Interesting Tweet on Eli | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Tweet on Eli

So, for those of us who don't watch, follow, or care about the NBA, what is the "the direction the NBA is going" that Elijah fits so well? Thanks.
NBA offenses are all either "4-out" or "5-out" offenses.

A 4-out offense has one man in the post and 4 guys around the perimeter. This started with the stretch 4, the center often comes up to set a pick lifting all defenders out of the lane.

A 5-out offense has all 5 player around the perimeter, the lane is completely open, there are still screens but no one is in the post and all 5 players have to be able to shot, drive and pass.

These offenses lead to lots of 3s and lots of layups but little else.

Neither one of them work well against zones and you are starting to see more zone in the NBA.

Near full-court threes are the new market inefficiency.
guys who can make 3s & play any position 1-4 (1-5 in houston)

NBA offenses are all either "4-out" or "5-out" offenses.

A 4-out offense has one man in the post and 4 guys around the perimeter. This started with the stretch 4, the center often comes up to set a pick lifting all defenders out of the lane.

A 5-out offense has all 5 player around the perimeter, the lane is completely open, there are still screens but no one is in the post and all 5 players have to be able to shot, drive and pass.

These offenses lead to lots of 3s and lots of layups but little else.

Neither one of them work well against zones and you are starting to see more zone in the NBA.
Thanks!

Gotta show he can be the alpha on a great team! Because that’s what the NBA will expect!!

Well, not disappearing for long stretches might help his cause.

He's going late first if he leaves this year. Will perform well in athletic tests at the combine to go along with his impressive numbers

He is going to be a solid Pro. Im excited to watch him as i think he will continue to improve.

“y’all keep chanting 1 more year, but college is supposed to be 4 years”. (Or something like that)
It's supposed to be 4 years AT SYRACUSE. ;)

I think his game is more NBA ready than Wes's was. Good enough handle. Excellent range, can play off the bounce. Competes. One of our better rounded prospects we will have put into the league. Whoever found him at ECU should get a raise.

I think his game is more NBA ready than Wes's was. Good enough handle. Excellent range, can play off the bounce. Competes. One of our better rounded prospects we will have put into the league. Whoever found him at ECU should get a raise.

Agree with this. He's also shown he can be the "guy" or a solid contributor and passer too. Think that aspect of his game (passing and to a lesser extent, willingness to rebound) is actually underrated. He does a lot of stuff well and hope he does amazingly well. He's a fantastic guy and we should all be rooting for him if he leaves.

I think he's the most naturally fluid player that's been at Syracuse since Wes. He just looks like he's playing at a slightly different speed than everyone else on the court.

But but but I thought players could never improve their draft stock as 22 years olds!? So Eli has gone from not even listed among the top 80 NBA prospects to a 2nd round pick which obviously means he HAS to leave. Don't take a chance on injury. You can either sit at the end of the bench or more likely ride buses and play before hundreds of fans in anonymity for thousands of dollars. Did you hear me? I said THOUSANDS of dollars!! Or you can go back to school, go to classes, eat free food, fly around the country, play in front of thousands of fans, with almost every game on national TV, see yourself on ESPN highlights, magazine covers, websites and blogs. Come on now son. It's all about the do-ray-me! Who cares if your mama doesn't know if you play for Grand Rapids or Rapid City! She'll be able to keep you up on your old teammates as she watches them play in her new recliner and keeps hitting refresh on the G-League homepage to see score updates (if that's even a thing?!).

In all seriousness, Eli is probably our best NBA prospect since Grant. And Grant left a year too soon! ;)

Age only matters for players that are drafted for upside and potential.
Those are lottery picks or players in the teens.
After the top 18 teams draft for roles on their team.
The second round is all players drafted for a second unit or cheap depth on the roster.

Hughes has worked himself into being a draft pick.
I don’t see Hughes like Malcolm Brogdon but good players are found in the second round.

John Hollinger listed Eli as 1 of his 9 undervalued draft prospects and echoed many of the positive things said here. He did reference the "Syracuse Stain" (i.e., playing zone). I think that's bunk w/ all the switching and increased use of zone in the NBA these days. I honestly think playing zone could be a net plus w/ the direction NBA defense is going.

Love Hughes, wish him the best.

Absolutely hate that we wasted his second/last year here putting below-average talent around him.

Have you guys seen this year's draft?? Talk about a bunch of bums. I would be shocked to see him go in the 2nd. He has 1st round talent easy.

Have you guys seen this year's draft?? Talk about a bunch of bums. I would be shocked to see him go in the 2nd. He has 1st round talent easy.

I was literally just looking at a mock draft. There’s like 8-10 good players who will impact a team right away and even that may be too many. He has some good workouts and will get drafted easily. This is the weakest draft in some time

Yes a better shooting , better handling version of Wes Johnson. Johnson was the superior athlete but by how much ? It’s not that I think he should be a lottery pick .. it’s more I have no idea how Johnson went as high as he did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom