Interesting tidbit-Wonder if it explains why Coyle let all of the assistants go | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting tidbit-Wonder if it explains why Coyle let all of the assistants go

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say "this situation," do you mean the coaching change or releasing the old staff? If you mean the coaching change, what else has he done? (I'm not trying to argue - I just can't think of anything because he is so new)
I mean how the releasing of the old staff was handled. I'm not talking about when they were let go, I'm talking about how they were let go and subsequently treated.

I mean how the releasing of the old staff was handled. I'm not talking about when they were let go, I'm talking about how they were let go and subsequently treated.
I've heard some rumors also.but only one side of them. I will reserve judgement until both sides make public statements.

I also don't know what was written in the contracts or when they start and end.

OburgOrange said:
Is Hicks still employed?

Yes

As a followup to one of the earlier posts, gerg was hiring after SU completely f-ed up a bowl game against GaTech, losing 51-14 or something similar. Had the game been more competitive, or even if SU wins, Pasqualoni is back. But he had to go after that. He was on borrowed time anyways and had only kept the job by beating BC in the season finale. Marrone was hired so early because gerg had already been dismissed with games still remaining in the season.

Kev

The next time someone here chastises today's younger generation as needing instant gratification I'm going to pull up posts from this week.

It's been 5 days since our last game. We're attempting to hire a coach that we hope will be here for at least several years. Recruits don't sign until February.

Deep breaths.

My only reaction is that what new HC wouldn't want carte blanche authority over the staff they work with? Being saddled with an incumbent staff would probably be a "con."

That doesn't mean that the new coach might not decide to keep an outgoing AC or two, if the circumstances are right. But to attract a coveted, new HC, I think you need that clean slate.
This is also in line with how the rest of the world handles transition. If a business is sold, it is standard practice to terminate the entire staff. The new company will then interview and reemploy the ones they want to keep.

From everything I've heard, they were treated very well. Normally, the AD fires the coach and lets him tell the staff. This guy sat down with the staff and the players and contacted the recruits. You're trolling. Please stop it.

From everything I've heard, they were treated very well. Normally, the AD fires the coach and lets him tell the staff. This guy sat down with the staff and the players and contacted the recruits. You're trolling. Please stop it.

Sit down with the staff is a bit of an overblown statement. According to Lester, Coyle told the staff. It took less than a minute. He probably didn't even have to take a breath in-between words!

Sit down with the staff is a bit of an overblown statement. According to Lester, Coyle told the staff. It took less than a minute. He probably didn't even have to take a breath in-between words!
Believe me that is the only way to do it. There are no words that can help. Everybody pretty much goes bank after the word is heard.

He doesn't troll and has very good connections with the former coaching staff. And you are incorrect in thinking it was a sit down with the staff. It was not. More like a there is the door, turn in your keys, etc and be out of here by Monday.

And this is not how it is done at most programs. Usually the staff is retained until the new coach is hired then it is up to the new coach to decide who stays or goes. This was heavy handed.

The timing of the move most assuredly made it seem like the outlier though. While yes usually a support staff is kept on, it's only been 4 business days since they were "asked/told" to be out. Aligns with reports that perhaps Monday was the original date to have someone new in house. Either way I don't think 4 days represents an insurmountable chasm of time.

I am in no way advocating or questioning he manner in which it happened just sort of rationalizing the decision.

This is the business we chose!
hqdefault.jpg

He doesn't troll and has very good connections with the former coaching staff. And you are incorrect in thinking it was a sit down with the staff. It was not. More like a there is the door, turn in your keys, etc and be out of here by Monday.
You're right, I wasn't there. When I referred to "sit down" I meant "met." Regardless, in business, these things are best left brief. I just don't think it does us any good to become advocates for the departing staff. I wish the best for them but, ultimately, I am an SU alum and I want my school to do well. In everything. It's does us no good to argue how "heavy handed" a firing is. They're always heavy handed to the person being fired. Let's support Coyle.

You're right, I wasn't there. When I referred to "sit down" I meant "met." Regardless, in business, these things are best left brief. I just don't think it does us any good to become advocates for the departing staff. I wish the best for them but, ultimately, I am an SU alum and I want my school to do well. In everything. It's does us no good to argue how "heavy handed" a firing is. They're always heavy handed to the person being fired. Let's support Coyle.
I did not respond last night because I wasn't sure how I wanted to. I can honestly say, I've been called alot of things in life, but, a troll has never been one. And, I deserved to be called alot of things, but, again, a troll is not one of them. And, I don't necessarily care by and large. But, that being said, I respect everybody's opinion, as well as yours.

If you read the entire thread, and even further back all of my remarks regarding Mark Coyle, you'd notice that I've been very complimentary of him. I do, as well as you, support him wholeheartedly. And, will continue to do so. I think between Syverud and Coyle, we have two very intelligent, very decisive people in administrative positions. That opionion has not swayed regardless of how this hiring/firing process has been handled.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been critical on here, of his firing practice, without relinquishing other details that I've heard about that are not public knowledge. That is an oversight on my part.

At the end of the day, we all bleed Orange and Blue man. That's why we're here. And I always will, regardless of who's representing those colors.

As always, Cuse! CUse! CUSE!

"At the end of the day, we all bleed Orange and Blue man. That's why we're here. And I always will, regardless of who's representing those colors."
Amen. War damn Otto!

As an alum and a business owner my opinion of the firing was that it was heavy handed. We will just have to agree to disagree on how we each perceive this as having been handled.

Believe me that is the only way to do it. There are no words that can help. Everybody pretty much goes bank after the word is heard.
Yeah. This has been my experience when letting someone go, especially when it's a known performance issue.

having watched a few masses firings its not a very good thing no matter how you do it.. at least they got a couple days to deal with it. watching the ones where people get handed a box and say you have 30 min is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.