Interesting question on Orange Nation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting question on Orange Nation

He has a contract with the Pistons, so we will see what happens.
So does him getting a two way contract with the Pistons say that those who said he isn't an "NBA talent" are wrong? Does the NBA give that kind of contract to guys who have no chance in making it?

Just read in the Swider post that most players with 2-way contracts get NBA minutes.

So does him getting a two way contract with the Pistons say that those who said he isn't an "NBA talent" are wrong? Does the NBA give that kind of contract to guys who have no chance in making it?

Just read in the Swider post that most players with 2-way contracts get NBA minutes.

Not really. “Nba talent” to me is someone who actually plays in the nba. Not makes an appearance.

Like do you consider James Southerland to be an nba talent and do you think he had an nba career? I don’t. He played like 4 games for a grand total of 3 minutes or something.

What the two way deal specifically with a young team like the pistons will do is give him the best opportunity possible to get a chance.

I think it’s two early in the history of the two way deal to suggest that the nba gives the deal to guys who they think will stick. Obviously Buddy has a special talent in shooting the ball. I’m sure the pistons are hoping they can get him up to par defensively and make the deal pay off.

top 5 in minutes and shots every season you'd hope he put up numbers.

I think both Buddy and Cole end up playing in the NBA. First there is not a lot of defense being played. They are both big for their positions and solid scorers. They will come off the bench make 3 to 5 3s and be done for the night. They will help a team win some games. They have the advantage of being smart and coachable. They both have nice 5 to 6 year careers then Buddy starts coaching.

When Buddy almost single handedly won 2 NCAAT games against solid competition, I think some NBA GM's thought, I can use that guy. I know many here weren't very impressed or maybe they can't see past his father.

Last time I watched NBA basketball I did not see much defense. Someone should be hugging Curry beyond the 3 pt Line if he gets by 2 pts is less than 3 pts.

Last time I watched NBA basketball I did not see much defense. Someone should be hugging Curry beyond the 3 pt Line if he gets by 2 pts is less than 3 pts.

The defensive player of the year was face guarding Curry at half court in the finals...so must have been quite a bit a go when you watched the nba.

This bad defense you guys are talking about simply doesn’t exist.

Listen to JJ Redick and Durant explain it...

Last edited:
The defensive player of the year was face guarding Curry at half court in the finals...so must have been quite a bit a go when you watched the nba.

Danny Schayes discusses this along with several other things:

Danny on Dolph

(go to 29:30)

I don’t watch the NBA anymore but I looked up Curry’s stats in the finals against the Celtics . He shot over 50% from 3 Hmmm.

I think both Buddy and Cole end up playing in the NBA. First there is not a lot of defense being played. They are both big for their positions and solid scorers. They will come off the bench make 3 to 5 3s and be done for the night. They will help a team win some games. They have the advantage of being smart and coachable. They both have nice 5 to 6 year careers then Buddy starts coaching.

The bolded statement is so profusely wrong. That's a huge misconception. The level of skill offensively is off the charts. Guys can play great defense and still give up 25-30 points because the difficulty of shots being made is something we've never seen.

I have been wondering, is Buddy a guy who can draw a similar comparison to Joe Harris? Harris was only a 3 star at the prep level and made an impact during his UVA years. His first 3 years in the NBA, he shot under .40% from three, and it wasn't until his 4th year in the league (2nd season with the Nets) where he shot over 40%.

Is there any reason Buddy couldn't evolve into this type of guy? It appears their 6'6" stature/physique is similar as well. Harris doesn't strike me as someone who has a ton of athleticism, and/or defensive prowess and he has stuck in the league now for 8 seasons.

Danny Schayes discusses this along with several other things:

Danny on Dolph

(go to 29:30)

Danny was discussing JJ comments on eras.

The video I posted had nothing to do with that other than JJ mentioned the college game still uses old sets and strategies which is easier to guard.

JJ and Durant were specifically discussing when college fans watch a college game where “great defense” is being played and because it’s low scoring as compared to the nba, which to them, suggests that nba players don’t play defense. It’s what we are seeing in this thread and happens on this board alot.

Danny was discussing JJ comments on eras.

The video I posted had nothing to do with that other than JJ mentioned the college game still uses old sets and strategies which is easier to guard.

JJ and Durant were specifically discussing when college fans watch a college game where “great defense” is being played and because it’s low scoring as compared to the nba, which to them, suggests that nba players don’t play defense. It’s what we are seeing in this thread and happens on this board alot.

Danny was discussing the defense being played in the NBA now. Are the rules significantly different than in college or have they essentially turned the NBA into college ball?

Whenever someone suggests that they don't play defense in the NBA, the first thing to do is to covert NBA scores to 40 minutes rather than 48. The second thing to do is to imagine how many points an NBA team would score on SU in 40 minutes.

Danny was discussing the defense being played in the NBA now. Are the rules significantly different than in college or have they essentially turned the NBA into college ball?

Whenever someone suggests that they don't play defense in the NBA, the first thing to do is to covert NBA scores to 40 minutes rather than 48. The second thing to do is to imagine how many points an NBA team would score on SU in 40 minutes.

The rules in the nba and college technically aren’t different, but the game is called much different.

I think the main thing as JJ and Danny mentioned is the spacing just makes it a different ball game. You see some teams like Baylor playing that way, but we still see a lot of old school sets and defenses in college which is what the video was pointing out.

I think the comment that JJ couldn’t play in the “old nba” is...interesting. Craig Hodges played years in the old nba standing there waiting to shoot. JJ couldn’t play with some dominating center waiting to get doubled?

Besides the defense thing, you should look up just how many players averaged 3.0 three pointers made per game this past year.

The NBA is very very hard to make.

There is no way either would not only make a roster, but then also average three 3 pointers a game.

I have been wondering, is Buddy a guy who can draw a similar comparison to Joe Harris? Harris was only a 3 star at the prep level and made an impact during his UVA years. His first 3 years in the NBA, he shot under .40% from three, and it wasn't until his 4th year in the league (2nd season with the Nets) where he shot over 40%.

Is there any reason Buddy couldn't evolve into this type of guy? It appears their 6'6" stature/physique is similar as well. Harris doesn't strike me as someone who has a ton of athleticism, and/or defensive prowess and he has stuck in the league now for 8 seasons.

Joe Harris shot 41% from 3 in college, Buddy shot 36%. One of those is very good, the other is perfectly fine. I like Buddy, he was a good college player, but everything else aside he simply isn't as good a shooter as the guys who made the NBA as pure shooters.

Doug McDermott, another coach's son who was a minus-defender but has stuck around in the NBA, was a 46% three-point shooter in college.

This has already been covered but this is absolutely incorrect. The level of offense is so absurdly good it makes people who aren’t paying enough attention think it’s all bad defense.

That would be Buddy's upside.

Joe Harris shot 41% from 3 in college, Buddy shot 36%. One of those is very good, the other is perfectly fine. I like Buddy, he was a good college player, but everything else aside he simply isn't as good a shooter as the guys who made the NBA as pure shooters.

Doug McDermott, another coach's son who was a minus-defender but has stuck around in the NBA, was a 46% three-point shooter in college.

Those are some numbers. Thanks, Walt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom