Injuries | Syracusefan.com

Injuries

anomander

Living Legend
Is anybody else sick of counting seasons as “lost” because of unsustainable amount of injuries? I’m starting to see a lot of posts again saying no team could deal with the amount of injuries we’ve had. Well sure that is true, but outside of a miraculous 2017 where we had very few injuries, this program has been a MASH unit on an annual basis. I think it’s 3 things.

1. It’s the nature of the sport. Football is a dangerous game. I don’t think a lot of people watch other games closely. Everybody deals with a ton of injuries. Maybe everyone on our level, but some are right there with us.

2. Physically over matched. I wouldn’t think this is a reason, but I’ve seen this same story too many times to not consider it a reason we suffer an unsustainable amount of injuries on an annual level.

3. bad luck. I believe you make your own luck so I really don’t buy into this 100% either. Maybe it’s the turf? I’d say maybe it’s the S&C , but we saw the same exact thing under the last 2 staffs. Maybe it’s the combination of all 3, but Who knows, we could just be cursed?

3. bad luck. I believe you make your own luck so I really don’t buy into this 100% either. Maybe it’s the turf? I’d say maybe it’s the S&C , but we saw the same exact thing under the last 2 staffs. Maybe it’s the combination of all 3, but Who knows, we could just be cursed?

Other than Pat Davis, no other OL has even set foot on the new turf.

This season wasn't ours from the outset. Players injured, seriously, before the season even started. 2 running backs deciding to "prepare for the NFL." All American safety freakishly hurt during warm ups. Other safety out. This season was just not meant to be

Is anybody else sick of counting seasons as “lost” because of unsustainable amount of injuries? I’m starting to see a lot of posts again saying no team could deal with the amount of injuries we’ve had. Well sure that is true, but outside of a miraculous 2017 where we had very few injuries, this program has been a MASH unit on an annual basis. I think it’s 3 things.

1. It’s the nature of the sport. Football is a dangerous game. I don’t think a lot of people watch other games closely. Everybody deals with a ton of injuries. Maybe everyone on our level, but some are right there with us.

2. Physically over matched. I wouldn’t think this is a reason, but I’ve seen this same story too many times to not consider it a reason we suffer an unsustainable amount of injuries on an annual level.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're overlooking a significant factor -- 2020 has been a lost year for spring practice, S&C, etc.

Players got sent home, they were unable to work out with coaches, many had to do makeshift lifting / workouts with whatever was readily available, etc. So it is no wonder that we've had a spike in injuries.

It would be easier to identify the issue if we actually knew what the issues (injuries) were. If everybody in a unit has the same injury then we can say maybe it is technique. If it is because we look way small than our opponents you can blame that on strength and conditioning. Or if these are happening in the weight room, etc. TD's injury is the nature of the game. Cisco is extremely bad luck. The rest is just speculation.

Players got sent home, they were unable to work out with coaches, many had to do makeshift lifting / workouts with whatever was readily available, etc. So it is no wonder that we've had a spike in injuries.
Everyone else had the same problems. And BYU looks awesome, Arkansas brought in Barry Odom and is thus far playing lights out defense, App State hasn't missed a beat with a new coach, BC seems to have adapted well to Hafley, etc.

Everyone else had the same problems. And BYU looks awesome, Arkansas brought in Barry Odom and is thus far playing lights out defense, App State hasn't missed a beat with a new coach, BC seems to have adapted well to Hafley, etc.

Sure they did. But BYU didn't have the same OL issues we had last year. It's the compound factor that is hurting us.

I am certainly tired of the excuses, from "all the injuries" to not having any film, etc., etc. Bottom line, as you mention, it's part of the game and all teams have to deal and overcome injuries. That's why recruiting, developing players and having adequate depth is imperative, something that has been a major fail on Dino's part now in year 5.

In regards to the physicality, it's very obvious (in my view) how small we are...from the most critical positions, the trenches, all the way to our skilled positions in receivers, tight ends, etc. Therefore, I don't think it's unreasonable to opine that our lack of physical prowess and being "physically over matched" isn't clearly a contributing factor.

I am certainly tired of the excuses, from "all the injuries" to not having any film, etc., etc. Bottom line, as you mention, it's part of the game and all teams have to deal and overcome injuries. That's why recruiting, developing players and having adequate depth is imperative, something that has been a major fail on Dino's part now in year 5.

In regards to the physicality, it's very obvious (in my view) how small we are...from the most critical positions, the trenches, all the way to our skilled positions in receivers, tight ends, etc. Therefore, I don't think it's unreasonable to opine that our lack of physical prowess and being "physically over matched" isn't certainly a contributing factor.
This should be easily confirmable. Has anyone compared our listed height/weight numbers on OL vs opponents' rosters?

The staff doesn’t get a pass last year for injuries since the roster wasn’t constructed as best as possible IMO

This year they get a pass since they literally have the bare number of players available to practice and play

You were doing fine on points 1 and 2. However, the prime rebuttal to #3 is named Terrell Hunt.

In regards to the physicality, it's very obvious (in my view) how small we are...from the most critical positions, the trenches, all the way to our skilled positions in receivers, tight ends, etc. Therefore, I don't think it's unreasonable to opine that our lack of physical prowess and being "physically over matched" isn't clearly a contributing factor.
I want to push back on this post a little. No former Syracuse coach has filled out a roster as nicely as Dino. Not Shafer, not Marrone, not Robinson. He has done it better than most everyone.

Are we small? Definitely at DT, and perhaps our slot guys ...but they are kinda supposed to be. Our TE's are not small by any standard. They pass the look test every time. If there's any glaring weakness, it's Dino's allergy to recruiting real DT's. And it's been proven time and time again it can be done at Syracuse

Are we injured because of more physical teams? Not really. Many of our injuries along the line happened before the season even started. Cisco got hurt during warm-ups. Coley? I don't know if he has set foot on the field yet.

Jordan, Linton, Cantin-Arku (got dinged-but he's as big of a linebacker we've had), Thompson got dinged (Freshman starter) all because of game action. And Tommy got hurt cuz someone fell on his foot, not because he got blasted by someone tougher

Injuries are obviously a huge issue this season. You can't teach brand new players to play as if they've been on the field for even 1 - 2 years. Top 10 teams can somewhat get away with this because of the type of talent they are able to recruit but that will never be us so it's a moot issue.

Over the last 5 years we've also played a number of teams that have started or needed to bring in their backup QB. I forget who we played maybe last year, their starting QB and RB were out for the game and they were still able to play as if there weren't any issues. I don't know that I recall us playing a backup QB that didn't come in and look at least competent enough to win the game if the rest of their team played well. Other teams players just seem better prepared from top to bottom.

But this all falls on the staff. Offensive line should have been targeted in recruiting from day 1. I follow the recruiting board, I know we tried to recruit linemen on both sides. It should have been, or should be, a much bigger priority every single year. The line makes everyone else on the fields job easier and can help to hide deficiencies in player abilities. Especially for the type of talent we are going to be able to recruit year in and year out. That's compounded with all the players getting on the field for the first time or with limited experience.

The board has been saying since the first couple of years. Once Dino gets "his guys" in here we'll start to be able to develop some depth. It's year 5 and we are 2 - 3 years away from possibly developing any serious depth. That's assuming we can recruit players we've struggled to recruit moving forward. We have a supposed offensive guru and we can't recruit QB's and we bring in a huge amount of WR recruits and for the proportion that commit we still don't have the talent at that position you would expect.
* Watching the Liberty game again I was impressed with some of the WR play, even with the drops. It's against Liberty though so it's hard to know how that equates against a real team.

The players themselves look unprepared and unsure of what they're doing at times. That's not this year, people have been mentioning that most years. TD's dad said the players aren't running the right routes a lot of times. That's been an issue since at least last year it seems but it's been an issue at a lot of positions. Again, that's on the coaching staff.

We also aren't seeing the jumps in improvement you would expect since these are DB's recruits now. We saw some improvement from the o-line at the end of last year but its hard to quantify because they were so bad to begin with. We don't know if they were actually going to be a functioning unit over the course of the year or not. Going from the worst football has ever seen to better than that, I don't know that that's a success.

Then you have the playcalling. The inability to make adjustments in certain games, the time management issues since year 1, mismanagement of timeouts, a system that if there's just okay talent our opponents seem to have no issues shutting down.

I don't know what all this means but when DB came here I didn't expect recruiting, especially on the offensive side to just be marginal. I expected to see more growth with his own recruits from year to year, some players have improved but I can't say the team as a whole improves greatly from year to year. I expected that even in losses the offensive would be fun to watch. The offense is better than it was in the past but our offensive history overall isn't some amazing stat line. Even in the years we were gaining a ton of yards we still struggled to score. This offense is hard to watch sometimes, I can't blame the players for that in year 5, dropped balls or no dropped balls.

I just don't see where this team is going. I get that a program that won't be in the top 25 in recruiting will not follow a linear trajectory but what we have is one season that was special and the rest of the tenure has been a lot of "we're turning the corner" talk.

How many of our OL were injured in the offseason or in practice?

I want to push back on this post a little. No former Syracuse coach has filled out a roster as nicely as Dino. Not Shafer, not Marrone, not Robinson. He has done it better than most everyone.

Are we small? Definitely at DT, and perhaps our slot guys ...but they are kinda supposed to be. Our TE's are not small by any standard. They pass the look test every time. If there's any glaring weakness, it's Dino's allergy to recruiting real DT's. And it's been proven time and time again it can be done at Syracuse

Are we injured because of more physical teams? Not really. Many of our injuries along the line happened before the season even started. Cisco got hurt during warm-ups. Coley? I don't know if he has set foot on the field yet.

Jordan, Linton, Cantin-Arku (got dinged-but he's as big of a linebacker we've had), Thompson got dinged (Freshman starter) all because of game action. And Tommy got hurt cuz someone fell on his foot, not because he got blasted by someone tougher
I can only assume your fandom goes back about 15 years because from about 1985 to 2001 we had fuller rosters and some big LBs (not as tall necessarily, but certainly thicker).

Injuries are obviously a huge issue this season. You can't teach brand new players to play as if they've been on the field for even 1 - 2 years. Top 10 teams can somewhat get away with this because of the type of talent they are able to recruit but that will never be us so it's a moot issue.

Over the last 5 years we've also played a number of teams that have started or needed to bring in their backup QB. I forget who we played maybe last year, their starting QB and RB were out for the game and they were still able to play as if there weren't any issues. I don't know that I recall us playing a backup QB that didn't come in and look at least competent enough to win the game if the rest of their team played well. Other teams players just seem better prepared from top to bottom.

But this all falls on the staff. Offensive line should have been targeted in recruiting from day 1. I follow the recruiting board, I know we tried to recruit linemen on both sides. It should have been, or should be, a much bigger priority every single year. The line makes everyone else on the fields job easier and can help to hide deficiencies in player abilities. Especially for the type of talent we are going to be able to recruit year in and year out. That's compounded with all the players getting on the field for the first time or with limited experience.

The board has been saying since the first couple of years. Once Dino gets "his guys" in here we'll start to be able to develop some depth. It's year 5 and we are 2 - 3 years away from possibly developing any serious depth. That's assuming we can recruit players we've struggled to recruit moving forward. We have a supposed offensive guru and we can't recruit QB's and we bring in a huge amount of WR recruits and for the proportion that commit we still don't have the talent at that position you would expect.
* Watching the Liberty game again I was impressed with some of the WR play, even with the drops. It's against Liberty though so it's hard to know how that equates against a real team.

The players themselves look unprepared and unsure of what they're doing at times. That's not this year, people have been mentioning that most years. TD's dad said the players aren't running the right routes a lot of times. That's been an issue since at least last year it seems but it's been an issue at a lot of positions. Again, that's on the coaching staff.

We also aren't seeing the jumps in improvement you would expect since these are DB's recruits now. We saw some improvement from the o-line at the end of last year but its hard to quantify because they were so bad to begin with. We don't know if they were actually going to be a functioning unit over the course of the year or not. Going from the worst football has ever seen to better than that, I don't know that that's a success.

Then you have the playcalling. The inability to make adjustments in certain games, the time management issues since year 1, mismanagement of timeouts, a system that if there's just okay talent our opponents seem to have no issues shutting down.

I don't know what all this means but when DB came here I didn't expect recruiting, especially on the offensive side to just be marginal. I expected to see more growth with his own recruits from year to year, some players have improved but I can't say the team as a whole improves greatly from year to year. I expected that even in losses the offensive would be fun to watch. The offense is better than it was in the past but our offensive history overall isn't some amazing stat line. Even in the years we were gaining a ton of yards we still struggled to score. This offense is hard to watch sometimes, I can't blame the players for that in year 5, dropped balls or no dropped balls.

I just don't see where this team is going. I get that a program that won't be in the top 25 in recruiting will not follow a linear trajectory but what we have is one season that was special and the rest of the tenure has been a lot of "we're turning the corner" talk.

Tommy DeVito 2018 to answer the QB question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom