Interesting.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting..

Just like most here said the B10 had no interest in rutgirls.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Rutgers had 2 things the B10 wanted:

1) Access to the NYC DMA

2) A decent football recruiting ground

UCONN is redundant as far as #1 goes and strikes out with #2.

1) Access to the NYC DMA

Things always change. Nothing is ever out of the question. I never saw anyone posting why rutgirls would be a fit for the B10. Hindsight is 20-20.

1) Access to the NYC DMA

Actually, UConn covers the Hartford-New Haven DMA, which is 1.1 million households strong. Its the 30th biggest DMA in the country. Not a bad little chunk of change to be had by getting a cable network on an expanded basic tier in 1.1 million homes.

I wonder if UConn just doesn't *feel* big enough for the Big Ten. They have a 40K seat stadium. Rutgers and Maryland are at 53K and 54K respectively. Maryland has 37K students in College Park, Rutger has more than 50K I believe in Piscataway. UConn has 22K in Storrs.

UConn is a perfect fit for the ACC, but sadly for them the timing was just terrible. The football-centric schools needed to get their way, given how they weren't totally thrilled with SU and Pitt joining, and how Maryland's departure set off another wave of nervousness re: stability. Louisville was them getting their way.

The thought that the football schools in the ACC weren't too thrilled with Syracuse and Pitt is kind of funny. The football schools in the ACC - Florida State, Clemson and to a lesser extent Miami and VaTech - need to start playing football. It hasn't been quite up to snuff.

Things always change. Nothing is ever out of the question. I never saw anyone posting why rutgirls would be a fit for the B10. Hindsight is 20-20.

I never said one word about Rutgers and the big 10. Not one word. I am saying that the Big 10 has no interest in Uconn. could that change. Sure. Will it? Probably not.

You can't read everything Bees. But there were a few posters who specifically noted that Rutgers was a VERY large state flagship similar to PSU, OSU and other B10 schools. A couple posters also pointed out that New Jersey was the only northeastern state with a proportionately large crop of high school D1 talent. I think most of us discounted Rutgers because...well because it was Rutgers, with a historically disastrous athletics program that was bleeding money.

Ahem.

If UConn goes to the B1G, BC and Syracuse are screwed.
I do not follow. Please explain.

You could throw an extra $5M per year and an SEC schedule at UConn and it would not make them a better program than the 'Cuse.

I do not follow. Please explain.

You could throw an extra $5M per year and an SEC schedule at UConn and it would not make them a better program than the 'Cuse.

I wanted UConn to join the ACC so I could finally get to see SU beat them at the Rent.

I never said one word about Rutgers and the big 10. Not one word. I am saying that the Big 10 has no interest in Uconn. could that change. Sure. Will it? Probably not.

Thanks for your interest in my post. But I wasn't replying to anything you did or didn't say. I replied to Maxwell's post.

I wanted UConn to join the ACC so I could finally get to see SU beat them at the Rent.
I have a statistics class for you.

Doug Marrone is absolution for the previous ~5 years of SU football, which are a historical blip.

Thanks for your interest in my post. But I wasn't replying to anything you did or didn't say. I replied to Maxwell's post.

LOL you quoted my post. It's in column 4.

I have a statistics class for you.

Doug Marrone is absolution for the previous ~5 years of SU football, which are a historical blip.

Let's hope so.

We have no loyalties to UConn. LVille was the right play. Good on SU for recognizing this and supporting that move.

I think it speaks volumes that SU has aligned itself with FSU/Clemson rather than the Tobbaco Road Mafia. Mark this down...that could lead to trouble down the road.
It could also potentially save us down the road if all hell breaks loose.

Considering the B1G as automatic help for wither Rutgers or UConn is kind of presumptuous. The B1G has its big dogs, and they will remain at the top. Even PSU has not benefited in terms of W/L and National Championships. Sure, PSU gets more money and Rutgers will too, as would UConn if taken by the B1G; however, history indicates that bottom feeders and punching bags tend to stay in their respective tiers with only occasional appearances in the upper echelons. See Indiana, Illinois, Vandy, ISU.

I believe that Rutgers takes the money, balances its books and proudly becomes the punching bag on the right extreme of the B1G. Snooki State Art Institute caught lightening in a bottle with Syracuse down (thanks, PP and GRob), Louisville down, WVU as the only true Big Dog with Cincy having the hot hand. This season indicates that SSAI (A.k.a. Rutgers) is fluke and that they are not the elite team everyone has pretended them to be. The Big Boys need someone to beat up or they have to play each other and get beaten out of contention, the Scarlet Knights will play the role.

Just like most here said the B10 had no interest in rutgirls.

The B1G doesn't have any interest in Rutgers. Just use of their stadium to showcase the big dogs to the NYC metro alumni. Same with MD.

Only scenario I can think of that UConn joins the B10 and it doesn't involve doomsday for the ACC (at which point it wouldn't matter anyway) is as a partner with Kansas. If Pac moved on UT/OK, that's possible.

I think most people deep down expected RU to get into either the B10 or ACC. Just didn't think it would be with popping on Maryland. Especially after the whole PSU thing. Who knows--timing could have been related (besides upcoming contract negotiation). One year to get through the initial shock, and then have an expansion to officially move forward.

Edit: Also funny how they expanded the same week ND moves up to #1. Starting to feel like they're done with ND.

You can't read everything Bees. But there were a few posters who specifically noted that Rutgers was a VERY large state flagship similar to PSU, OSU and other B10 schools. A couple posters also pointed out that New Jersey was the only northeastern state with a proportionately large crop of high school D1 talent. I think most of us discounted Rutgers because...well because it was Rutgers, with a historically disastrous athletics program that was bleeding money.

Well I am one of those that said rutgers would ne in a conference. Likely the b10. My point in reply to yours was that nobody here can say anything definitively, because we dont know. Just like people now saying UConn will never get in the b10, there were as many if not more, saying the same about rutgirls. Whether that was you specifically or not wasn't the point.

LOL you quoted my post. It's in column 4.

You replied to the wrong post. The one you quoted was my response to Maxwell.

To get back to the original post, I'm damn happy SU is siding with Clemson and FSU. I am a football guy first, and always will be. I think people underestimate Gross' focus on football. It was probably that focus that lead him astray with the hewhomustnotbenamed hire. Guy came from USC, after all.

Also, thank God we aren't sucking athletically right now during expansion times. Huge thank you to all staff members.

UConn will join the acc IF bc goes to the big 10. If bc doesn't leave the acc, whats the point?

Fwiw I would rather have uconn than bc much like I preferred lville to maryland but unless someone leaves there isnt room. Spot 15 is Notre Dame's and 16 would be whoever they want which is probably Navy unless another big time program shows interest. If Notre Dame doesn't take the 15th spot, why move beyond 14?

Uconn should be praying that last weeks thread about bc to the big 10 is true so they can be the 14th acc team.

Edit: Also funny how they expanded the same week ND moves up to #1. Starting to feel like they're done with ND.

I think the point of the Big 10 trying so hard to blow up the ACC is partly to ensure themselves Notre Dame has nowhere else to land...but they're now willing to play the long game to get there.