Inside Lacrosse Top 50 players for 2023

Zack80

Starter
40) Jack Boyden - Virginia
39) 39 Matt Knote - UMass
38) Andrew Geppert - UNC
37) Chris Kavanagh - Notre Dame
36) Tyler Carpenter - Duke
35) Sam English - Syracuse: "English ruptured his spleen vs. Syracuse last year and now suits up for the Orange as one of the jewels of the transfer portal. If the Canadian and multi-time summer box champion can shoot and score like he did in 2022 (30G, .385 shooting), that’s a dangerous added weapon for Syracuse."
34) Ben Ramsey - Notre Dame
33) Shane Knobloch - Rutgers
32) Richard Checo - Lehigh
31) Luke Wierman -Maryland

Some potential love for Will Mark, Olexo, Spallina, or Hiltz could be coming. Or they could all not be there. Hard to say. They seem to like some middle of the field guys on this list so maybe Jake Stevens makes an appearance. Either way these things are quite pointless but it is fun to critique...would probably have Knobloch a little lower on my own list.

I'm a little surprised to see Boyden on the list, but IL tends to like to support such moves.

I'd expect Mark, Spallina, and Hiltz, probably Stevens. We are getting sort of up there now with just 30 to go.

The Terps will probably just have McNaney and Zappitello.

We should see Spallina, Mark, Stevens. Maybe Hiltz. I'm surprised Chris Kavanagh is that low at #37.

Based on last years All American List, this is how the list could play out. I would be really surprised if Hiltz made the list, not that he shouldn't, but he was ranked in the 40s last year and had maybe a quieter than expected year last year. That and he wasn't an All American last year probably leaves him on the outside looking in.

I'm probably missing someone super obvious. This does seem like a silly exercise, perhaps doing a "trade value" column type thing would be more worthwhile. Or frame it as a player draft. It's really hard to say how Payton Cormier is a better say Michael Gianforcaro. But whatever.

Josh Zawada, Jacob Morin (Army), Will Colleti (Army), Adam Poitras (Loyola), Evan James (Loyola), Saam Olexo (Syracuse), Thomas Greenblatt (Ohio State), Braden Erksa (Maryland), Michael Boehm (Michigan), Scott Smith (Hopkins), Alec Sthathkis (Denver), Jake Piseno (Albany) are all players who were AA last year who could easily be on this list.

1. Brennan O'Neil - Duke
2. Conor Shellenberger - UVA
3. Pat Kavanagh - Notre Dame
4. CJ Kirst - Cornell
5. Matt Brandau - Yale
6. Liam Entemann - Notre Dame
7. Colter Mackesey - Princeton
8. Jack Fracyon - Penn State
9. Roy Meyer - BU
10. Ajax Zappitello - Maryland
11. Eric Dobson - Notre Dame
12. Beau Pederson - Michigan
13. Alex Vardaro - Georgetown
14. TJ Malone - Penn State
15. Graham Bundy - Georgetown
16. Will Mark - Syracuse
17. Payton Cormier - UVA
18. Joey Spallina - Syracuse
19. Dyson Williams - Duke
20. Jake Stevens - Syracuse
21. Evan Plunkett - Army
22. Mike Gianforcaro - Princeton
23. Jake Naso - Duke
24. AJ Pilate - Army
25. Reece Burek - Army
26. Scott Cole - Lehigh
27. Chris Lyons - Yale
28. Mason Woodward - Marquette
29. Andrew McAdory - Duke

If English makes the list, then McNaney should make the list.

Kenny Brower is on the Duke roster

Michigans face-off man Wiefeldt had a .645 pct last season.

IL had Evan Plunkett at #41

My bad on Plunkett. I also said Coletti could make the list and he is number 50. Whoops.

Could easily see Brower on that list, though with all the Duke players I could see them wanting to spread the love around a bit.

I think they will pick an "outside the box" candidate. I think Piseno could make it as his game is a lot of fun to watch. I could also see them put Erksa on there as I think he's expected to have a big season and be the QB for the Terps offense. Top 30 seems like it might be high though.

EDIT - I am the worst as Piseno is already on the list at #49.

Last edited:
I think if Erksa were going to make the list it would have been out in the 40s.

Matt Traynor for PSU was actually a 3rd team AA midfielder, and is back for PSU.

30. Mason Woodward - Marquette
29. Logan McNaney - Maryland
28. Payton Cormier - Virginia
27. Beau Pederson - Michigan
26. Ross Scott - Rutgers
25. Jack Posey - Penn State
24. Graham Bundy - Georgetown
23. Joey Spallina - Syracuse: "What a debut season for Syracuse’s No. 22. Joey Spallina notched a balanced 68 points (36G, 32A) and was named an honorable mention IL All-American and the ACC Freshman of the Year. After a memorable summer of box lacrosse, expect that production to rise as a sophomore with more weapons surrounding him."
22. Michael Gianforcaro - Princeton
21. TJ Malone - Penn State

oh brother ross scott at 26th? 6 goals in his last 8 games...3 goals in all of big 10 play including the conference tournament...0 and 0 against a pathetic osu defense...42 pts on 24% shooting for a starting attackman...it is embarrassing to put a player like that anywhere near this list let alone ahead of the big dawg payton cormier. il needs to bring back ty xanders for this. this is bad. they get attached to certain guys and for some reason ross scott is one of those guys...guess it doesnt matter how bad he or rutgers was last year!

Seems very Princeton heavy. They went 8-7 last year in a down Ivy, and lost to us at home. I'm sure they are strong players, and look forward to seeing Stevens and English contribute, but they can't all be world beaters.

Seems very Princeton heavy. They went 8-7 last year in a down Ivy, and lost to us at home. I'm sure they are strong players, and look forward to seeing Stevens and English contribute, but they can't all be world beaters.
Their O was quality. D not so much. Having three guys from their defense in there already seems misguided, especially one of their long sticks like Pace Billings. Unit was bad and he only had 11 CTs. There are better out there. Beau Pederson is a high quality ssdm who belongs somewhere in the top 50. That is not a mistake.

Last edited:
It does seem a little strange to have Scott as high as #26 after an off year last year. Scott did score 75 pts two years ago - so he does have a lot of potential.

I am surprised we didn't see more Dukies in that grouping.

Looking at last years USILA All-American list

1st team: O'Neill, Kirst, Shellenberger, Kenny Brower, Roy Meyer, Jake Naso, Lian Entenmann
2nd team: Pat Kavanagh, Coulter Macksey, Ajax Zappitello, xGraham Bundy Jr., Alexander Vardaro, xShane Knobloch, Eric Dobson, xBeau Pederson, Jack Fracyon
3rd team: Matt Brandau, xTJ Malone, Chris Lyons, xMason Woodward, AJ Pilate, Matt Traynor, xBen Ramsey, xTyler Carpenter, xLuke Wierman, Justin Wietfeldt, Mathew Knote, Will Mark

There are 20 unselected there.

I can't really see selecting Ross Scott and leaving Michael Boehm off the team. Boehm had 73 points last year, 45 goals with a .455 sh%. Boehm has got to be in the top 20. Of course, Zawada had 65 points last season.

Looking at Cormier, he did score his 64 points in just 15 games played. Dyson Williams scored 65 points in 19 games played.

Last edited:

20. Scott Smith, Johns Hopkins
19. Jake Naso, Duke
18. Jack Fracyon, Penn State
17. Dyson Williams, Duke
16. Jake Stevens, Syracuse. A first-line midfielder with a Championship Weekend pedigree is a huge grab for Syracuse. He had more than 20 goals two years in a row for the Tigers, and he has Zach Currier-esque impact in the middle of the field, where he was second on the Tigers in groundballs (35)
15. Cole Kastner, Virginia
14. Roy Meyer, Boston U
13. Eric Dobson, Notre Dame
12. Andrew McAdorey, Duke
11. Kenny Brower, Duke

McAdory at 12…hmmmm. Personally would rather have a lot of these other guys on my team than him. 0 goals and 2 assists total in the final four. Think if you have a guy with the speed to match up with him he becomes not a massive factor. Would rather have a Williams or Cormier on my team. Heck even a guy like Melendez back in the 40s. Erksa Boehm or Zawada too, who are not even on here apparently. And it’s one spot but would for sure rather have Dobson on my team.

why is dyson williams so far ahead of payton cormier? theyre basically the same player except cormier's numbers are better on a per game basis, better shooting %, and when you watch the film you will see cormier is a more dynamic player, more capable to create on his own. if anything they should be ranked side by side not williams like 20 spots ahead...

why is dyson williams so far ahead of payton cormier? theyre basically the same player except cormier's numbers are better on a per game basis, better shooting %, and when you watch the film you will see cormier is a more dynamic player, more capable to create on his own. if anything they should be ranked side by side not williams like 20 spots ahead...

I'm guessing IL loves the idea of Williams being the first pick in the NLL draft. Plenty of very good NLL high draft picks were not the best field players, but it is a compelling storyline. I definitely don't agree with that line of thinking. I've long thought Cormier was one of the most underrated players in the game. FWIW, Cormier has 196 points over four years vs 172 for Williams over the same time frame.

I'm guessing IL loves the idea of Williams being the first pick in the NLL draft. Plenty of very good NLL high draft picks were not the best field players, but it is a compelling storyline. I definitely don't agree with that line of thinking. I've long thought Cormier was one of the most underrated players in the game. FWIW, Cormier has 196 points over four years vs 172 for Williams over the same time frame.
i mean, they're both the same player and they do it well. 11 spots is whatever. fodder. seems mostly it's just a big hurrah for duke this year than anything. 6 guys in the top 20 (assuming zawada)? macadorey @ 12?

the top 5 was leaked as o'neill, shell, kirst, entenmann and kav. zach u can prolly figure out the rest for us.

brandau, zawada, mackesy, zapp, who else? boehm? mark?

maybe olexo, vardaro, mark, schutz, others out of luck.

i mean, they're both the same player and they do it well. 11 spots is whatever. fodder. seems mostly it's just a big hurrah for duke this year than anything. 6 guys in the top 20 (assuming zawada)? macadorey @ 12?

the top 5 was leaked as o'neill, shell, kirst, entenmann and kav. zach u can prolly figure out the rest for us.

maybe olexo, vardaro, mark, schutz, others out of luck.
Jake Taylor maybe. ppg on the year was probably pretty high since he was hurt for a lot of the beginning. Was clutch in the final four

Jake Taylor maybe. ppg on the year was probably pretty high since he was hurt for a lot of the beginning. Was clutch in the final four
Actually scratch that maybe he wasnt hurt for all that long? Either way Taylor is good in a similar way to Williams. Maybe they left him out of the top 50 though

Chris Lyons had more points last year than Brandau, not sure he's top 10 material but seems crazy to leave him off the list all together (especially with Ross Scott on the list). Boehm and Mark both seem worthy, seems a pretty big oversight if one of those gets left off the list. I think Boehm and Mark make it. I don't think Zawada does.

Surprised Kirst leapfrogged Kavanagh. Perhaps IL is factoring in his injury for the upcoming season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom