Interesting stat re University of Washington... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting stat re University of Washington...

bpo57

Living Legend
I apologize if this has been commented upon before here but UW currently has eight guys that average 14 minutes or more of PT this year and another two guys that average 7-8 min. Rather sharp departure from JB's philosophy.

I apologize if this has been commented upon before here but UW currently has eight guys that average 14 minutes or more of PT this year and another two guys that average 7-8 min. Rather sharp departure from JB's philosophy.

I've hammered JB on MPG all year, just to get that out of the way.

First, it's not apples to apples, we don't know for sure what Hop would do with our roster versus his current UW one.

With that said, I think MPG management and extended bench is one area where Hop would have broke from JB's tendencies. I think he would be more open to load management adjustments like they do in the NBA.

First, it's not apples to apples, we don't know for sure what Hop would do with our roster versus his current UW one.

With that said, I think MPG management and extended bench is one area where Hop would have broke from JB's tendencies. I think he would be more open to load management adjustments like they do in the NBA.
Who exactly would we be replacing Battle and Howard with?

We had 8 players to start the year.
Then lost Washington down to 7.

This year we have no choice with a short rotation. I wish we developed a bench as it would less the minutes on starters and keep them fresher and avoid fatigue over the season. This season we have no players to rotate.

However JB wants every win and doesn’t care about development once the season starts.
MH obviously isn’t a clone of JB. Hopefully the program gets more depth so these type of posts are relevant.

I'm not making the comparison to this year. Reasons for that are obvious. JB never in his entire history has used his bench like Hopkins has. Not saying it's right or wrong. Just pointing out the obvious shift in philosophy.

there were a lot of posters that didn't want Hopkins as the next coach. Now, he is treated as if he is John Wooden

Wow you guys really jump to conclusions.

Who exactly would we be replacing Battle and Howard with?

Per OP, that wasn't intent. However, my guess is that 1) Geno wouldn't have left and 2) even if he did, I think HoWa would have had more run earlier in the year.

For the front court, I think he would have used Moyer, Marek, Sid, PC, but also three guard lineups as well.

Wow you guys really jump to conclusions.
??? What are you talking about? No one was referring to you. maybe you should go back and read what was said about Hopkins last year and what has been said about him this year.

I
??? What are you talking about? No one was referring to you. maybe you should go back and read what was said about Hopkins last year and what has been said about him this year.

Then what did you mean with the John Wooden crack?

I

Then what did you mean with the John Wooden crack?
It means that there are posters that didn't want Hopkins and now act like he is John Wooden. Pretty obvious what I meant. Was anyone quoted in the post? No. There was a reason for that. and for the record, I have no idea how you felt about Hopkins being our next coach. I do know that I was in favor of it. And made that quite clear over the years.

Very simple point. Hopkins has gone 8-10 deep with his roster. I've been following JB for his entire career and he's never done that. Not saying Hopkins is right and JB is wrong. And I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS YEAR. Just pointing out a sharp philosophical departure.

Not really a departure from JB's philosophy. If he has 8 guys to play, he's played them.

It means that there are posters that didn't want Hopkins and now act like he is John Wooden. Pretty obvious what I meant. Was anyone quoted in the post? No. There was a reason for that. and for the record, I have no idea how you felt about Hopkins being our next coach. I do know that I was in favor of it. And made that quite clear over the years.

Well just for the record, I'm not one of those comparing Hopkins to John Wooden. Just making what I thought was a very simple and obvious point. But somehow the "defend JB instincts" by some (not quoting anybody btw) kick into gear when I wasn't even trying to be critical.

It means that there are posters that didn't want Hopkins and now act like he is John Wooden. Pretty obvious what I meant. Was anyone quoted in the post? No. There was a reason for that.
I still don’t want him as coach over JB. He’s having moderate success in a weak conference where none of the teams are familiar with the zone.

Very simple point. Hopkins has gone 8-10 deep with his roster. I've been following JB for his entire career and he's never done that. Not saying Hopkins is right and JB is wrong. And I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS YEAR. Just pointing out a sharp philosophical departure.
JB did play more guys early in his career. But the schedule was a ,lot lighter then. If you look back to the mid to late 70's when he started, you will find years when 8 or 9 guys played in 30 games or so. When we played Louisville down in Louisville in JB's first year, at one point in the game, we had 4 freshman in the game.

Not really a departure from JB's philosophy. If he has 8 guys to play, he's played them.

Oh c'mon get real. When in his history has he distributed PT like Hopkins has done this year? Very, very rarely if ever.

Well just for the record, I'm not one of those comparing Hopkins to John Wooden. Just making what I thought was a very simple and obvious point. But somehow the "defend JB instincts" by some (not quoting anybody btw) kick into gear when I wasn't even trying to be critical.
lol I really hope you are including me in the defend JB group. This week I was attacked for being anti jb.

lol I really hope you are including me in the defend JB group. This week I was attacked for being anti jb.

Just thought your Wooden comment was goofy. Don't know why you can't acknowledge the obvious.

JB did play more guys early in his career. But the schedule was a ,lot lighter then. If you look back to the mid to late 70's when he started, you will find years when 8 or 9 guys played in 30 games or so. When we played Louisville down in Louisville in JB's first year, at one point in the game, we had 4 freshman in the game.

That's true. It was also 40 years ago.

Oh c'mon get real. When in his history has he distributed PT like Hopkins has done this year? Very, very rarely if ever.
Just thought your Wooden comment was goofy. Don't know why you can't acknowledge the obvious.
Where was i disagreeing? I wasn't. I made an entirely different point and one that didn't refer to you at all. ???

Hops philosophy always has been to play more players. He feels that kids who don't expect to play in a given season do not work hard to improve.
A real test for Jb next year. With a front court of Bazley and OB, and we know how he hates to take stars off the floor, where do Marek and Moyer get minutes? He can run Carey, Howard and Hughes at the guard spots but how does Washington and Buddy (gulp) get any run at all?