Interesting article on the Carrier Dome | Syracusefan.com

Interesting article on the Carrier Dome

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Lately there has been much discussion about the Dome and it's future. Over the past 6 years there have been meetings to discuss replacing it and having a new location. I know because I attended some of those meetings. Can the Dome be retro-fitted to meet the demands of our future in the ACC? Will there be renovations to make possible an air-conditioned atmosphere for fans of the ACC who will travel better to our town than did the pathetic fan bases of most of our former Big East partners?

http://dailyorange.com/2006/12/name...the-dome-as-others-find-more-lucrative-deals/

The dome was built for $27 million. They got ten percent naming rights from Carrier. Now, you couldn't get a site study done for $27 million. Stadia are built for $500 million, and naming rights are still 10 percent.

SU didn't get such a a deal out of it.

It's not usually 10% for life though, is it? The dome naming deal was one of the first I've ever heard of, so I don't really blame either party that it wasn't perfect.

The dome was built for $27 million. They got ten percent naming rights from Carrier. Now, you couldn't get a site study done for $27 million. Stadia are built for $500 million, and naming rights are still 10 percent.

SU didn't get such a a deal out of it.

It's not usually 10% for life though, is it? The dome naming deal was one of the first I've ever heard of, so I don't really blame either party that it wasn't perfect.
You are right. It was very unique then for a college stadium to get a corporate name. In addition, Carrier really didn't get "naming rights" per se. The had the building named in honor of a gift just as many other buildings on the hill do (as the article says). This one was unusual for its corporate nature...especially on a stadium.

Thanks for posting this ...it is worth revisiting every now and then to put things into context and perspective.

You should read the first post about why it is referenced.

yeah - that REALLY helped.

abandon.gif

Lately there has been much discussion about the Dome and it's future. Over the past 6 years there have been meetings to discuss replacing it and having a new location. I know because I attended some of those meetings. Can the Dome be retro-fitted to meet the demands of our future in the ACC? Will there be renovations to make possible an air-conditioned atmosphere for fans of the ACC who will travel better to our town than did the pathetic fan bases of most of our former Big East partners?

http://dailyorange.com/2006/12/name...the-dome-as-others-find-more-lucrative-deals/
IMO, This is sorta like my wife wanting to add another bedroom to our house just because. I honestly don't see the need at this point to invest all tha money into speculation. Right now the dome is perfect for the basketball team and certainly meets the needs of the football team who has a tough time getting people in the seats. I believe they averaged about 38k last year. The mortgage is paid for! I say ride it until they see a Substantial need for a new facility. The one case I would argue for a new facility is if they add baseball and make a baseball/football type dome.

there is free wifi for the dome, last time you just had to register for it. and its not really built to handle 20K worth of users at once. it should be better with the new wifi stuff coming out now.

The issue isn't the domes wifi infrastructure not being up to snuff, it's that 40k users trying to ping off the same satellite above that fs up the service.

Same with the state fair.

First hits go to 4g, second go to 3G...those left over get the equivalent of an Internet busy signal.

The issue isn't the domes wifi infrastructure not being up to snuff, it's that 40k users trying to ping off the same satellite above that fs up the service.

Same with the state fair.

First hits go to 4g, second go to 3G...those left over get the equivalent of an Internet busy signal.

yeah, um, I'm pretty sure they could fix this or at least improve it. I've been to plenty of other large stadiums for concerts and games and they don't seem to have the same problem.

They equipment they use to send out the WIFI signal allows for a certain # of people to be on it simultaneously. Better equipment = more users and faster speeds

there is free wifi for the dome, last time you just had to register for it. and its not really built to handle 20K worth of users at once. it should be better with the new wifi stuff coming out now.

I WAS WRONG!

images

Cisco has some equipment that can support 100,000 at a sporting event. I bet it's expensive:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...78/ps10981/ps11585/white_paper_c11-674354.pdf

It's not the satelite its the infrastructure.

You're not joking about it being expensive. Most medium size businesses have between $50,000-$100,000 in core networking equipment to support anywhere from 100 to 500 or so users. I can't imagine the type of core that would support 100,000 wifi users. You're talking a price tag in the millions. Gotta be.

From kickoff til about a half hour after the game ends there is no expectation of any type of cell signal inside Michigan Stadium.

Good to know for when we play at Michigan. :bang:

with all due respect, who the F is bringing a laptop to a sporting event???

and who the F needs to be 'connected' during said event???

granted, America can no longer go a few hours without checking on the babysitter to find out if Jr needs another baba or to find out if 'dave got the stuff', but i find it ridiculous.

and thats not a cny thing, its everywhere.

:confused::crazy::noidea::mad::bang:

Oh Lord

with all due respect, who the F is bringing a laptop to a sporting event???

and who the F needs to be 'connected' during said event???

granted, America can no longer go a few hours without checking on the babysitter to find out if Jr needs another baba or to find out if 'dave got the stuff', but i find it ridiculous.

and thats not a cny thing, its everywhere.

:confused::crazy::noidea::mad::bang:

Oh Lord

Laptop? You're kidding right? Let me guess, you're not very young are you?

Laptop? You're kidding right? Let me guess, you're not very young are you?

I gave up dragging my PC up to the Dome a couple of years ago. Couldn't get past the security screeners. Plus my wife kept bitching about carrying that 150 foot extension cord. :p