Interesting Fact about B1G expansion | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Fact about B1G expansion

Alsacs

Living Legend
I got an email from my friend who went to Penn State who told me that in the B1G GOR agreement each team has to sign to the B1G office becomes null and void when the B1G expands. So, if the B1G decided to accept the applications of RU and UMD then the B1G would have to create a new GOR for all 14 teams thus if Penn State wanted out of the B1G then it could refuse to agree to a new GOR and COULD theoretically affect the B1G's expansion. That is assuming that the ACC sends feelers out to Penn State and they were interested in leaving the B1G. The reason it becomes null and void is because the terms of their agreement with the BTN change each school has an interest in the network and adding schools creates less ownership in the network and the B1G rightfully believes no school would leave the conference, but Penn State is different cause of their recent problems.

Why would PSU give up the money they are getting in the B10 to go to the ACC.

They hate the B1G office. First off, additionally to the NCAA penalties the B1G has decided to not to give them any bowl money, they also publicly censored Penn State for what happened. The Penn St alums hate that the conference is controlled by Michigan and Ohio State. I am not saying it will be easy to convince them, but Swofford needs to see what it will take to get Penn State call ESPN up and say listen if you want a conference that is worth something you committed money to you have to give us X to keep this conference afloat because you can bet Delany is going to take the B1G to the free market in 2016 and will look strongly at FOX to drive ESPN up more and have cause a reduced inventory with a split FOX/ESPN bid because FOX/News Corp own 49% of the BTN and when the B1G becomes available to think that FOX/News Corp won't use the fact they helped the B1G start up the BTN with a huge financial stake in the negotiations to get the B1G product on their networks as Fuel TV is being rebranded as FOX Sports 1 is probable to occur. Swofford HAS TO go ESPN and explain that the B1G will do this and that they need to go "all-in" and follow the Bush Doctrine and go for a pre-emptive strike before the ACC is killed off. If Swofford is as savvy as we think this HAS to be what he is doing or the ACC is in trouble.

They might want to start over agian in a new conference.

Just over a year ago, I believe most people would have said this is nuts. However, it is a very real possibility now, in my humple opinion. For me, the indication that the ACC was thinking about this is getting ND into the mix. I firmly believe ND said they would ONLY join in football if the ACC could also get Penn State. If the PSU alums are bitter about the league and want to highlight the academic prestige (Big 10's is good, ACC's is better), I could absolutely see the folsk in Happy Valley at least listening.

Of course one major issue now against my theory is that ND feels a LOT better about their role in college football as they are sitting on top of the rankings. But given the league 5 games and jumping into the ACC so quickly tells me they at least want to keep their options open with the ACC.

If the ACC gets Notre Dame and Penn State will we got to North/South divsions or will we stick with the Atlantic/Coastal crap?

Hypothetical, obviously, but how long before Pitt is invited if PSU leaves.

I can't see academia ever letting PSU leave the Big 10/12/14 unless football truly does run that university.

That is a good question and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't jump at this and get in instead of the Terps.

If the ACC gets Notre Dame and Penn State will we got to North/South divsions or will we stick with the Atlantic/Coastal crap?
Cart<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------horse

Makes sense. Definitely need Pennsylvania for any kind of East Coast push. And Pitt fits, academically, pretty well. Quick search says 28th largest endowment (10ish spots higher than PSU).

love that replace Maryland with West Virginia or Louisville

Obviously a condition to PSU joining would be the ACC school agreeing to a GOR and pledging 100% unity. PSU wouldn't leave the B1G just so a 2nd ACC school would jump in. The reason the ACC needs to pounce is this expansion nulls the only thing binding Penn State to the conference and it gives Penn State a little leverage when the school has none. Swofford needs to tell ESPN that the B1G has no loyalty to the network and will use News Corp/FOX to get more money than ESPN will want to pay. The BTN is trying to be a form of ESPN and without a K with ESPN after 2016 there be will less content for the network which mean means less $$$. for ESPN. While the ACC deal with ESPN is a good deal for ESPN it will be worth a lot less if the conference becomes the Big East 2.0 thus Swofford needs to tell ESPN spend 70 million more on us 5 million each school or the B1G will charge you A LOT MORE on the open market and will likely split the content with FOX. This is all about survival and the ACC needs to do whatever it takes to keep the school united and Penn State is the best option right now.

Can we please stop with the Maryland to BiG and PSU to ACC threads?

Maryland going to the BiG only further secures PSU remaining there. Our only hope, and it was an extremely small one to begin with at that, was for the ACC to remain intact, flourish somewhat on the football side, and then approach PSU about joining the ACC.

Also, for those looking for ND to rush in and "save" the day, this is the Irish we are talking about. I don't see that happening. But I've been wrong before.

Cheers,
Neil

Can we please stop with the Maryland to BiG and PSU to ACC threads?

Maryland going to the BiG only further secures PSU remaining there. Our only hope, and it was an extremely small one to begin with at that, was for the ACC to remain intact, flourish somewhat on the football side, and then approach PSU about joining the ACC.

Also, for those looking for ND to rush in and "save" the day, this is the Irish we are talking about. I don't see that happening. But I've been wrong before.

Cheers,
Neil
With all due respect, if you don't like this thread don't read it. I am not saying any of this will happen all I am stating some facts and mixing them with opinions. Swofford has to do his due diligence and see what we can do. If Penn St doesn't have a GOR binding them why shouldn't Swofford tamper with them and rattle the B1G's cage.

With all due respect, if you don't like this thread don't read it. I am not saying any of this will happen all I am stating some facts and mixing them with opinions. Swofford has to do his due diligence and see what we can do. If Penn St doesn't have a GOR binding them why shouldn't Swofford tamper with them and rattle the B1G's cage.

What makes you think he already hasn't and that this latest move by Delany is the Big Ten's response?

Cheers,
Neil

The rattling has already been done by Swofford and that is getting ND. The Big 10 wasn't going to move until they knew the Irish were no longer an option and this is their counter.

The rattling has already been done by Swofford and that is getting ND. The Big 10 wasn't going to move until they knew the Irish were no longer an option and this is their counter.

This is my thinking as well.

Separately, PSU has never had a consensus with being part of the B1G. There is no reason not to put out feelers, especially if they can get a deal for ND to come all in with them.

Good luck to Maryland playing in Iowa and Minnesota. I'm sure the Ath Dept will love that.

Separately, PSU has never had a consensus with being part of the B1G. There is no reason not to put out feelers, especially if they can get a deal for ND to come all in with them.

Good luck to Maryland playing in Iowa and Minnesota. I'm sure the Ath Dept will love that.

Yeah, the alum/fan base may have a problem with that one.

What makes you think he already hasn't and that this latest move by Delany is the Big Ten's response?

Cheers,
Neil
The reason is because Penn State was worthless to the ACC till 2027 with B1G GOR they signed in 2011 when Nebraska joined the conference. When the B1G has decided to expand again the conference must again get all schools to sign away there GOR because 2 more schools will get stakes in BTN. Swofford wouldn't have gotten Penn State without its GOR as they would be worthless to the ACC and add another mouth to feed. The ND move to the ACC rattled Delany's cage for sure. All Penn St's home games would still be the property of the B1G with them signing away their GOR, now that the B1G has expanded it reopens the GOR and gives Penn State some leverage they haven't had since the sanctions. Swofford should tamper with Penn St without its GOR and go to ESPN and explain to them that the B1G is going to sell its tier 1 rights in 2017 to the highest bidder.ESPN will not be the overwhelming favorite to get the rights because of the FOX/News Corp relationship with the BTN. Thus, if Swofford went to Penn State and ESPN explained that more money would work for Penn St and prevent the ACC from being destroyed this could happen.

The reason is because Penn State was worthless to the ACC till 2027 with B1G GOR they signed in 2011 when Nebraska joined the conference. When the B1G has decided to expand again the conference must again get all schools to sign away there GOR because 2 more schools will get stakes in BTN. Swofford won't have gotten Penn State without its GOR as they would be worthless to the ACC and add another mouth to feed. All Penn St's home games would still be the property of the B1G with them signing away their GOR, now that the B1G has expanded it reopens the GOR and gives Penn State some leverage they haven't had since the sanctions. Swofford should tamper with Penn St without its GOR and go to ESPN and explain to them that the B1G is going to sell its tier 1 rights in 2017 to the highest bidder.ESPN will not be the overwhelming favorite to get the rights because of the FOX/News Corp relationship with the BTN. Thus, if Swofford went to Penn State and ESPN explained that more money would work for Penn St and prevent the ACC from being destroyed this could happen.

As it was explained to me, the BiG doesn't truly have a GOR, at least not in the same sense as the Big 12's GOR. The BiG's GOR is in exchange for something. That something is an equity share in the BTN forever. That equity share, in terms of being an asset, is actually greater than the individual TV rights of any one institution in the Big Ten. So yes, theoretically, the BiG could keep any revenues PSU TV generates as a member of any conference through 2026, but then the Big Ten would have to pay PSU its share of the BTN forever and if they ever sold the BTN, PSU would get a share of that as well.

Cheers,
Neil

;)

As it was explained to me, the BiG doesn't truly have a GOR, at least not in the same sense as the Big 12's GOR. The BiG's GOR is in exchange for something. That something is an equity share in the BTN forever. That equity share, in terms of being an asset, is actually greater than the individual TV rights of any one institution in the Big Ten. So yes, theoretically, the BiG could keep any revenues PSU TV generates as a member of any conference through 2026, but then the Big Ten would have to pay PSU its share of the BTN forever and if they ever sold the BTN, PSU would get a share of that as well.

Cheers,
Neil
Negative, if PSU left the B1G, the B1G would own their TV rights till 2027 without their GOR. However, now that the BTN will have two more schools to buy into the conference the GOR agreement has to be agreed to again. I just hope Swofford goes to ESPN and explains the B1G's motives. This article sums up the exit fees.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...ew-exit-fee-punitive-or-par-for-the-course/2/