind or at least regret leaving. What a bunch of morons.

I already regret leaving. We won't have RU to kick around anymore. ;)

Its time to let go...we are divorced. The moral thing was to stick with the 27 months and $10 million or was it $5 million to get out...but then TCU bailed for $5 million and no time to wait; WVU bailed with $20 million and immediate out...so if you spilt the difference we should be out by July '13 with no more than $10 million...HOWEVER, no longer being politically correct is called for; expediency in leaving is PRUDENT...follow the suit with Pitt and get out NO LATER THAN JULY '13..and no more than $5 million...or maybe 'Cuse will be the last team in the BE with a real place to go. Are we sheep, are we staying around for the final end? Since our leave announcement, the BE has treated 'Cuse as a non-member; no right to meet; no dollar revenues; nothing...
May we just go in peace or kicking and screaming but FREE 'Cuse now.

I was laughing because it was Rutgers. At least their fans, though delusional, love their team. Now if they could just get beyond that triple digit fan count...

Agree that teh New Big East contract is not likely to approach the ACC deal. It will be nicer than what they get now and may be more than ESPN offered last fall, but still significantly lower. Also, in the off-chance that they "could" get more than the ACC, I still do not see Syracuse or Pitt changing courses. Neither wants the headache that Syracuse has been dealing with for more than a decade trying for expansion and protecting football.

wow, i never knew the difference in money between the hoop onlies and football was that large. no wonder miami, vtech, bc, pitt, su and wvu bailed...the conf was run by a bunch of small minded providence folk who could not even comprehend the true landscape of college sports. they were in over the heads.

But wait, OrangePA and others have said adding Temple (Philly market), Houston and SMU (Texas market), SDS (Southern California market) were great moves by the BIG EAST and would result in a great and outstanding TV contract? He and others like him have been saying this for months. That the NEW Big East is great, won't die, and will have lots and lots of success with a great new TV deal. Does this news maybe imply those people were wrong? And that the new Big East adding all of these garbage schools will result in a garbage TV deal...like I (and others) have been saying. Hmmmm, interesting!

Every time I read the subject title of this thread I think to myself, "Man, I know the Big East is crappy, but $155 a year can't even feed a starving child in a third-world country..."