Interesting flight yesterday | Syracusefan.com

Interesting flight yesterday

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
I was up in Syracuse for the weekend to see some family and friends before graduation.

I flew back to Atlanta on the noon flight. I was flying stand by so I was the last person to board the flight. As I was boarding, I saw Doc Gross and his family getting on the plane in front of me. I thought, cool.

Then I make my way to my seat, and sure enough Boeheim is sitting just across the isle from me. He was exactly how you would think he would be. Quiet, a little snarky, reading a book, and falling asleep in the middle of reading (i snapped a funny pic, but i'll keep that off the board). I didnt get a chance to talk to him because i had the window seat and he was across the isle.

As we were taxiing he had a pretty lengthy convo with 1 of his kids about a baseball game. As we got to the gate he jumped right up and tried to cut some people off as we were a few min late and im guessing he had a tight connection. I caught a glimpse of his ticket as he was waiting to depart and im pretty sure he was going to Jax.

When I got off the plane, gross was waiting for his bag at the gate check area and as boeheim walked by him, gross started to chat and Boeheim didnt even slow down, said a word or 2 in response and kept going. Gross then responded as boeheim dusted right by him. It seemed pretty funny.

Both guys were sitting pretty deep in coach, which surprised me a little bit (i wonder what medallion status they are?). Neither of them were even on the upgrade list.

As an aside, I think I also saw Martin Lawrence sitting in 1st class. any chance he was in Cuse this wknd?

No pics or commentary about Julie?

there was no julie.

but some quick research shows the acc meetings are in amelia island today... which is very close to jax.

I didnt get the impression at all that gross (who was with fam) and boeheim (alone) were travelling together, but maybe i assume thats what they were doing.

I saw Doc Gross and his family getting on the plane in front of me. I thought, cool.

Did Dr. Gross end his dual cell phone conversations upon the first "please turn off all portable electronic devices" announcement, or did he wait until the flight attendant did their walk-thru to personally scold him?

:)

I'm sure all is true but explanations don't make sense. First you said JB was talking to one of his kids and then you said he was traveling alone? Also if both JB and Doc Gross were headed to JAX then why would JB need to rush off the plane while the Doc just waited for his oversized carry on?

I find the comment on frequent flyer status to be interesting though. I know the team flies charter but figured JB would have picked up some status on commercial during his recruiting trips. Does he ever actually go see a player any more or is that all Hopkins and team now?

I'm sure all is true but explanations don't make sense. First you said JB was talking to one of his kids and then you said he was traveling alone? Also if both JB and Doc Gross were headed to JAX then why would JB need to rush off the plane while the Doc just waited for his oversized carry on?

I find the comment on frequent flyer status to be interesting though. I know the team flies charter but figured JB would have picked up some status on commercial during his recruiting trips. Does he ever actually go see a player any more or is that all Hopkins and team now?

sorry, the lengthy convo was on the phone after we landed. That's why he had the convo while we were taxiing and not in the air. JB was alone.

I was up in Syracuse for the weekend to see some family and friends before graduation.

I flew back to Atlanta on the noon flight. I was flying stand by so I was the last person to board the flight. As I was boarding, I saw Doc Gross and his family getting on the plane in front of me. I thought, cool.

Then I make my way to my seat, and sure enough Boeheim is sitting just across the isle from me. He was exactly how you would think he would be. Quiet, a little snarky, reading a book, and falling asleep in the middle of reading (i snapped a funny pic, but i'll keep that off the board). I didnt get a chance to talk to him because i had the window seat and he was across the isle.

As we were taxiing he had a pretty lengthy convo with 1 of his kids about a baseball game. As we got to the gate he jumped right up and tried to cut some people off as we were a few min late and im guessing he had a tight connection. I caught a glimpse of his ticket as he was waiting to depart and im pretty sure he was going to Jax.

When I got off the plane, gross was waiting for his bag at the gate check area and as boeheim walked by him, gross started to chat and Boeheim didnt even slow down, said a word or 2 in response and kept going. Gross then responded as boeheim dusted right by him. It seemed pretty funny.

Both guys were sitting pretty deep in coach, which surprised me a little bit (i wonder what medallion status they are?). Neither of them were even on the upgrade list.

As an aside, I think I also saw Martin Lawrence sitting in 1st class. any chance he was in Cuse this wknd?

That whole account has a pretty creepy, stalker-like feel to it. You should be proud.

They were going to the ACC meetings. Renee Baumgartner was also going. I suspect she was on the same flight.

JB is really into his kids' sporting events, and he attends all that he can. His older son's basketball team just qualified for a national eighth grade tourney, and Jim is as proud of that as he would be if the SU team had won a big game.

I am surprised that more high profile people dont fly first class as well. I was on a flight about 3 years ago from Florida to Philly and sat in the first row of coach. I was in the middle seat of 3 and a very large man was sitting in the window seat. The aisle seat was unoccupied and I was hoping noone sat there as I was going to move over so I had more room. Right before the gate closed a guy came running onto the plane with a bag of Burger King food. Immediately I recognized his looks and his voice (as he spoke to a flight attendant when he got on board). Low and behold Vanilla Ice sits right next too me. Pretty funny.

I texted a buddy of mine before we took off to tell him and he told me to change my ring tone to Ice Ice Baby and then he would call me. I didnt think this guy would appreciate it so I decided against it but it would have funny.

They were going to the ACC meetings. Renee Baumgartner was also going. I suspect she was on the same flight.

JB is really into his kids' sporting events, and he attends all that he can. His older son's basketball team just qualified for a national eighth grade tourney, and Jim is as proud of that as he would be if the SU team had won a big game.

he may have actually been talking about basketball... i just assumed baseball because of season.

I texted a buddy of mine before we took off to tell him and he told me to change my ring tone to Ice Ice Baby and then he would call me. I didnt think this guy would appreciate it so I decided against it but it would have funny.

Rob freaking Van Winkle. That is amazing.

I fly a lot for work and have sat near the following people on a plane: Bill Russell, Franco Harris, Tito Ortiz and actor Luis Guzman, who you may not recognize by name but when you Google him you'll know him immediately. He was wearing like stained sweatpants on the plane.

I am surprised that more high profile people dont fly first class as well. I wsa on a flight about 3 years ago from Florida to Philly and sat in the first row of coach. I was in the middle seat of 3 and a very large man was sitting in the window seat. The aisle seat was unoccupied and I was hoping noone sat there as I was going to move over so I had more room. Right before the gate closed a guy came running onto the plane with a bag of Burger King food. Immediately I recognized his looks and his voice (as he spoke to a flight attendant when he got on board). Low and behold Vanilla Ice sits right next too me. Pretty funny.

They were obviously flying "on business" to Jacksonville which means the school was paying for the flights (but not for the kids). The school, like many employers, requires people to fly coach.

I fly a lot for work and have sat near the following people on a plane: Bill Russell, Franco Harris, Tito Ortiz and actor Luis Guzman, who you may not recognize by name but when you Google him you'll know him immediately. He was wearing like stained sweatpants on the plane.

Loved Luis Guzman in boogie nights.

Yeah, Luis Guzman is a great character actor...good roles in Boogie Nights, Carlito's Way, Traffic...

Luis Guzman has a house in Vermont so I see him from time to time in the airport here as well (currently in the airport actually). I travel for work a couple times a month as well but don't see a lot of famous folks on a plane. Flew on a flight from Boston to Portland with Lisa Loeb in the 90's. She was much cuter in person than I expected. Saw John Schneider in the airport bar in JFK a couple weeks ago. Looks a little ragged. I'm sure there have been more but can't think of any others right now.

Saw Bob Huggins waiting for his bag in Philly last year. He seemed angry the whole time.

That's great.

I have never flown near anyone famous. But I did once fly to England next to this woman who was so spectacularly gorgeous, that I didn't sleep the entire night flight. I was afraid I would slump over and drool on her shoulder.

I once sat next to Real Deal Holyfield on a flight from Chicago to Las Vegas! Sitting in the thick of coach. Even celebs have to connect on short notice and don't get good seats.

I am surprised that more high profile people dont fly first class as well. I was on a flight about 3 years ago from Florida to Philly and sat in the first row of coach. I was in the middle seat of 3 and a very large man was sitting in the window seat. The aisle seat was unoccupied and I was hoping noone sat there as I was going to move over so I had more room. Right before the gate closed a guy came running onto the plane with a bag of Burger King food. Immediately I recognized his looks and his voice (as he spoke to a flight attendant when he got on board). Low and behold Vanilla Ice sits right next too me. Pretty funny.

That's great!!

I used to fly all the time on business. I have sat next to Gus Johnson, Dick Schaap and Donald Trump. Trump was an axxhole, but the other two were really great and very friendly. Dick Schaap actually invited me to attend the Sports Reporters show (he was then hosting it), but sadly he died before I could take him up on his invitation.

I used to fly all the time on business. I have sat next to Gus Johnson, Dick Schaap and Donald Trump. Trump was an axxhole, but the other two were really great and very friendly. Dick Schaap actually invited me to attend the Sports Reporters show (he was then hosting it), but sadly he died before I could take him up on his invitation.

Great guy--a Cornellian!

Schaap was a great guy...and journalist.

I've seen a few famous folks on planes over the past few years. Most notably walked by Lovie Smith sitting in first from the Bears on my flight from Chicago to Tulsa. The great David Robinson from the Spurs was on my flight from DC to Dallas. He was back in coach which was funny to see a 7 footer so crammed into such a small space.

I sat diagonally in front of Rick Springfield on a flight back to Syracuse a couple years ago. He was playing Turning Stone. I was pretty hammered. There was a hot chick next to him and I turned to my wife and sing "How can i find a woman like that?" really loud.

My wife was so embarrased.

According to this youtube video, he heard me! haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom