Interesting tidbit-Wonder if it explains why Coyle let all of the assistants go | Syracusefan.com

Interesting tidbit-Wonder if it explains why Coyle let all of the assistants go

Status
Not open for further replies.
The longer this draws out, the riskier that is. If you've got your guy, great, if not, it could be an issue. The way this specific situation has been handled is the one thing that I have not liked about what Coyle has done so far as an AD. Everything else has been pretty solid. He'd get an A+ if the staff was already in place.

Would have liked him to keep a couple of guys on to help with the transition and then let the next guy decide if he wants to keep him.

Just courtesy to the new guy so he doesn't have to do it. Tells me new guy has his sraff.
Wish it did mean the new guy has his staff but I really doubt the new guy has any staff at all. Fairly soon we will not have a current head coach out there available or interested in SU. We will be down to coordinators who won't have much of a staff that will follow them.

Would have liked him to keep a couple of guys on to help with the transition and then let the next guy decide if he wants to keep him.

My only reaction is that what new HC wouldn't want carte blanche authority over the staff they work with? Being saddled with an incumbent staff would probably be a "con."

That doesn't mean that the new coach might not decide to keep an outgoing AC or two, if the circumstances are right. But to attract a coveted, new HC, I think you need that clean slate.

The longer this draws out, the riskier that is. If you've got your guy, great, if not, it could be an issue. The way this specific situation has been handled is the one thing that I have not liked about what Coyle has done so far as an AD. Everything else has been pretty solid. He'd get an A+ if the staff was already in place.

The problem is we knew it would draw out at least until Saturday. Nothing we could do about that.

But in fairness, if the guy is Dino, he couldn't have handled it any quicker.

In fairness, the guy wasn't Dino. And if you're going to fire somebody prior to the end of the season, you had better have your guys lined up. The recruits have been blowing in the wind longer than usual.

Now, I understand the situation with Dino. But, you should've known the timeline up front and at least waited another week to make the announement if that was the case.

And just to clarify my original point, the only thing I'm not a huge fan of is how he's handled the assistants. I understand timeframe's are maleable. But, I'm not giving him an A+, maybe an A or A- instead because of how the timeframe is changed.

Know your market, make your selection.

Isn't that decision part of a new coach's call not normally the AD's? Wonder if the new coach valued some continuity or liked one or more of the former staff? UCF's AD didn't make the call, Scott Frost did.

In fairness, the guy wasn't Dino. And if you're going to fire somebody prior to the end of the season, you had better have your guys lined up. The recruits have been blowing in the wind longer than usual.
Marrone was hired Dec. 11th. Other name withheld coach hired in January. At least for Syracuse, it's not necessarily longer than usual...yet.

Marrone was hired Dec. 11th. Other name withheld coach hired in January. At least for Syracuse, it's not necessarily longer than usual...yet.
I completely understand, but, it's not a good business model.

But in fairness, if the guy is Dino, he couldn't have handled it any quicker.

Yeah, I'm not sure we're really 'dragging' anything out. I would actually suggest that hiring the right guy is the key here. If it were an NFL guy and we had to wait until an exit from the playoffs I'd be OK with it as long as the guy we got was someone the administration truly felt was the right guy. I guess you never really know how it will play out, but I'm fine with waiting based on the notion that we want a specific guy.

Now, I understand the situation with Dino. But, you should've known the timeline up front and at least waited another week to make the announement if that was the case.

And just to clarify my original point, the only thing I'm not a huge fan of is how he's handled the assistants. I understand timeframe's are maleable. But, I'm not giving him an A+, maybe an A or A- instead because of how the timeframe is changed.

In fairness to the assistants themselves this is probably a plus for them. They have the opportunity to interview for other spots as well as us and aren't just sitting here talking to our recruits saying they don't know what's up either. They can get out and aggressively look out for themselves and not be completely stuck in an awkward situation.

Obviously this isn't optimal for SU because our recruits are left dangling out there without much direction from SU (except White/Dial/Coyle/Floyd) but it is probably in best interest for our assistants and maybe that is part of reason it was done that way.

In fairness to the assistants themselves this is probably a plus for them. They have the opportunity to interview for other spots as well as us and aren't just sitting here talking to our recruits saying they don't know what's up either. They can get out and aggressively look out for themselves and not be completely stuck in an awkward situation.

Obviously this isn't optimal for SU because our recruits are left dangling out there without much direction from SU (except White/Dial/Coyle/Floyd) but it is probably in best interest for our assistants and maybe that is part of reason it was done that way.

This is what I think...not doing them any favors to keep them around, especially with all the staffs that are being put together at the moment.

OburgCuse said:
In fairness to the assistants themselves this is probably a plus for them. They have the opportunity to interview for other spots as well as us and aren't just sitting here talking to our recruits saying they don't know what's up either. They can get out and aggressively look out for themselves and not be completely stuck in an awkward situation. Obviously this isn't optimal for SU because our recruits are left dangling out there without much direction from SU (except White/Dial/Coyle/Floyd) but it is probably in best interest for our assistants and maybe that is part of reason it was done that way.

Agree. They're going to feel like they're on death row. They'd basically be hanging around to job search.

You can't force existing staff on a new head coach. That's a model built to fail.

The only thing you can do is tell the staff that you'll guarantee the head coach will talk to them and make his own decision whether or not to offer them a role on his staff.

Even then, what would they be doing right now? Calling recruits and saying I don't know if I'll still be here?

Its been 3 days since the coaches left campus. Not 3 months. I think we should be okay. :) But yes lets see how it plays out.

Might the new coach decide to hire some of the staff that was recently let go?

Allows Shafer assistants to find new jobs while process continues.

When you say "this situation," do you mean the coaching change or releasing the old staff? If you mean the coaching change, what else has he done? (I'm not trying to argue - I just can't think of anything because he is so new)

I think the reason we haven't heard anything is because it is DB, and the AD is just respecting his request to wait until after the MAC Championship. Also, all the assistants were let go to give them opportunities elsewhere...but wouldn't be surprised if at least a few/some will have the chance to stay at Cuse...Actually I think this has pretty much been handled as well it could be based on the circumstances and if it is DB will happy/proud of the way it was handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.