Interesting season so far | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting season so far

As we're just across the halfway point on the season, it's been an interesting one to date. We have no real quality wins (Oregon could end up that way, but they were shorthanded when we played them), no real bad losses (although that Virginia one looks worse by the day, especially how they lost it) and we have yet to lose a game at home.

What interests me the most, however, is that basically every single game we have played has been a blowout. 10 of our 12 wins have been by double digits (and another by 9 points) while all 5 of our losses has been by 15+ points. The only actual close game at the end was the massive comeback win against Colgate that we just squeaked out at the end. I don't really know what to do with this information - perhaps it's just a symptom of how the game is played these days and there just appears to be fewer close games across the sport. Anyway, it's an intriguing aspect to me of how the season has played out so far.

To be fair on Oregon- they’ve been on their winning streak to lead the PAC 12 with the same undermanned group we played against plus one other guy who is depth.

They’re not getting in without any, 1 would be tough. And that’s assuming we don’t lose to anyone we shouldn’t.
It’s happenstance. You win enough games in conference and ones likely going to be a quad 1 just by probability. Don’t win enough and you may not have a quad 1.

They’re not getting in without any, 1 would be tough. And that’s assuming we don’t lose to anyone we shouldn’t.

I don't believe a 21 win ACC team will not get in. We also have history of getting screwed once or twice with the bubble. I don't think they would "Florida State" us.

It’s happenstance. You win enough games in conference and ones likely going to be a quad 1 just by probability. Don’t win enough and you may not have a quad 1.
No team has made the tournament without them.

No, they just need to beat a bunch of good/not great teams remaining on our schedule.
If we go 9-5 down the stretch, were in.

10-4 is the number I think and getting a revenge win over UNC to punch our ticket. I also think getting to 17-5 and 8-3 in conference will get us in most brackets and we just have to ride that momentum. I’m very curious where 17-5 would put us in the Net. Something tells me it will only still be like in the 60s because margin of victory is playing such a role

That's why Red needs to make a decision that Q is the point guard when he is in the game.
Judah, and JJ are both better off the ball, especially in the 3 guard lineup.
Q actually looks to make a pass normally when he has the ball.
The problem is that we don't have an automatic bucket getter to go to in order to stop the other team's run. Needless to say... if this team had Jesse we would be a lock for the tournament because they could dump it to him to get an easy look. Getting easy looks consistently is the #1 problem for this team... with rebounding being problem 1A and Jesse goes a long way to solving both.

Against Pitt JJ had his midrange going so well... it was almost an easy/automatic bucket for him. Against inferior teams Mintz driving and getting fouled is basically an automatic bucket. Against inferior teams... Q getting the ball and doing something crazy with it to get an assist or a bucket or a foul is a pretty good bet. The problem is all of this falls apart when we play a good team because we can't just rely on superior athleticism.

I love what Autry and team has done... I'm basically back to making a Cuse game appointment viewing (as long as the other team doesn't have a number in front of their name). But I remain disappointed in the lack of creativity and structure on offense to get easy shots. It's gotten a bit better since the beginning of the season, but when the bottom falls out this team reverts to playground ball because they don't seem to have any go to sets beyond the weave.

No, they just need to beat a bunch of good/not great teams remaining on our schedule.
If we go 9-5 down the stretch, were in.

If there is not many chances to get that needed Quad 1 win(s), what does that say about the quality of teams in the ACC? That 9-5 hypothetical, how many of those 9 wins would in all actuality not be against "good" teams, but actually being objectively considered 'fair' or mediocre teams?

No team has made the tournament without them.
Because it’s likely near impossible to win enough games without getting one. I can assure you if we win one more game all year and it’s a quad 1, it won’t help

The problem is that we don't have an automatic bucket getter to go to in order to stop the other team's run. Needless to say... if this team had Jesse we would be a lock for the tournament because they could dump it to him to get an easy look. Getting easy looks consistently is the #1 problem for this team... with rebounding being problem 1A and Jesse goes a long way to solving both.

Against Pitt JJ had his midrange going so well... it was almost an easy/automatic bucket for him. Against inferior teams Mintz driving and getting fouled is basically an automatic bucket. Against inferior teams... Q getting the ball and doing something crazy with it to get an assist or a bucket or a foul is a pretty good bet. The problem is all of this falls apart when we play a good team because we can't just rely on superior athleticism.

I love what Autry and team has done... I'm basically back to making a Cuse game appointment viewing (as long as the other team doesn't have a number in front of their name). But I remain disappointed in the lack of creativity and structure on offense to get easy shots. It's gotten a bit better since the beginning of the season, but when the bottom falls out this team reverts to playground ball because they don't seem to have any go to sets beyond the weave.

If JJ can start producing consistently and Judah play off him and do the same our offense can improve a lot down the stretch. That’s simply not happened.

With that said our next 3 games we play teams with home court advantage that have also lacked having that second guy step up every game. We should be able to get those games( hopefully). Again not expecting anything but being able to beat teams essentially at the level we are because we are home.

As we're just across the halfway point on the season, it's been an interesting one to date. We have no real quality wins (Oregon could end up that way, but they were shorthanded when we played them), no real bad losses (although that Virginia one looks worse by the day, especially how they lost it) and we have yet to lose a game at home.

What interests me the most, however, is that basically every single game we have played has been a blowout. 10 of our 12 wins have been by double digits (and another by 9 points) while all 5 of our losses has been by 15+ points. The only actual close game at the end was the massive comeback win against Colgate that we just squeaked out at the end. I don't really know what to do with this information - perhaps it's just a symptom of how the game is played these days and there just appears to be fewer close games across the sport. Anyway, it's an intriguing aspect to me of how the season has played out so far.
Almost all of our wins have been exciting and well played, the losses have been really bad with the exception of the temm gane

Sounds like it would be an “end all be all” haha
Modern-day authors often have trouble with older idioms. I expect that's always been the case, and always will be.

I don't believe a 21 win ACC team will not get in. We also have history of getting screwed once or twice with the bubble. I don't think they would "Florida State" us.

Just last year, Clemson was 23-10 (14-6 in conference) and didn't make the tournament. Two years ago, Wake Forest went 23-9 (13-7 in conference) and did not make the tournament. A gaudy record means nothing if you have no quality wins, regardless of what conference you play in.

From a results perspective, you could say that this season has been extremely uninteresting. Until Pitt, we had won every game that we were expected to win and lost every game that we were expected to lose.

It is getting really interesting now because we are about learn if we are actually getting close to a corner to turn or if Pitt just stinks. I am excited for the next 8 days of Cuse hoop.

Just last year, Clemson was 23-10 (14-6 in conference) and didn't make the tournament. Two years ago, Wake Forest went 23-9 (13-7 in conference) and did not make the tournament. A gaudy record means nothing if you have no quality wins, regardless of what conference you play in.
Perspective on Clemson's scenario: 3 Quad 4 losses to teams in the 250+ NET range, and non-con strength of schedule in the 300s. Good wins are certainly needed along with record, but bad losses will derail an entire season. So far so good. Now the wins.

Who honestly can say they are disappointed with where the record is at this point in the first year? 12-5 and losses to teams they should lose to (not blown out but yes should lose). Beating pitt twice is big and winning by double digits In 10 of the games (thanks Op for posting that) has me quite encouraged. If they woulda got smacked at pitt, the fire alarm goes off. But it was actually the opposite. There are so many winnable games coming up. If anyone asked us would we take 12-5, 17 games in, there isn’t or shouldn’t be anyone that said they wouldn’t sign up for that. I didn’t think they would have a chance to win 20 games this year. And they have really good chance at that if not more.
The undefeated record in games decided by 10 points or less bodes well, I think.

If we take a single Q3/4 loss it is over. If we are only going to have one or two Q1 wins, we just cannot have any bad losses.

With the ACC being a pile of crap again, it would have been really nice to get a third opportunity against a non-Chaminade team in Hawaii.

We won't get treated badly because of JB, either. If anything, maybe Red gets some benefit of the doubt, especially if we improve over the rest of the year.

Yes, we've lost to the teams we "should" lose to. My concern is we've yet to see any mid-game adjustments made that had any effect as far as keeping those games competitive. The 2nd halves of those games have not been close.

I don't mind losing to better competition, but I would like to see a gameplan or in-game adjustment that keep things interesting. I want to believe we have a special coach, but beating the teams you're more talented than while getting crushed by those who are more talented than you doesn't suggest coaching is much of a factor.

but beating the teams you're more talented than while getting crushed by those who are more talented than you doesn't suggest coaching is much of a factor.
I'm not sure yet about Red as a coach, but... I don't think we're more talented than Pitt. I don't think we're more talented than Oregon. I don't think we're more talented than LSU.

Perspective on Clemson's scenario: 3 Quad 4 losses to teams in the 250+ NET range, and non-con strength of schedule in the 300s. Good wins are certainly needed along with record, but bad losses will derail an entire season. So far so good. Now the wins.

Yeah I was just responding to “no way” a 21 win ACC team gets left out. 21 wins means nothing without context.

Yes, we've lost to the teams we "should" lose to. My concern is we've yet to see any mid-game adjustments made that had any effect as far as keeping those games competitive. The 2nd halves of those games have not been close.

I don't mind losing to better competition, but I would like to see a gameplan or in-game adjustment that keep things interesting. I want to believe we have a special coach, but beating the teams you're more talented than while getting crushed by those who are more talented than you doesn't suggest coaching is much of a factor.

On another note there isn’t a player on this team that has been in a game where we have beaten one of those teams. Winning those big games has a cultural component. Hopefully maybe the dam will break when we get UNC back in the dome.

Honestly that's the problem that no one's talking about since we're all focused on getting Q1 wins. We have several games with the bottom of the ACC coming up, and none of them are guaranteed wins, not even Louisville or ND. We should win, but there's a very real chance we clean up the high Q2s and/or grab a low Q1 (not unc) and then spoil it by losing one of these games.

So Oregon got beat bad by Colorado. I challenge you to check out Colorado’s results and make any sense of them. There is no pattern. It’s complete randomness

So Oregon got beat bad by Colorado. I challenge you to check out Colorado’s results and make any sense of them. There is no pattern. It’s complete randomness
they were ranked pre and early season, fairly big expectations going into the year - not sure if there were injuries or just underachieving

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom