Inside Lacrosse Top 50 players for 2023 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Inside Lacrosse Top 50 players for 2023

Chris Lyons had more points last year than Brandau, not sure he's top 10 material but seems crazy to leave him off the list all together (especially with Ross Scott on the list). Boehm and Mark both seem worthy, seems a pretty big oversight if one of those gets left off the list. I think Boehm and Mark make it. I don't think Zawada does.

Surprised Kirst leapfrogged Kavanagh. Perhaps IL is factoring in his injury for the upcoming season?
thanks, i meant to include lyons. the locks are likely brandau, mackesy and zapp. they're influencing me with their regard for dook, and it'd seem somehow they'd reward either boehm or zawada for michigan's late run last year. so i think it'll be at least one of those 2.

then there's @ least 4-5 guys it'd be a head scratcher they're nowhere to be found. oh, well. fodder.

It does make a ranking look rather poor when we are thinking of 8 or 9 players for the 6-10 rankings. It makes it obvious IL missed a few guys in their rankings.

I tend to feel that Brandau, Lyons, Zappitello, and Mackesy will be in the 6-10 range. I will guess Boehm for the last spot. Although Vardaro was a 2nd team AA.

Full List -

50) Will Coletti, Army
49) Jacob Piseno, Albany
48) Tommy Burke, OSU
47) Vince D'Alto, Boston U
46) Matt Collison, JHU
45) Pace Billings, Princeton
44) Brett Martin, JHU
43) Evan Plunkett, Army
42) Chayse Ierlann, JHU
41) Russell Melendez, JHU
40) Jack Boyden, Virginia
39) 39 Matt Knote, UMass
38) Andrew Geppert - UNC
37) Chris Kavanagh, Notre Dame
36) Tyler Carpenter,Duke
35) Sam English, Syracuse
34) Ben Ramsey, Notre Dame
33) Shane Knobloch, Rutgers
32) Richard Checo, Lehigh
31) Luke Wierman, Maryland
30. Mason Woodward, Marquette
29. Logan McNaney, Maryland
28. Payton Cormier, Virginia
27. Beau Pederson, Michigan
26. Ross Scott, Rutgers
25. Jack Posey, Penn State
24. Graham Bundy, Georgetown
23. Joey Spallina, Syracuse
22. Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton
21. TJ Malone, Penn State
20. Scott Smith, Johns Hopkins
19. Jake Naso, Duke
18. Jack Fracyon, Penn State
17. Dyson Williams, Duke
16. Jake Stevens, Syracuse.
15. Cole Kastner, Virginia
14. Roy Meyer, Boston U
13. Eric Dobson, Notre Dame
12. Andrew McAdorey, Duke
11. Kenny Brower, Duke
10. Michael Boehm, Michigan
9. Matt Brandau, Yale
8. Coulter Mackesy, Princeton
7. Alex Vardaro, Georgetown
6. Ajax Zappitello, Maryland
5. Pat Kavanagh, Notre Dame
4. Liam Entenmann, Notre Dame
3. CJ Kirst, Cornell
2. Connor Shellenberger, Virginia
1. Brennan O'Neill, Duke

By School
6 - Duke
5 - Hopkins, Notre Dame
4 - UVA, Maryland
3, Maryland, Penn State, Princeton, Syracuse
2 - Army, Boston U, Georgetown, Michigan, Rutgers
1 - Albany, Cornell, Lehigh, Marquette, Ohio State, UMass, UNC, Yale

I definitely think Will Mark should have made it. He was a third team all-american last year by IL's own estimation, yet they ranked two goalies (Knox and Gianforcaro) on this list who were HM.

7 attackmen in the top 10. i guess mvps and all -league guys in sports are generally leading scorers, but just seems a little silly for lacrosse. another tewaaraton list. attackmen get all the chicks.

no chris lyons is weird especially when u consider inside lacrosse's hard on for yale. maybe they are trying to shed that image. because youd think the player with the second most goals in the country is one of the top 50 players. he had 7 goals and 11 pts against cornell in the ivy tournament...4 goals vs gtown in the ncaas...hello?

7 attackmen in the top 10. i guess mvps and all -league guys in sports are generally leading scorers, but just seems a little silly for lacrosse. another tewaaraton list. attackmen get all the chicks.
A lot of top D-men finished up last year.

There seemed to be a lot of love for Hopkins. I would have put Will Mark in Ierlan's spot. Ierlan wasn't even on IL's AA team. Knote did have a .593 save pct.

Maybe they know Lyons is injured or something, but that seems like a large omission.

Justin Wietfeldt, Michigan was 3rd team USILA AA and had a .645 FO pct - that seems like a bad omission.

AJ Pilate Army and Matt Traynor PSU were both 3rd team All-Americans, which seem like bad omissions also.

Besides Erksa, another attackman who had a nice freshman year was Matthew Minicus for Loyola, 33g-16a, 49 pts in 15 games. Minicus was injured at the end of the season. [ Loyola appears to be returning their top 5 scorers, those over 20 points, and their goalie Luke Staudt, although they lose star ssdm Rezanka. Look like a good choice to fill out a preseason top 20 with.]

Maybe they know Lyons is injured or something, but that seems like a large omission.

They included Posey who should be out for most if not all of the season following his ACL injury in the final four last year.

A lot of top D-men finished up last year.

There seemed to be a lot of love for Hopkins. I would have put Will Mark in Ierlan's spot. Ierlan wasn't even on IL's AA team. Knote did have a .593 save pct.

Justin Wietfeldt, Michigan was 3rd team USILA AA and had a .645 FO pct - that seems like a bad omission.

AJ Pilate Army and Matt Traynor PSU were both 3rd team All-Americans, which seem like bad omissions also.

Besides Erksa, another attackman who had a nice freshman year was Matthew Minicus for Loyola, 33g-16a, 49 pts in 15 games. Minicus was injured at the end of the season. [ Loyola appears to be returning their top 5 scorers, those over 20 points, and their goalie Luke Staudt, although they lose star ssdm Rezanka. Look like a good choice to fill out a preseason top 20 with.]
I agree that Will Mark should have been on the list. Entenmann is good but has had the benefit of playing behind a very talented and well coached defense every year he's been there. These lists are fun to look at but have their limitations. Knote was in a much weaker conference than Ierlan, Mark, Gianforcaro and Entenmann so his stats were inflated in my opinion and he should be lowest on the list.

I agree that Will Mark should have been on the list. Entenmann is good but has had the benefit of playing behind a very talented and well coached defense every year he's been there. These lists are fun to look at but have their limitations. Knote was in a much weaker conference than Ierlan, Mark, Gianforcaro and Entenmann so his stats were inflated in my opinion and he should be lowest on the list.
Of course, this may be good for Mark as not being on the list will piss him off and make him more motivated than ever to play well. I think there is a very good chance that the Cuse D will be significantly better than last year which will help Mark.

I tend to look at UMass's conference as being sort of towards the middle. They did fortify their schedule with Yale, Brown, Army, Boston U and Rutgers - and played Richmond a 2nd time. Knote's .593 sv pct was significantly higher than Mark's .542. Both were 3rd team USILA selections. People can take their pick between the two, but I think both were ahead of Ierlan.

What I object to is all the favoritism for Hopkins. Besides Ierlan,
Collison is certainly a very good player, but Matt Traynor scored more and was named 3rd team AA.
Martin was on both IL's and USILA's AA lists but so was Grant Haus
Scott Smith gets pushed all the way up to #20.

It is fair to note:
HIltz 53/15 = 3.53 points per game
Williams 65/19 = 3.42 points per game
McAdory 61/19 = 3.21 points per game
Perhaps Hiltz was a little assist laden at 24g-29a

Last edited:
Will Mark – Syracuse goalie – This one baffles my mind. You could argue that he’s the best goalie in the country. Playing behind a porous defense in 2023, the 6-4 inch flopper logged 868 minutes in goal, making 207 saves, averaging 13.8 per game. Mark stopped double-digit shots in 13 games, including a season-best 22 against Duke (March 5) and finished the season with a 54.2 save percentage. A Better supporting cast will have his trajectory pointing towards high All-American honors.

Owen Hiltz – SU attack – The lefty from north of the border scored 48 points as a freshman. He missed the 2022 season due to injury. In 2023 he had 53 points including 17 on the extra man where his passing is most potent. He’s got next level eyes and hands. I could also make a case for Orangeman Finn Thompson, a sophomore with enormous upside, who I expect to eclipse 50 points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom