Inside Lacrosse Recruit Rankings 2018-19 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Inside Lacrosse Recruit Rankings 2018-19

Where is Max Verch, Syosset, NY
Last fall, both IL and Ty Xanders had Verch ranked in the 60's.
This Spring, he made Newsday's All-Long Island team and was named a US HS All-American from Nassau. He is even 2nd team on that All-NY team. So it looks like his level of play was strong this past Spring.

I think Ty Xanders must have dropped his index cards on the floor and Verch's card slipped under and old pizza box. :)

Last edited:
Isn't it more than a little disturbing that we do not have a top 40 defense or face-off recruit? Obviously Ty Xanders' lists are not the end all be all but you would think we would be on there somewhere. Especially the FOGO list where we really need somebody and the stats can tell a lot of the story.

*EDIT* - It's only a list of 20 FOGOs. But still rather disturbing.

Isn't it more than a little disturbing that we do not have a top 40 defense or face-off recruit? Obviously Ty Xanders' lists are not the end all be all but you would think we would be on there somewhere. Especially the FOGO list where we really need somebody and the stats can tell a lot of the story.

SU is overloaded with poles right now, this list also doesn't take into account Jerry Staats or Fernandez who will be red-shirt based on his injury last year. I do know that SU didn't recruit defensive heavily in this class but has a few guys they like for next year.

Max,

You know we love having you here, right?

Regarding Verch, I have never seen him play, however I would put VERY little stock in the NY All State team. Does anyone know how that works? How do players get nominated and who votes? 1st team all long island is a nice accolade. Newsday says he an LSM. Is he dynamic in the middle of the field, causing turnovers, scooping GBs and starting transition? That's what Xanders and IL like.

"Xanders must *have*"

Also, regarding defensemen in the class, Jack Kennedy was injured for a while I believe and we all like how Brett is doing at SU, so I would hold of on writing off Jack.

The lack of a face off guy in the top 20 is not good. I'm curious how the 2019 fogos are.

Also, regarding defensemen in the class, Jack Kennedy was injured for a while I believe and we all like how Brett is doing at SU, so I would hold of on writing off Jack.

The lack of a face off guy in the top 20 is not good. I'm curious how the 2019 fogos are.

I have heard good things about Aviles from someone who saw him this summer but as we all know its a crap shoot until they got on campus and go against other high end guys. Perhaps a guy like Thornton the only FOGO in this current class can surprise. Despite some improvement late in the year clearly FOGO is again a major ? and so is the potential depth at the position.

Not really, Thornton appears to be a good fogo prospect and our D recruits were off playing other sports rather than the club circuit . We shall see

I have heard good things about Aviles from someone who saw him this summer but as we all know its a crap shoot until they got on campus and go against other high end guys. Perhaps a guy like Thornton the only FOGO in this current class can surprise. Despite some improvement late in the year clearly FOGO is again a major ? and so is the potential depth at the position.
There is almost nothing on the web about Aviles. Considering he's coming from a Long Island powerhouse, I would expect something if he was a particularly good prospect, but nothing.

Glad to hear good things about him. You have to respect anyone making an impact for Ward Melville after their clobbering of West Genny this year. I absolutely love Fernandez and think he was made to play the wing on face-offs so it will be good to have him back. Definitely more concerned about face offs than the D but with these shot clock changes there is a chance that the value of winning them will be (at least slightly) reduced compared to the past.

There is almost nothing on the web about Aviles. Considering he's coming from a Long Island powerhouse, I would expect something if he was a particularly good prospect, but nothing.

I will double check to make sure he wasn't talking about Thornton but I was pretty sure he was talking about Aviles. Either way he was impressed with what he saw and this guy knows Lax. Hopefully between the two of them and the other FOGO in 2019 we have our guy for the future.

19' Talago is also good fogo prospect. Voted MVP for Dukes club that won recent tourney over Clams

I have higher hopes for Talago than Aviles. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Max,

You know we love having you here, right?

Regarding Verch, I have never seen him play, however I would put VERY little stock in the NY All State team. Does anyone know how that works? How do players get nominated and who votes? 1st team all long island is a nice accolade. Newsday says he an LSM. Is he dynamic in the middle of the field, causing turnovers, scooping GBs and starting transition? That's what Xanders and IL like.

"Xanders must *have*"

As I wrote, Xanders and Inside Lacrosse, both had Verch ranked in the 60's in the rising seniors last fall.
To put things in context, being in the top 40 defensemen is perhaps equivalent to being in the top 150 players, if even that, so he essentially dropped from the 60's to worse than 150.

Just stating an opinion on what looks anomalous to me, which contributes to the credibility of the authors of the ranking.

I am sorry my secretary was away from the office and didn't check my grammer. I will fix it to make you happy, although if you understood the meaning it probably didn't really matter. :)

As I wrote, Xanders and Inside Lacrosse, both had Verch ranked in the 60's in the rising seniors last fall.
To put things in context, being in the top 40 defensemen is perhaps equivalent to being in the top 150 players, if even that, so he essentially dropped from the 60's to worse than 150.

Just stating an opinion on what looks anomalous to me, which contributes to the credibility of the authors of the ranking.

I am sorry my secretary was away from the office and didn't check my grammer. I will fix it to make you happy, although if you understood the meaning it probably didn't really matter. :)
It wouldn't be the first time in an IL ranking where they just FORGOT about someone. You can see in some prior years they have to add a player as #82b in their top 100 incoming freshmen. I think Derek Maltz might've been one they forgot then added after the fact. You'd think they have enough eyes in house looking at it now to avoid such an occurrence.

However, for the purposes of our discussion, it's nice to try to figure out another reason why this might've happened. It's not very interesting for me to read any fan say, "Player X dropped from #___ to unranked. I think IL just forgot about him." It's a lot more interesting when discussing these things to try to figure out why this could HAVE happened. I mentioned some things that Xanders and IL look for in a defenseman. I've never seen Verch play. Do you have anything to add?

I couldn't really see reason for him to drop. No news of major injury, only positive stuff.

When you look at Max Verch's recruit page on Inside Lacrosse, it is rather empty:
Max Verch's Inside Lacrosse recruiting profile
Sort of like he is the forgotten man, and here they had him ranked in the 60's last fall.

I couldn't really see reason for him to drop. No news of major injury, only positive stuff.

When you look at Max Verch's recruit page on Inside Lacrosse, it is rather empty:
Max Verch's Inside Lacrosse recruiting profile
Sort of like he is the forgotten man, and here they had him ranked in the 60's last fall.
No reason to drop other than he's not as good as they originally thought, because they've almost never seen him play???

A lot of the recruiting pages are empty. How many kids have they actually evaluated? Maybe 80 per class?

Meaningless at this point, 18's will find where they truly stand soon enough . Listening to two parents of D1 kids from different teams last year the unranked is as good or arguably better but visibility limited to hs play. Parent of ranked yaps about summer costing over 10k for travel club circuit, attending sponsored events and privates etc then asks the other parent what they did with son. Response was priceless, kid made 4k working at beach restaurant, surfs on off days.

Meaningless at this point, 18's will find where they truly stand soon enough . Listening to two parents of D1 kids from different teams last year the unranked is as good or arguably better but visibility limited to hs play. Parent of ranked yaps about summer costing over 10k for travel club circuit, attending sponsored events and privates etc then asks the other parent what they did with son. Response was priceless, kid made 4k working at beach restaurant, surfs on off days.
It makes sense. IL and Xanders can't evaluate someone who they don't see play. And they don't get out much in the spring, so if a HS player isn't showing up every week on the club and Maverik/UA circuit, they may get overlooked.

Who knows with the Verch kid? If they had him ranked last year, then dropped him, it could mean they were told he was good so they ranked him, never actually saw him play or maybe saw him play 1-2 times when he wasn't great and dropped him.

No reason to drop other than he's not as good as they originally thought, because they've almost never seen him play???

A lot of the recruiting pages are empty. How many kids have they actually evaluated? Maybe 80 per class?

The 80 or so recruits who went regularly to their events.

Anyways, I have just pointed the details out and given my opinion upon it, and thought others might find it interesting. You are free to make up your own mind, although your replies seem a little weak to me.

Max Verch is coming to UMd this fall, and I will look at him as a very good recruit regardless of the lack of ranking. In general, I would look at any All Long Island player as a very good recruit. At UMd, we have an All-American defenseman, Curtis Corley, returning, who was not ranked at all by Inside Lacrosse.

Certainly, it is reasonable to be skeptical about the All-NY team. It seems to favor players on the winners, that is teams that went far in the state playoffs, along with seniors. But...is there not also good reason to be skeptical about the Inside Lacrosse's rankings?

The 80 or so recruits who went regularly to their events.

Anyways, I have just pointed the details out and given my opinion upon it, and thought others might find it interesting. You are free to make up your own mind, although your replies seem a little weak to me.

Max Verch is coming to UMd this fall, and I will look at him as a very good recruit regardless of the lack of ranking. In general, I would look at any All Long Island player as a very good recruit. At UMd, we have an All-American defenseman, Curtis Corley, returning, who was not ranked at all by Inside Lacrosse.

Certainly, it is reasonable to be skeptical about the All-NY team. It seems to favor players on the winners, that is teams that went far in the state playoffs, along with seniors. But...is there not also good reason to be skeptical about the Inside Lacrosse's rankings?
Not as weak as complaining about the drop in ranking of a recruit who you've never seen play. Your opinion was that they forgot him. Great, I look forward to future analysis from you.:rolleyes:

Maryland has been great lately, and I would have the same mindset you have regarding recruits that are coming in.

Not as weak as complaining about the drop in ranking of a recruit who you've never seen play. Your opinion was that they forgot him. Great, I look forward to future analysis from you.:rolleyes:

Maryland has been great lately, and I would have the same mindset you have regarding recruits that are coming in.

Come on now this guy seems to just find it kind of odd someone could drop so far so quickly while still making all Long Island, which is pretty odd. No need for the remark on his lack of ability to provide "analysis" based on that alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom