Interesting Peter King comment today in his MMQB column | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Peter King comment today in his MMQB column

Marsh01

Living Legend
5. I think these sound like the top five college coaching candidates for NFL head coaching jobs, per chats with front office people in the last two weeks (in order):
1. Chip Kelly, Oregon
2. David Shaw, Stanford
3. Brian Kelly, Notre Dame
4. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (even coming off the bad season at Iowa, he's well-respected in the NFL)
5. Doug Marrone, Syracuse.

5. I think these sound like the top five college coaching candidates for NFL head coaching jobs, per chats with front office people in the last two weeks (in order):
1. Chip Kelly, Oregon
2. David Shaw, Stanford
4. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (even coming off the bad season at Iowa, he's well-respected in the NFL)
He missed Bill O'Brien of Penn State...

Doug wouldn't have made the list last year. Will he make it next year?

Doug was actually on a short list of NFL-HC candidates when he was with the Saints. The fact that he came to Syracuse shouldn't change it.

I think Chip Kelly brings an exciting aspect to the NFL but I don't understand, what makes him #1?

I read somewhere that when the Colts promoted Jim Caldwell to HC, they were also considering Marrone. Is that true?

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of DM and believe we hand picked a good one. That said, he hasnt demonstrated his ability to put together a whole season yet. Last year we lost the last 5. This year we won 5 of the last 6. Both years there was a massive turnaround mid-year, though not both were positive.

A year from now, this may be a moot point, but Doug shouldn't be on any NFL list right now. Besides, he still has more work to do here.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of DM and believe we hand picked a good one. That said, he hasnt demonstrated his ability to put together a whole season yet. Last year we lost the last 5. This year we won 5 of the last 6. Both years there was a massive turnaround mid-year, though not both were positive.

A year from now, this may be a moot point, but Doug shouldn't be on any NFL list right now. Besides, he still has more work to do here.

There wasn't a massive turnaround mid year. The left tackle came back from injury and they played better.

I don't think DM is going anywhere but if he did, I would say thank you and root for him wherever he went (except Dallas or the Eagles).

maybe we should keep that coaching candidate list pinned to the top after all. I will say this, if your HC leaves for Greener pastures, its becuase he has done an excellent job and left your school in good shape. Better than the alternative scenario for leaving (see BC NC State Purdue Auburn etc)

Marrone is Orange for life. This is his dream job and he will stay, no matter how much money is offered.

1. Chip Kelly, Oregon
2. David Shaw, Stanford

Ferentz is a weird one, IMO. I guess it's pretty tough to consistently win at Iowa given location and competition factors, but he was really good from 02-04 and then again in 08 and 09, but otherwise he's been largely a .500 coach. He's 100-74 overall and 59-52 in conference at Iowa. Good but I always hear him regarded as a prime NFL coaching candidate. Is he that good?

Peter King must be the only person that thinks Chip Kelly's offense could work in the NFL. I think I've heard a dozen "experts" and former players say his uptempo offense could only work with 18-24 year old players. When you take it to the NFL those 30 something won't be able to keep up.

Well yeah, because the NFL loves coaches that make questionable decisions on 4th down and aren't sure how to manage their timeouts.

Hey-o!

But seriously, good for coach if true. I agree with the sentiment that it's a good thing when your coach is doing a good enough job that other people want to hire them. Kudos to him.

Well yeah, because the NFL loves coaches that make questionable decisions on 4th down and aren't sure how to manage their timeouts.

Hey-o!

But seriously, good for coach if true. I agree with the sentiment that it's a good thing when your coach is doing a good enough job that other people want to hire them. Kudos to him.

All I ask is that he get us a 9 or 10 win season next year and if the NFL comes calling, so be it.

When you take it to the NFL those 30 something won't be able to keep up.
I'm on board for Kelly going to the NFL because I think he'll force change.

Those 30 somethings on defense won't be able to keep up either.

Peter King must be the only person that thinks Chip Kelly's offense could work in the NFL. I think I've heard a dozen "experts" and former players say his uptempo offense could only work with 18-24 year old players. When you take it to the NFL those 30 something won't be able to keep up.

Buffalo did pretty well back in the day with the K-gun, no huddle offense. It can work in the NFL...the problem will always be it puts tremendous wear and tear on your defense because they get 10 or so more snaps per game they need to defend against.

Marrone is Orange for life. This is his dream job and he will stay, no matter how much money is offered.

I love how people say this. Oh sure, he's "Orange for Life" until someone offers him a pro gig for $2.5m per year.

I'm not saying he's looking for the first train out of town...far from it. But to think he couldn't be swayed to leave is childish.

Yep, Tom Brady and Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd and Logan Mankins and all those other guys couldn't keep up.