Interesting D rankings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting D rankings

Yeah, the defense was a bigger problem than the offense.

And that was not surprising since we had seven new starters on defense.

The offense was not a dynamo, but the D was the bigger problem.

That's good analysis. Is that because we ranked 65th in total defense and 90th in total offense?

My #1 biggest frustration last year was the consistent ability of our D to give up a 1st on 3rd and longs. I felt more comfortable on 3rd and 2 then I did on 3rd and 15. I would love to see the percentages but it seems like we had the worst 3rd down conversion rate on D in history last year. We could never ever get off the field. That combined with the other team consistently starting at the 45 yard line made for some fun games.

Yeah, that was really maddening. I think that was a communication issue in the secondary to some degree. I mean, really a soft zone should keep teams from converting 3rd-and-10+ most of the time.

I take it you aren't a fan of the other team starting at their own 45 after every kickoff (unless it went OB of course)?

If ever a team should've tried the "f-it we're going to do onsides every time" theory that some stat geeks like, it should have been that one. There was seriously not point to actually kicking off. Maybe they could agree before the game to just give the ball to the opponent on the 40 instead of kicking off. Do you even think opponents would have taken that deal?

My #1 biggest frustration last year was the consistent ability of our D to give up a 1st on 3rd and longs. I felt more comfortable on 3rd and 2 then I did on 3rd and 15. I would love to see the percentages but it seems like we had the worst 3rd down conversion rate on D in history last year. We could never ever get off the field. That combined with the other team consistently starting at the 45 yard line made for some fun games.

I agree. I wish they had a stat for that. All I could find was overall 3rd down % which we were pretty bad at.

Maybe they could agree before the game to just give the ball to the opponent on the 40 instead of kicking off. Do you even think opponents would have taken that deal?

You would either have to be stupid or have a really, really bad return game to take that deal.

That's good analysis. Is that because we ranked 65th in total defense and 90th in total offense?

I really have no idea where we "ranked."

I watched in person almost every game - home and away.

Sorry, just don't have time today to argue this one.

I really have no idea where we "ranked."

I watched in person almost every game - home and away.

Sorry, just don't have time today to argue this one.

That's fine. I just think we need improvement across the board in all areas and honestly couldn't pick one over another. I'm also just curious how anyone could. I thought we made strides offensively, but have a looooong ways to go. Defensively we were pretty disastrous in many instances but we have some (brief) history of success here so perhaps there's more cause for optimism. Special teams make me cry in my sleep.

That's fine. I just think we need improvement across the board in all areas and honestly couldn't pick one over another. I'm also just curious how anyone could. I thought we made strides offensively, but have a looooong ways to go. Defensively we were pretty disastrous in many instances but we have some (brief) history of success here so perhaps there's more cause for optimism. Special teams make me cry in my sleep.
Defense went from top 15-20 in 2010 (causing turn-overs, getting sacks) to average in 2010 (big fall off in LB corps). Offense was a tad better, but not enough and still not very dynamic. STs -- real bad coverage teams in 2011. No nice way to say that.

We lost Chandler and Philip Thomas on D, but make up for that with experience in that LB group and more depth/experience overall if the injured guys come back strong. Maybe a good pass rusher from the JUCOs. Maybe some bulk at DT. So, yes -- cause for optimism that the D will keep us in games. It looks like we still have a run-first/possession pass offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom